Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

twitching after ectasy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sometimes the night after i've been taking ectasy i twitch as i fall asleep. this sometimes happens with a fair kick!
it pisses my girlfriend off but i noticed her do it the other weekend and she only does phet. i never use to do this i dont think... any ideas? or does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    It's hasn't happened to me before like you describe but i've had a friend who fell asleep while he was coming down before and he started pulling faces and twitching while he was sleeping.:eek2:
  • Options
    My boyf does it when he is awake, when we get in bed and are lying there and he does it in his sleep. It used to only happen when he had drugs, now it's all the time when we're in bed. He rocks back and forth constantly and slowly, it's quite comforting! Then he'll change position and speed, then it gets annoying! lol anyway back to the point he calls it ILS or Irritable Leg Syndrome! Or party legs, so i've heard it called. He hasn't kicked out at me and i'd kick him back if he did :p
  • Options
    i had this.

scary but it does go, at least in my experience:)
  • Options
    It could well be to do with levels of dopamine in the brain. Though this wouldnt really explain why it only happens with MDMA and not with amphetamine.

The dopamine system helps regulate movement, as can be seen when it goes wrong in parkinsons.
  • Options
    I get this really bad, along with sleep paralysis. Certainly never used to get either before I started to use MDMA heavily.
  • Options
    I always twitch in my sleep for about 2 nights after pills
  • Options
    I seem to be constantly twitching day and night. Normally it's only small twitches but I do sometimes kick out or jerk my arm with no control over it. I'm never too bad right after doing pills, always seems to start getting worse a day after I've come down.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Again, this is one of those things about taking drugs - there is a lot of anecdotal evidence - look at how manyof you this happens to! - but very little research or understanding of why this happens. If you want to read more, there is a lot of information on Erowid aboutMDMA neurotoxicity -
    The issue of MDMA's neurotoxicity is very complex, including debate about what constitutes 'neurotoxicity', but almost all experts now agree that MDMA is a neurotoxin. The question of what that means to users is still open, however.
    Muscle spasming could also be caused by a build up of lactic acid in the muscles, (which happens when you exert yourself), which your body has trouble processing efficiently due to your internal waste disposal system being otherwise occupied with MDMA, alcohol and whatever else you ingested. Probably along with not taking enough water.
  • Options
    Iv noticed recently that after having a big weekend i keep hearing things in my head. When im lying down i Usually hear like a radio scanning through the airwaves but not been able to find a station and it feels really wierd. Dunno what it is but cant be too good. gonna try and cut down now :)
  • Options
    A lot of that will actually just be the ringing in your ears after the loud music.
  • Options
    I went out on both friday and saterday this eekend and its been quite intense. il be lying down with my eyes closed and i get this kind of rushing noise and if i try and ignore it it gets really bad after a second and i feel like im about to blackout and have to open my eyes and get up try and shake it off kinda thing
  • Options
    :chin: Think a pattern's forming here... I regularly hear voices or weird hissing noises that sound like they're in the next room.

Think I've mentioned it here before, but about 6 of my mates, all been doing pills for the same amount of time, experience sleep paralysis regularly, me included. For me this is the most unpleasant side effect. Anyone else get this? It's like being awake in bed but unable to move, can be terrifying. Sometimes you can hear stuff or even see people walking around in your bedroom and you can't move, all you can do is wait for it to end. Sometimes it can last half an hour.
  • Options
    Sandbox, it happens when you don't take drugs as well, but I would strongly suggest that if you are getting sleep paralysis, or night terrors, for that amount of time, you should let your GP know. That could be dangerous.

matti_2003, blood pressure changes could cause the rushing sound in your ears, but that is just a guess.
  • Options
    it could be blood pressure because iv noticed that when im lying and its really quiet and im lying in a certain position i hear a quiet sound every time my heart beats but its not as loud as what iv been hearing recently. Must be summat to do with the pills though cos i only get this after a big weekend. Think a few week off may be required
  • Options
    I know a few people who don't use drugs and suffer from it, but I had never had the problem until I started to take pills.
    I've heard there's not much that can be done about it, apparently it has to be very severe for doctors to perscribe anything. Over the counter sleeping tablets do very little for me.
    Will discuss it with my GP when I eventually go there, haven't been in years and got quite a long list of things I want to get checked.
  • Options
    Originally posted by matti_2003
    Think a few week off may be required

I did plan on doing that as I was very concerned a month or two ago. I screwed up on giving up and now, although I know how bad it is, I have returned to my old patterns of use.
  • Options
    I think that is wise Matti_2003, and I am sorry to hear that Sandbox.....
  • Options
    so im not alone in this then! ive cut down compared to what i use to be like on the lil'fellas. a while a go i was gettin really vivid dreams and it felt like my body was being flung around in circles! sometimes realised i was asleep but found it hard to wake myself out the dream, scary shit! didnt want to go to sleep after that. one of my mates felt llike he was being physically pinned down in his sleep. it hasnt happened for a while (thankfully!) maybiz was a certain type of pill?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    It's hasn't happened to me before like you describe but i've had a friend who fell asleep while he was coming down before and he started pulling faces and twitching while he was sleeping.:eek2:

you taking about me that night of the party?
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    you taking about me that night of the party?

No, i was talking about someone different but yea too, but you were on base.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hocuspocus
    one of my mates felt llike he was being physically pinned down in his sleep. it hasnt happened for a while (thankfully!) maybiz was a certain type of pill?!
    I doubt it is down to a particular type of pill, but again it is impossible to know because there is no research on what causes it.

That sounds like the sleep paralysis we were talking about before.... I have posted some info below on what it is and what causes it, from this page
    Sleep Paralysis
    Sleep paralysis can occur either when falling asleep or when waking. It is sometimes associated with narcolepsy, however many people experience sleep paralysis without being narcoleptic.
    Sleep paralysis is characterised by being totally aware and apparently wide awake but literally unable to move a muscle. The experience can be extremely frightening however it is not dangerous and usually wears off shortly. It can be helped to pass by staying calm and slowly willing small movements such as fingers and toes then slowly increasing them until full wakefulness returns.....

What Causes Sleep Paralysis?
    During ordinary REM sleep, the body is unlinked from the brain and effectively paralysed. It is theorised that this is to prevent the body thrashing about and harming itself trying to "act out" dreams.
    Sleep paralysis appears to occur either at the beginning or end of REM sleep when the brain and body get "out of synch". The body is paralysed for dreaming but the brain is awake.

Various factors seem involved in triggering an attack of sleep paralysis. The main ones seem to be disturbance to the normal sleep routine and stress.
  • Options
    Dont talk like that, its very annoying.
  • Options
    Who, me? :confused:
  • Options
    There was a post there, but now its gone.
  • Options
    Sorry thowt we were talking bout pills

www.freewebs.com/binksnbozza
  • Options
    We were, I was just informing you that using 'txt speak' and leaving out any grammar makes it very annoying.
  • Options
    And I deleted the post because the link you had at the end of it crashed my PC, but it seems ok now. My apologies. But please have a read of the Good Manners Guide, in particular the end part on txtspk. Cheers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SandboxMagician

Think I've mentioned it here before, but about 6 of my mates, all been doing pills for the same amount of time, experience sleep paralysis regularly, me included. For me this is the most unpleasant side effect. Anyone else get this? It's like being awake in bed but unable to move, can be terrifying. Sometimes you can hear stuff or even see people walking around in your bedroom and you can't move, all you can do is wait for it to end. Sometimes it can last half an hour.

i have it too, i actually made a thread about it a while back, it's terrible isn't it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by matti_2003
    Iv noticed recently that after having a big weekend i keep hearing things in my head. When im lying down i Usually hear like a radio scanning through the airwaves but not been able to find a station and it feels really wierd. Dunno what it is but cant be too good. gonna try and cut down now :)

one night after i did it i could hear all my mates saying the same phrase over and over in my head but i couldnt work out what any of them were saying. it waslike one of theose crappy scenes you make up in drama about peer preasure. it was pretty freaky but i then i told myself to stop going insane and it stopped.
    i think ecstacy is partial psychosamatic like you can actually control your thoughts and how you feel. i dunno though.
  • Options
    Thats sort of the problem isnt it though. People have bad or good effect on 'pills' and you can never really know what they have taken.

The more hallucinogenic effects you describe are more like MDA or even ketamine, but without testing its impossible to say.