Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my girlfriend of about a month who i liked so much just told me something about her.
to cut a long story short she was raped by a friends relative who was over from another country and was 21 and she is 14. she was really scared and think she fainted as he was taking advantage of her and doesnt know if he used protection or not but hasnt had her period since this happend (the start of summer). she hasnt had it checked out though, which im quite worried about.

anyone help me with what we can do?

Comments

• Options
    you should get it checked out, though it is possible the fear of the idea has stopped her having her period, but get it checked out asap
  • Options
    try get her to get a test done

and she should speak to some people, like rape helpliine thing

maybe the police
  • Options
    she's scared of talking to 'outside' people, cause theyre strangers. but she's seeing her counsellor tomorrow and said she'll talk to her about it.
  • Options
    The first thing to do would be to tell someone. Rape is a serious offence and the man that raped her should have charges brought against him. Not only has he commited rape but it was with an underage girl.
    Of course this is up to your girlfriend. She may not want to press charges as she is obviously scared and confused by the whole ordeal. Talk to her about it and tell her that she should tell someone.

She really should take a pregnancy test. If she hasn't had her period since the start of the summer and she's unsure about whether protection was used it's quite possible that she could be pregnant. You can buy a pregnancy test from your local chemist or go to your doctor.

She should also think about going to get herself checked out for STIs. She could go to her doctor and ask about this or go to her local GUM clinic. It'll be a scary experience but atleast it'll put her mind at ease.

Lastly I hope that you will offer her lots of support. You said that you 'liked' her...don't let something like this change your opinion and make you not like her. Something happened that was out of her control and she really needs you to be there for her. She's had the courage to tell you this so please stand by her.

Hope everything goes ok for you both
  • Options
    First of all, you need to encourage your friend to get a pregnancy test and to take an STI test. Even if her attacker did use protection, she should do this.

Secondly, you need to re-assure your friend that you are there for her. It took a lot of courage for her to tell anyone, and you need to make sure that this courage is rewarded. Don't pressurise her to seek professional help, as quite often a trusting friend's ear is enough, but do suggest that she looks at the opportunities for help.

For both you and your friend, these are the details for Rape Crisis.
  • Options
    that rape crisis site is about credit cards :/

yeah i know ill stand by her, im the only one shes told and i couldnt live with myself if i let her go through it on her own.
  • Options
    So it is.

I lifted that from one of the factsheets on TheSite. Obviously they didn't keep the domain subscription.

Have a look at the "info" section of TheSite.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Keira
    Ik heb zelf Nooit in een dergelijke situatie gezeten, dus uhm...?
    Dat mensen toch elke keer weer met zulke goede :thumb: adviezen aankomen, daar sta ik daarom elke keer weer versteld van. Kan me niet voorstellen dat iedereen dit heeft meegemaakt. :eek2: sorry, ik had even geen zin om het in het engels te doen.

I just ran that through babelfish and it seemed to make sense. I didn't know you were Dutch.

Nice sentiment:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Keira
    Ik heb zelf Nooit in een dergelijke situatie gezeten, dus uhm...?
    Dat mensen toch elke keer weer met zulke goede :thumb: adviezen aankomen, daar sta ik daarom elke keer weer versteld van. Kan me niet voorstellen dat iedereen dit heeft meegemaakt. :eek2: sorry, ik had even geen zin om het in het engels te doen.

it is indeed a nice sentiment.
    I have never been present myself in such a situation, therefore uhm...? That people nevertheless each time with such good recommendations arrives, there I resist for this reason each time mended of. Me doesnot can present that everyone has experienced this. sorry, I had to just as no sense do it in English.

There's the babelfish everyone.
  • Options
    Anyway, you're g/f needs to get checked out, encourage her to talk to someone about it, but if she really doesn't want to press charges you can't make her.
  • Options
    yeah she's gonna speak to her counsellor tomorrow about it.
    and we're gonna go to a chemist and buy a test thing on wednesday.

would pressing charges be worth it considering the guy lives in australia?
  • Options
    Originally posted by redcrayon
    yeah she's gonna speak to her counsellor tomorrow about it.
    and we're gonna go to a chemist and buy a test thing on wednesday.

yeah, if the case is strong they can file for extradition charges. Get some advice about it though.
  • Options
    yeah, but i think getting the pregnancy thing sorted should be sorted out first. ill talk to her about it when shes ready.
  • Options

It would depend on a lot of things.

How much proof is there?
    Would she be able to face the stress of a court case?

I would discuss it with your local police station or with the CAB.
  • Options
    CAB?

she says that the guy 'isnt worth it', but i for one dont want him getting away with it. it was her first time too, just seems so bad. im sure when other people eventually find out too they wont be happy about it.

testing tomorrow :(
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    Your girlfriend is obviously going through a really tough time at the moment and has all sorts of things to deal with. It might be useful for you to take a look at this Q&A, although the question isn't exactly the same as your girlfriend's situation the answer contains lots of really useful info and links to organisations that can help.

Oh and btw - the national Rape Crisis has closed down, we're in the process of updating all our articles that mention it. It is useful to know that local Rape Crisis Centres are still in operation, you can find one in your area here.

CB
  • Options
    this is very serious and I think it should be moved out of " sex " and into health or something.

I wish your girl friend all the best and I am very sorry to hear what happened.
    Her mental and physical health have to come first, and then you can consider the grounds for litegation.
  • Options
    CAB?

she says that the guy 'isnt worth it', but i for one dont want him getting away with it. it was her first time too, just seems so bad. im sure when other people eventually find out too they wont be happy about it.

testing tomorrow :(

The Citizen's Advice Bureau, a voluntary body who provide free legal advice. There's one in every town.

Don't pressurise her into reporting him, it has to be her own decision as she is the one who would have to go through the stress of a court trial, if it came to that.

All you can do is be there for her, and take your time with her. If you start having a sexual relationship then that will be the time when she will really need you, as sometimes the victims of rape only really feel the horror when they have loving sexual relations.