Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Broadening upper part of body. Any Ideas?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm fed up of my upper body being scrawny.

Any ideas on what I can do to broaden me out & make me look more butch & manly?

.:Crispy:.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Broadening upper part of body. Any Ideas?
    Originally posted by Crispy
    I'm fed up of my upper body being scrawny.

Any ideas on what I can do to broaden me out & make me look more butch & manly?

.:Crispy:.

get into the weights room! :D
  • Options
    Press-ups will do some arm and chest, but aside from that there isn't much you can do apart from weights.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Press-ups will do some arm and chest

Can I do girlie press-ups where you kneel instead of doing normal style ones?

The reason I ask is cause I can barely do 2 doing normal style press-ups:blush:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Can I do girlie press-ups where you kneel instead of doing normal style ones?

The reason I ask is cause I can barely do 2 doing normal style press-ups:blush:

:rolleyes: Yea but only for a while. The trainin principle - progression you have to use. So do like 100 girly ones.

for a few weeks then try and do 5 man press ups for a week then try 8 the next week then 10 the week after.

Also try and just buy some 5-10 kg dumbells, and look on the internet for exercises you can do with them.
  • Options
    Cool i'll give it a go:)
  • Options
    Men's Health magazine normally have good tips, I don't know if theres a feale equivalent.
    Before you start on weights you might want to try and stretch the upper body muscles with swimming (crawl and breaststroke).
  • Options
    You dont want to just do pressups that wont get you anywhere,
    You need to work your back as well as chest or yould be hunched over, get down the gym do 1 hour 3 times a week minimum and do different body parts, push your self.
    If your using weights at home get a good set, and some chest expanders.
    Muscels come in pairs, ie triceps , biceps you need to do both, doing a few pressups a week wont realy get you anywhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    You dont want to just do pressups that wont get you anywhere,
    You need to work your back as well as chest or yould be hunched over, get down the gym do 1 hour 3 times a week minimum and do different body parts, push your self.
    If your using weights at home get a good set, and some chest expanders.
    Muscels come in pairs, ie triceps , biceps you need to do both, doing a few pressups a week wont realy get you anywhere.

Wtf do you mean, muscles come in pairs?
  • Options
    of course they come in pairs.
  • Options
    Iknowyourmum do know whar is good to do at the gym for your back?
    I've built up my chest but I know I should strengthen my back as well (had some back problems not so long ago)
  • Options
    Back is probably the area where youve got to take most care, be sure to be warmed up and dont over do it,

Dead lift is the traditional back and shoulder exercise I dont do it much, try it but make sure you get someone to show you this one though.
    The rowing machine type exersises are for back as well, that is sitting up and pulling in,
    Touching toes and straightining is back exersise as well, take care with the back,
  • Options
    What muscles do press ups work on then?
  • Options
    What do you mean pairs?

The arm is made up of bicep, tricep,delts etc

Are you trying to say the tricep is like the biceps partner or what?
  • Options
    Pressups will primarily do chest, but there is a bit of triceps and shoulders there as well,

And Muscels do come in pairs yes the tricep and the bicep you couldsay are "partners" Muscels only pull one way, so you need your bicep to bend your arm tricep toi straighten, this is true on the back where you have pairs of muscels either side of the spine, and also more broadly you could say the stomach is paired with the back, cause if you just exercise your stomach and not back you could be hunched over, so you need to consider this aproach when working out,
  • Options
    lmao :rolleyes:

So do you think it's good to work tri's and bi's together or what ??
  • Options
    Im not sure I dont think its the most important thing, the point im making is not to neglect one at the expense of the other.

Iv heard that its better to do tris and bi's on different days, but I don think its big deal
  • Options
    Different days is definately best :)
  • Options
    The rowing machine will sort out your upper body.
    Yah.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RNT
    It's ok to do tri's/bi's together if you really want to but I'd do them on different days if possible.

:yes: