Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A question for you all...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...Why do we have laws?

Comments

• Options
    Re: A question for you all...
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    ...Why do we have laws?
    so we can have something to break.
  • Options
    To protect those who can't protect themselves. And to preserve to our best ability the rights of people.
  • Options
    Re: Re: A question for you all...
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

pstt... plates, mirrors, not need laws for breaking.
  • Options
    lol. To be honest, I'm trying to get some ideas for an essay I'm doing for law. I know the basic reasons but it's hard to put into a 400 words. So far I've got -

I feel there are quite a few reasons for us having laws. Most of the time laws are taken for granted but they have been developed over the years so as to stop society from falling apart. The biggest point of having laws is to allow our society to run as smoothly and as fairly as possible, also to protect the rights of its citizens.

Laws are basically a list of rules which everyone is expected to follow, without them there would be absolute chaos and turmoil.

In one way, laws could be seen as a type of rule to control behaviour between people. We have rules in all areas of life, for example, in schools you have rules such as no running in the corridors, in certain public buildings there is a no smoking rule, at home we have all different sorts of rules. Rules seem to be an almost inevitable part of any organised social interaction, societies generally develop these rules over time.
    The basic purposes of law often revolve around ideas of protection and the preservation of the peace, which is the basic concern of any state. So, laws are passed about crime and disorder and also the peaceful settlement of conflicts between citizens.

I don't know whether that's classed as cheating asking for ideas but thought I'd give it a go. :D
  • Options
    *grins* not cheating asking for ideas.

But if you expected us to write your essay you'd be in trouble.

I suggest doing a spider diagram of all the reasons we have laws. Then write a paragraph on each. 400 words, no waiting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    *grins* not cheating asking for ideas.

But if you expected us to write your essay you'd be in trouble.

I suggest doing a spider diagram of all the reasons we have laws. Then write a paragraph on each. 400 words, no waiting.

lol. Yeah that's actually a good idea coz I tend to have a lot of ideas in my head but never know what order to put them in or how to seperate the paragraphs, thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    it would be impossible to thrive without rule ...without boundaries.
    laws should be like safety barriers. fences.
    if there were no traffic laws how safe would you feel out there?
  • Options
    To restrain people from using their freedom to do as they please when it causes harm, distress or irritation to another person.
  • Options
    Check out the attached picture Magdal, doing a spider diagram can really help to sort out what you're thinking.

Do a brainstorm first on one bit of paper, use it for scribbling things as you think of them. Then order them on a spider-diagram, then flesh it out into an essay.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    :thumb:

If seriously there are Laws and ’laws’. Everything that was said above is true. But these Laws are the same as laws of nature, they are not invented, they are discovered. Step by step, generation by generation, people get know what is right and what is wrong.
    But there is an absolutely different kind of law that actually are not laws at all but rather rules by Prison Administration. Laws invented and enforced by government. Their aim is as simple as a knockout- to keep inmates in line. Or saying this in a ‘clever’ way- to maximise power of government and income of its servants ( that is received with using this power) with corresponding minimising of freedom of its subjects and (consequently) their incomes earned due to this freedom.
  • Options
    We have laws which too many people think are easy to break. They know when they break the law they will get away scott free.
    Why have a law and then someone break that law get away with it ? like first time offenders, we all know they will get off lightly........but why ? They have broke the law havent they ?

Its like my Daughter if she plays me up and I say to her 'continue that behaviour and you are grounded for the week' then I have to follow through with what I said, I cant let her off because thats sending the wrong signals.
  • Options
    Laws.
    It's said there are 2 types of law.
    Natural laws, laws against violence, murder and rape.

Then there are the other laws. The laws created over centuries to protect people and property.
    We have natural laws because 99% of the population believe to go without them would cause anarchy. People are repulsed at the idea of murdering and raping people, so it ism illegal.

Property laws were created by those with property millenia ago. They made it a crime to steal, a crime to rob, a crime to cause damage.
    There's no easy answer as to why we have these laws, I believe there are 2 possibilities:
    The belief that without law, and order society would collapse. The population would be reduced to bands of barbarians with no regard for others as they steal, rape and murder.
    Another possibility is that the laws are created by those with power to protect the weak.
    In a sense there is a big brother watching over us. If someone wrongs us you go to your bigger brother and ask for his prtoection. Wether you get him to come and beat 10 shades of shit out of the bully at school, or send the boys in blue to come and arrest the youth that has just slashed your tyres.
    He also does what he can to make sure he is the top dog, creating laws that help keep him at the top of the food chain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    I feel there are quite a few reasons for us having laws. Most of the time laws are taken for granted but they have been developed over the years so as to stop society from falling apart. The biggest point of having laws is to allow our society to run as smoothly and as fairly as possible, also to protect the rights of its citizens.
    What's really going to fry your noodle later on is "How can rights exist in the first place, to be protected by laws, without those rights first being asserted in a legal framework?"

The answer to that, and the original question, is that we have/create laws because we like them. They makes us feel comfortable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Check out the attached picture Magdal, doing a spider diagram can really help to sort out what you're thinking.

Do a brainstorm first on one bit of paper, use it for scribbling things as you think of them. Then order them on a spider-diagram, then flesh it out into an essay.

hmm someone uses openmind
  • Options
    and this is why we have laws:

all people have a vague sense of right and wrong, many ignore it, but they still have the sense of it

from that you can deduce that it is inevitable that we will have laws and a structure to a society
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    hmm someone uses openmind

mindmap actually, thought it'd help though.