Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

percentage of passes is increasing in non-"basic" subjects

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the full statistics for GCSE's have been released

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3173896.stm

whats worrying is that whilst numbr of 5 Passes had risen to 58% for girls,and 49% for boys

but however only 38% of students achieved a pass in maths, english language and science

backs up the arguement for micky mouse subjects potentially lowering the value of the qualifications as a whole IMO

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Subjects like GNVQ ICT which is worth 4 GCSE's is raising the pass rate. It is mostly coursework too much the teacher can do for you. The whole Education System is a mess!

The Results were published in my local paper..... not even 40% of the kids in Stoke got a grade C in English Language..... the figure was lower for boys. Maths I think it was 20%. Extremely low. However the number of 5 A* - C was low too.... 43%.

Ihave said time and time again... the 5 A* - C should only include Maths, English and Science.

yeh isnt it, even there it still shows then, 5 A*-C pass rate was 40-odd% and maths and english was only 20%

kind of impossible to measure 5 A-c in terms of maths english and science, the benchmark should cover the 5 passes to show versitility, and the 3 basic subjects to cover basics
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Subjects like GNVQ ICT which is worth 4 GCSE's is raising the pass rate. It is mostly coursework too much the teacher can do for you. The whole Education System is a mess!

The Results were published in my local paper..... not even 40% of the kids in Stoke got a grade C in English Language..... the figure was lower for boys. Maths I think it was 20%. Extremely low. However the number of 5 A* - C was low too.... 43%.

Ihave said time and time again... the 5 A* - C should only include Maths, English and Science.

yeh isnt it, even there it still shows then, 5 A*-C pass rate was 40-odd% and maths and english was only 20%

kind of impossible to measure 5 A-c in terms of maths english and science, the benchmark should cover the 5 passes to show versitility, and the 3 basic subjects to cover basics