Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Plastic surgery....gone too far ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have any of you been watching the programme Operations Live which has been screened recently.

Some of the operations they are doing to me seem a total waste of money. Like the guy who was aged 50 (or somewhere near 50) who had implants into his bum to give his bum a fuller appearance.
women who have operations after having children to make them more tighter and like virgins again.

Are we now turning into the American way of thinking which is if you dont like it change it ?
People never seemed so hooked on surgery years ago, yet now it seems as though we will try anything with plastic surgery.

Your views ?

Comments

• Options
    To be fair, I class myself as having cosmetic surgery.

When I was seven my front teeth were smashed out, the adult ones so I was screwed with a wonky face. At 16 I had them capped on the NHS. The NHS won't pay again if I break them.

It helped my confidence, but it was hardly an essential operation, it doesn't even make eating easier because I'm not supposed to bite with my front teeth (200 tons PSI incidentally).

There's stuff that can be qualified on the NHS, for psycological and physical reasons people need breast reductions, birth mark removal, scar tissue cleaning up-ness.

But a bum lift at 50 is a little far.
  • Options
    You want to make yourself into a human cat hybrid then go ahead. BUT, I dont want to watch it on TV.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My view on it is in the thread at Entertainment.
  • Options
    I think plastic surgery will become the equivalent of piercings for the new generation. I am expecting my child to hate me because i won't let her have a boob job at 15. Plastic surgery is becoming more accesible and cheaper, and with a society scarily obsessed by looks, the amoung of plastic surgery is going to soar, look how much women already spend on make-up and beauty mags. Women are constantly pressurised to look amazing, and plastic surgery will be the easy way to conform to the ideal. I think it will be horrible though, nobody will be real anymore.

On the other hand, vagina tightening is one surgery i might do, i still want to be able to enjoy sex after i have sprogs, surgery for pleasure, not vanity is deft ok in my book.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    You want to make yourself into a human cat hybrid then go ahead. BUT, I dont want to watch it on TV.

Why not?
  • Options
    well in one good way the programme really put me off wating any surgery-I had wanted to have an op but after seeing how brutal things really are-well my mind is completly changed.

I guess as a kid I did sort of have it too as I had a cleft palate so that was fixed up-without it I would certainly have a had a less happy life due to potentially more teasing etc at school.

Anyways less about me, I think that plastic surgery is now becoming too much of a norm. I think really it should only be done for people who need it-say those who are experiencing extreme confidence problems (not just bigger boobs to get ahead in their career!) or for those who it will cause medical probelms later if it isn't treated-or fianlly those who require it as they are already experienceing medical problems due to it-such as say those who have breast cancer being able to have a chest again.

Still I think the bigger concern than the show is the ads in the girly glossies-like cosmo. Even I cut those out when I wanted an op.

Beckyboo-I do think we are getting to that view that if you don't like it fix it-and having the cash available to do so in alot of cases means people will do it more and more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Why not?

What do you mean why not? I just dont fancy it, thats all.

Anyone can have whatever surgury they fancy, I just dont want to watch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Why not?

because these TV programmes are designed to appeal to the lowest, the most base, form of human voeyeurism. It's not a "documentary", it's showing something for the "eew" factor, in order to get ratings.

Anyone who watches these programmes is in urgent and dire need of a life.
  • Options
    well grusome cosmetic sugery is er a great oxymoron :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    because these TV programmes are designed to appeal to the lowest, the most base, form of human voeyeurism. It's not a "documentary", it's showing something for the "eew" factor, in order to get ratings.

Anyone who watches these programmes is in urgent and dire need of a life.

I agree that it is one step furthur in societies voyeuristic obssesion, but on the other hand it could be a good deterrant, do you see what they do to people? Puts me off some procedures, and some people don't even look that better afterwards.
  • Options
    vanessa feltz using the word vagina and having to watch flick through channels and see the womans groin being operated on, has seriously put me off sex, wish i was gay now! lol :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger

On the other hand, vagina tightening is one surgery i might do, i still want to be able to enjoy sex after i have sprogs, surgery for pleasure, not vanity is deft ok in my book.

What did they do years ago when families were much larger ? Back then it was the 'norm' to have 5/6 kids and did it mean they couldnt have a fulfilled sex life?

I personally do agree with plastic surgery to a degree, for people who feel self consious ie boobs, noses, teeth things which can be seen by others and gives people a real boost if they get it done. However things like bum implants etc are really not needed.

I hate to see some famous stars who you can tell have had face lifts and their face actually looks a mess, they look fake and would be better growing old gracefully, not having face lift after face lift.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

I hate to see some famous stars who you can tell have had face lifts and their face actually looks a mess, they look fake and would be better growing old gracefully, not having face lift after face lift.

Some holywood stars are coming out and saying that they're against this new trend. Halle Berry for one.
  • Options
    What did they do years ago when families were much larger ? Back then it was the 'norm' to have 5/6 kids and did it mean they couldnt have a fulfilled sex life?

It depends what you mean by a "fulfiiled" sex life, I know women who have had babies that say they feel less sensation in sex, and bar kegel exercises their is not much you can do about it, I just think it is nice that there is surgery that can increase sensitivity again.

And just because we didn’t have the facility 10 years ago, doesn’t mean it is wrong to use it now. What sort of argument is that? Should we ban hearing aids for people who are hard of hearing because people 20 years ago had to do without?
  • Options
    It depends what you mean by a "fulfiiled" sex life, I know women who have had babies that say they feel less sensation in sex, and bar kegel exercises their is not much you can do about it, I just think it is nice that there is surgery that can increase sensitivity again.

I mean a fulfilled sex life with no complaints. Its never gonna be exactly the same once you are no longer a virgin is it. Im speaking for myself after having children I really have no problem in that department ;)
    And just because we didn’t have the facility 10 years ago, doesn’t mean it is wrong to use it now. What sort of argument is that? Should we ban hearing aids for people who are hard of hearing because people 20 years ago had to do without?

I didnt say it was wrong, I just dont agree with it. I think people these days find too much to complain about and vaginal tightening is one of them. I think if they have not got a medical problem with it then why interfere ?
  • Options
    I mean a fulfilled sex life with no complaints. Its never gonna be exactly the same once you are no longer a virgin is it. Im speaking for myself after having children I really have no problem in that department ;)

I didnt say it was wrong, I just dont agree with it. I think people these days find too much to complain about and vaginal tightening is one of them. I think if they have not got a medical problem with it then why interfere ?

Ok, fair enough, I haven't had kids, so i can't comment from personal experience, it's just what some mates have complained of, i'm glad you can still enjoy it ;)

Vaginal tightening is extreme, but i think all plastic surgery is, and unless you have it done for medical reasons, or because you were in an accident ie. car crash, it is playing into the pure vanity of our society, but this isn't the case for tightening, at least that is one procedure that women do for themselves, for their own pleasure, not to please societies whims.
  • Options
    The vagina is elastic, so having a "bucket" after kids is more down to laziness than anything else.

There's been adverts for some TV programme and they had "before and after" mugshots- to a person, the "after" looked worse.
  • Options
    Ok, fair enough, I haven't had kids, so i can't comment from personal experience, it's just what some mates have complained of, i'm glad you can still enjoy it ;)

Vaginal tightening is extreme, but i think all plastic surgery is, and unless you have it done for medical reasons, or because you were in an accident ie. car crash, it is playing into the pure vanity of our society, but this isn't the case for tightening, at least that is one procedure that women do for themselves, for their own pleasure, not to please societies whims.

erm one phrase - PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES, its muscle and tissue inside so can be made tobe non loose
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    erm one phrase - PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES, its muscle and tissue inside so can be made tobe non loose

Ok - this is to Kermit too, if the vagina was so elastic, why do guys constantly go on about girls either having a loose or tight pussy?

I don't think either of you to have had kids, and admittingly i haven't either, but i know girls who have and i know some, not all, who can't get the elasticity back afterwards, due to the snip or just other reasons.

And yes exercise can help, but as with anything "elastic" you can't do anything once it's reached its tensile strength.
  • Options
    I think plastic surgery will become the equivalent of piercings for the new generation. I am expecting my child to hate me because i won't let her have a boob job at 15.

Actually it is said that our generation has been rewarded so many liberties, that there is no going lower. Sociolgists predict that the kids which are born today and moreso in 10-20 years will be the restricited generation, being upheld by rules and regulations.

Either way, regarding plastic surgery I am kind of mixed on this.
    I understand a woman with a small a-cup, wanting her bust enhanced to a c-cup. I do not agree with a woman having a c-cup, enhancing her bust to an f-cup or whatever.

I understand people wanting hair transplants, people getting their teeth fixed (personally I have had treatmens at the dentists for more than 9 years. As fiend85, I at the age of 9 ripped out my front tooth at the playground but luckily gotthe very same tooth re-inserted.), people going through lazer treatment for their skin etc.
    Basically aesthetic and psychological surgry is ok in my opinion. Pure vanity is a waste of money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Actually it is said that our generation has been rewarded so many liberties, that there is no going lower. Sociolgists predict that the kids which are born today and moreso in 10-20 years will be the restricited generation, being upheld by rules and regulations.

I hope you are right, no way i want my kids doing what i did when i was young.
  • Options
    Right, having gone away to think about this. So long as unnecessary plastic surgery isn't provided on the NHS it doesn't really bother me.

It's a disconcerting and depressing trend, and I don't like the idea of children growing up to think they need to have surgery to be attractive, because it's simply not the case.

I don't want to watch it on TV, there are better things that could be on, like a party political broadcast from the monster raving looneys.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If there's a genuine PROBLEM, like you were born with a deformity or you had an accident or something, surgery is perfectly OK. In other cases it's perfectly wrong.
    If someone has a self esteem problem, there are always psychologists. Having surgery isn't facing your problem, it's running away from it.