Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age Differences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just been speaking to a very mature 17 year old who's now engaged to a 33 year old guy with an 8 year old son - a 16 year age difference!!!

Pretty huge age difference but I think they'll be fine.

Anyone been in a big age difference relationship?

If so did it work out, did friendsand family disapprove event hough you both maybe fine about it?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, not me. But my dad. I don't know how old his wife is, but there must be about 20 years difference. They both seem happy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    19 year age gap thank you very much

but he has no children or previous marriages.. thankfully

You mean you and your boyfriend? He's 19 years older then you?
  • Options
    dad's 60 mum's 40. Go figure :p. They met 17 years ago or so, can't remember exactly..
  • Options
    Am I the only guy who is the young one in a relationship, although there is only a 4 year age gap so its nothing huge or anything, Just notice how it is usually always the guy who is the older one
  • Options
    um...i was 15 and he was 25, didn't work out, no trust
    i was 17 and he was 31, once again didn't work out.
    i was 19 and she was 34. She wanted too much committment

yeah they are my age diferences in relationships
  • Options
    I've always gone for the mature older girl, the girl I was going to go on a date with was 27 and I've been with someone a few years older, one of my ex's was a good 4/5years older, i wouldn't go to badly I think 10yrs older is my limit though, but there is nothing wrong with it,
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    um...i was 15 and he was 25, didn't work out, no trust

Who didn't trust who, if you don't mind me asking. :)

Mr Miffy is 3 years younger than me. Not that it amounts to a hill of beans at our age.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Who didn't trust who, if you don't mind me asking. :)

Mr Miffy is 3 years younger than me. Not that it amounts to a hill of beans at our age.

how old are you :confused: i didnt figure you for someone that old:p
  • Options
    I'm 33. Old enough to be your mother young man :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    I've always gone for the mature older girl, the girl I was going to go on a date with was 27

But you being 16, that would be way weird. I mean, for you it's great :p a girl with experience and all, but for a 27 year old girl I don't know, I guess it depends on the individual situation and people involved but if I was 27 I wouldn't be going out with a 16 year old girl.

And heres the controversial and sexist bit (there has to be one): it's worse for girls to do it as well.
  • Options
    I'm 33. Old enough to be your mother young man :p

lol... barely miffy... barely :p

and yes Rich i understand what you mean, :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    But you being 16, that would be way weird. I mean, for you it's great :p a girl with experience and all, but for a 27 year old girl I don't know, I guess it depends on the individual situation and people involved but if I was 27 I wouldn't be going out with a 16 year old girl.

i'm only 23, and personally i wouldn't touch anyone younger than 20. it'd feel very, very wrong. when i'm 30, i might still have 20 as my age limit though :p consenting adults and all.

and mr. kaff is 8 months younger than me. ooh, the scandal.
  • Options
    lol... barely miffy... barely :p

I have a son 2 years younger than you.
  • Options
    I have a son 2 years younger than you.

thats why i said barely, you'd been 17 when i was born
  • Options
    Ah. Sorry, misunderstood you.
  • Options
    Ah. Sorry, misunderstood you.

i figured you for someone younger:p about... 8yrs younger,
  • Options
    i figured you for someone younger:p about... 8yrs younger,

Most people do... last time someone tried to guess my age they said 23! That was only last year. People are usually fairly shocked to find out I've got 5 children. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

and mr. kaff is 8 months younger than me. ooh, the scandal.

i read that as 8 years :eek: and thort....hmmm...he looks older than 15!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i'm only 23, and personally i wouldn't touch anyone younger than 20. it'd feel very, very wrong. when i'm 30, i might still have 20 as my age limit though :p consenting adults and all.
    Well, in many ways, the age difference between (examples) a 50-year-old and a 30-y.o. is much more little than between 40 and 20.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Well, in many ways, the age difference between (examples) a 50-year-old and a 30-y.o. is much more little than between 40 and 20.

i think as soon as people get past their early twenties, age differences stop mattering so much. it's just when one's a kid, and one's very much an adult that it's scary.
  • Options
    Mr RB is 6 years older than me. I was 20 when we first got together, and he was 26. I did notice the age difference tbh, he acted older than me but we got past that and it doesnt really make a jot of difference now.
  • Options
    It's strange, out of the people i've dated/gone out with the one relationship i was happiest with was with someone 16 years my senior. He was i suppose what i would always have said my ideal man would be. The male version of me :) I've never felt so comfortable in my life. Never bothered either of us the age gap. Sure we got comments but off people who's opinions didn't matter a fuck. My friends knew i was happy and that was all that mattered to them.

Unfortunately shit happens and we lose the thing we most want.
  • Options
    I have a bit of a reputation for going out with younger guys the biggest age gap being 5 years - but as you get older the gaps become loads less - for example it was a masive scandal when I was doing my A-levels and going out with someone who *gasp* was going their GCSE's!!! But now if I was to go out with a 22 year old I am sure noone would bat an eyelid.

Having said that I am about to marry someone 6 years older than me so age really isn't a big deal.

I dont' think I would go out with someone under the age of 20 though.

Having said that though i tried to explain to a 14 year old why it would just be plain wrong if the bloke she fancies who is 25 fancied her back and she just didn't get it.
  • Options
    Someone of her age will go through changes no matter how mature she is. She will change her life style a lot in the next 5 years, and I doubt he will be part of it.
  • Options
    My new interest is 2 years younger than me :eek: :blush: I never thought I would date anybody younger than me! He's so young he still has braces! :eek:
  • Options
    I'm living with my boyfriend who is 35, and I am 18. He's been married before and has a 14 year old son by her. And we are very happy, in love and hope to get married in the not so distant future.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I'm living with my boyfriend who is 35, and I am 18. He's been married before and has a 14 year old son by her. And we are very happy, in love and hope to get married in the not so distant future.

I think it's much more common for guy to go out with a younger girl then other way around.

Most 18 year old guys I know are sooo immature!!!

Also women's child bearing years are much shorter then for a man!! Look at Michael Douglas and Caterine Z J.
  • Options
    After reading this topic, I'm still a little confused...there are many people with huge age differences who are happy etc but would it be wrong for a 13year old to go out with a 19 year old...6yrs...if they get on really well??
  • Options
    I'm 5 months older than mine. Oldest I've been with was a year older than me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I think it's much more common for guy to go out with a younger girl then other way around.

Most 18 year old guys I know are sooo immature!!!

Also women's child bearing years are much shorter then for a man!! Look at Michael Douglas and Caterine Z J.

older guys just know the tricks better ;) thats all, oh and more money and experience

remember, little girls grow into women, little boys have a job for life :p