Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Solutions without medication

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any experience of visiting their GP with symptoms of depression and not being treated with medication? I am loathe to begin taking medication but can't see what else, other than counselling referral, can be offered.

The way counselling works in my area is you are referred, get a quick appointment for assessment, so the counsellor can see how urgent a case you are, and then you're given an appointment.

Comments

• Options
    Thats the same way that counselling works in my PCT, I'm fairly sure thats the standard practice.

You have an assessment interview, a group of social workers discuss it and then your put forward (or not) for further care.

I wasnt considered 'at risk' because I'm only an insomniac.
  • Options
    i was given herbal stuff, but thats just because the docs hate giving out drugs here if they can help it.
  • Options
    I was treated with otehr things otehr than medication, but as a general rule GPs will give out medication as a first resort, to see if it helps.

As for counselling/therapy, that's what happens everywhere. It's graded according to need- I was bumped up the queue because I was in great need, but if I was going for it now I probably wouldn't.
  • Options
    The GP's really have no choice though do they. There just plain isnt the social workers to deal with the people.

Of course it would be great if all the people going into the GP for depression could get really good CBT or other treatment, but its just impossible.
  • Options
    I just want to point out that I wasn't complaining about the length of time I'd have to wait for counselling, just wondering if there was something anyone had been offered in the interim.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    There's an organisation called Youth Access who can put you in touch with the appropriate services in your area you might want to give them a call on 020 8772 9900 to find out if there is any more immediate help you can get.

Hope you're OK,
    CB