Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Different universities

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Manchester definitely. I can really see you in Manchester :yes:

I agree. Manchester has a really good campus and facilities, and its good for shopping, eating, drinking etc etc.

This is coming from someone who hates Manchester too. Shame you didn't choose Leeds though. :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Woo, Manchester. :hyper:

I dunno about any of the other 'maybe's, but I've been to Manchester uni twice now and I reeeeally like it. The facilities and such are good, it has a good reputation, the atmosphere is good, it's a good city for shopping, nightlife etc, good transport, blah blah. Alllllll good.

And it's northern. :yes:
  • Options
    By the way - what's so terrible about Newcastle? :p

Nothing. Don't know much about it. And never really heard anything about the uni :(

Btw, is it wise to apply for two different courses at the same uni, if they're very similar? For instance Politics or Politics and International Studies?

And if we say I have chosen Manchester as well now, then which two unis would be good to have for the last two slots (Sheffield, UEA, Exeter, Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds, Southhampton)?

It annoys me that I can't visit the places :mad:
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Btw, is it wise to apply for two different courses at the same uni, if they're very similar? For instance Politics or Politics and International Studies?

I applied for sociology and economics and plain sociology at Durham. I didn't get accept for the former but did for the latter, so if you really like the look of a particular university there is the chance you may get accepted on one or the other!
  • Options
    I would personally say Newcastle and Newcastle :p

But I could see you being happy in Leeds, and possibly Exeter.

How can someone not be happy with me around. :thumb:
  • Options
    Nothing. Don't know much about it. And never really heard anything about the uni :(

And if we say I have chosen Manchester as well now, then which two unis would be good to have for the last two slots (Sheffield, UEA, Exeter, Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds, Southhampton)?

It annoys me that I can't visit the places :mad:

Why can't you visit? It might be worth a quick visit to make sure you don't get stuck somewhere you hate for three years. I always imagined I would like Amsterdam but hated it after going there.

I applied for both History and Economic and Social History at Bristol as I was undecided but didn't want to risk losing out on a place on either while I took time to make up my mind.
  • Options
    I would personally say Newcastle and Newcastle :p

But I could see you being happy in Leeds, and possibly Exeter.

GWST - Jacqs likes shopping. Jacqs will not like Exeter. ;)

Jacqs - obviously I am completely and unashamedly biased but Bristol has an easyjet route to Copenhagen. For getting around, 2 1/2 hrs from London (megabus.com do regular coaches for between 1-7 pounds), 40 mins from Cardiff and good motorway links to the Midlands/North.

However out of the four people I know who went to Leeds, three loved the city and uni. If you do chose to go there, avoid living in the Hyde Park area, I do hear the locals do their shopping for electrical items from student houses. Oh and there not exactly the most friendly people on earth, IMO.
  • Options
  • Options
    BCUC

Does anyone go to Buckinghamshire chilterns university college? If so, God help ya! this has GOT to be the worst uni in the world!!!:mad:
  • Options
    Southhampton

Its spelled 'Southampton' dear :D

And yeah i've lived my entire life in that city, ok if you want a not-to-big-ish city center and a massive, sprawling mass of reidential estate:D

I'm up at Birmingham (just started), who claim to have (one of the) best social sciences deparments in the country, so you might consider that as well! The campus is fantastic!:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Why can't you visit? It might be worth a quick visit to make sure you don't get stuck somewhere you hate for three years. I always imagined I would like Amsterdam but hated it after going there.

I applied for both History and Economic and Social History at Bristol as I was undecided but didn't want to risk losing out on a place on either while I took time to make up my mind.

Did you get accepted to both courses?

Either way, I'd really like to visit. But currently don't have the time, and no travelling partner :(
    Also being that I will be a student I have figured that everyone will be in the same boat as me at university. But it is always good to get a city to have something to offer as well, so I have an alternative to the Student Union on the weekends or whatever.
  • Options
    Yes I got accepted for both, they were OK with that as I was honest and explained that I was still deciding. They helped me in deciding between them at the interview by pointing out the benefits of each one. I even explained that I wasn't going to apply to their Uni originally and they were pleased that I had been honest rather than being negative about it.

The point you make about wanting an alternative to student life is why i would recommend that you go for a Uni in a large city as some places may have great courses but little to offer outside campus. Its definitely worth looking on the BBC or other sites for a guide to what the city has to offer. Manchester, Bristol, Leeds and London etc gives you the options to get away from the student 'ghetto', that smaller places like Exeter cannot. Exeter is a nice city but small, I have spent the weekend there before and liked it but would not live there for three years.

Your right about all students being in the same situation, my course has 130 students in the first year but through the halls, societies and clubs great opportunities to make friends very quickly. I would think this is common to most Uni's.
  • Options
    If you do chose to go there, avoid living in the Hyde Park area, I do hear the locals do their shopping for electrical items from student houses. Oh and there not exactly the most friendly people on earth, IMO.

:lol:

i lived in Hyde Park for a year and we had bars on our windows. joy. never got burgled though, although my car was broken into a few times. you just have to be sensible. Although if you don't mind the pretentious student type, Headingley is a better choice to live.

the people are friendly round Hyde Park and Headingley, cause 90% of them are students. i find leeds less friendly than smaller northern cities and towns, but still a whole lot more friendly that the south. but maybe all the southerners hate me cause i'm northern :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i find leeds less friendly than smaller northern cities and towns, but still a whole lot more friendly that the south. but maybe all the southerners hate me cause i'm northern :chin:

See I've lived all over and I have a theory about this.... that people in the north are more demonstrative than in the south, so when northerners think southerners are being cold and unfriendly, southerners actually think they're going OTT and really rolling out the red carpet. In somewhat the same way that an English person in the U.S.A. leaves the equivalent of 50p as a tip and thinks they're being extravagantly generous. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

the people are friendly round Hyde Park and Headingley, cause 90% of them are students. i find leeds less friendly than smaller northern cities and towns, but still a whole lot more friendly that the south. but maybe all the southerners hate me cause i'm northern :chin:

We're talking about the same thing here, I was referring to the locals not the students in general. I also found them less friendly there than other northern cities I've been to.
  • Options
    We're talking about the same thing here, I was referring to the locals not the students in general. I also found them less friendly there than other northern cities I've been to.

Oh well, yeah – the locals in Hyde Park just generally hate everyone. And I don’t blame them, living in that hovel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    See I've lived all over and I have a theory about this.... that people in the north are more demonstrative than in the south, so when northerners think southerners are being cold and unfriendly, southerners actually think they're going OTT and really rolling out the red carpet. In somewhat the same way that an English person in the U.S.A. leaves the equivalent of 50p as a tip and thinks they're being extravagantly generous. ;)

fnar. i meant to comment on this, but got distracted. i know what you mean.

it's like if i go down south and try to randomly chat to a shop person/taxi driver/person next to me on the bus. up here they'd chat back. when i've been down south they look at me as if they think that either i'm coming on to them, or i'm some kind of deranged mental patient.

i think different areas of the country have different ideas of what 'friendly' is. like in wakefield, it's not robbing someone.
  • Options
    I chat to people randomly sometimes, and I live down south!!!
    Some people chat back, some run away.
  • Options
    Either way, how good of a name does the Royal Holloway have?

Well, I wouldn't recommend Nottingham for Politics or IR. It's not bad, it's just not...good. But I guess if you made the most of it, you could feasibly enjoy it.

Dittoy Royal Holloway - aside from being right next door to me, it's also pretty average. Top 20 uni, I think, so nothing to be ashamed of, it's just not a Top 10 uni, which you're more than capable of getting into.
  • Options
    So... I am down to five unis now: LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol.

Help regarding the last uni? Please :(
  • Options
    What are you studying?

How about Newcastle?
  • Options
    So... I am down to five unis now: LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol.

Help regarding the last uni? Please :(

You know you want to come to uni with me ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    Durham.

As said before so many times, it's a top three uni.
  • Options
    Neither of them sound appealing. Sorry :(
  • Options
    probably way too late to help but i'm in my second year at nottingham studying politics. whilst i agree that the uni isn't *known* for politics you have to compare it to those that are ie keele, aber and essex, all of which are very appealing ;)

as people have said nottingham is an awesome city and it def was voted best place outside of london for shopping and does have a very good selection considering its size, can't think of anything it lacks to be honest

the nottingham course is much more global orientated than somewhere like sheffield which focuses on the much more dull british politics.

if i had to chose somewhere other than nottingham out of your choices i would def go for manchester as i found sheffield ugly and bristol full of ****s hehe(and yes i got offers from both).
  • Options
    Not too late!
    I have dragged this on for too long.

Thing is I found out last night that Sussex does an International Relations course.

So, do I choose Politics and International Relations, or just International Relations?
    And which 3 out of these 4 unis do I choose? Manchester, Bristol, Sheffield or Sussex?

Many thanks!
  • Options
  • Options
    What do you mean about it being tedious?

Ooh, and why Bristol (and Manchester) above all? I was mostly thinking of removing that as they only have strict politics, which the others don't.

Any other input = VERY welcome.