Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Moving to New Zealand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I see NZ government has just lowered the points you need to get into the countryto live ... Anyone from there wanna tell us a bit about NZ I fancy a change from the UK :p

Main skill is in IT and Project Management so don't know if there's much callfor that kind of work there.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You wanna PM Justin Credible.

he moved out there a few years back, and now he's some uber-star DJ type person. Built himself up from nowt.
  • Options
    Get yourself into a company that has offices in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch and go for a transfer perhaps?
  • Options
    DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    In terms of touristy stuff and scenery, there's a thread here which covers that.

As for the migration/work thing, I haven't lived in NZ for about 7 years so aren't exactly up to speed with what opportunities are available. But basically, Auckland is where most people end up - it has about a third of the country's 4 million people and is where most companies have their head offices. IT-wise it's where most of the work is; it certainly was where most of the web stuff was based when I was living there.

Wellington is a nice city too - only has about 450,000 people so can feel pretty small. But because it's where Parliament is based there are plenty of civil service jobs (which includes IT obviously). Wellington has lots of cool cafes and bars and is where the LOTR films (and currently King Kong) were put together.

I know very little about the South Island but never really liked Christchurch much. It would be a good place to be based if you're particularly keen on skiing/boarding as it's close to the mountains.

On a general note, NZ is definitely a change from the UK. The weather is generally better, it's got very few people per square mile and the beaches are something I miss all the time. The downside is it's a long, long way from anywhere, the media is brain-dead and because of the aforementioned low population, there isn't as much variety in the kinds of jobs available.

I think you should go for it.
  • Options
    sorry to sound really dense, but what are the points that u need to enter? is it like qualitys that you must posess ie a list of points? i suppose i had never really thort about how you would qualify for residency in another non-european contry
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mel-H
    sorry to sound really dense, but what are the points that u need to enter? is it like qualitys that you must posess ie a list of points? i suppose i had never really thort about how you would qualify for residency in another non-european contry

It would be made up of things like your savings, education, age, experience, etc
  • Options
    Only just seen this post... :rolleyes:

Diamond Geeza - what do you want to know mate? :)
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind movin there actually... or maybe to Canada.

How is New Zealand?
  • Options
    To save me typing it all again, check out this post:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66359

Any more questions, just shout out and I'll answer them too!