Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

hair straighteners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello just looking to buy some new straighteners off ebay, have noticed several Toni & Guy straighteners on the cheap, so does that mean they are pants? I have thick hair so need some good 'uns! Dont wanna spend more than £30 since its ebay(incl p&p where poss) so can you recommend any? Or is it wise to just stay with the big names, GHD, KODO etc? Have also seen 'SCP' which seem like they could be BETTER than GHD, what ya reckon?

-Di-

Comments

• Options
    You can brand new Nicky Clarke ones for £49, and they are apparently very very good. T'missus swears by 'em.
  • Options
    Remington Ceramic...my mate has them and they're as good as GHDs

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=106389&Trail=C
    Get theeself to Argos!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=106389&Trail=C
    Get theeself to Argos!!

i have them! my hair is really thick and i think they personally work better than ghd's :)
  • Options
    funny enough i had those ones before the pair I have at the mo(which are actually borrowed off a friend coz i broke the remington ones!) they served me well but unsure if different straighteners could be even better?!
  • Options
    Ive got Kodo ones, and theyre fab.
    I got them recently off ebay for £24. I really recommend them, Ive tried a few different makes and these are really good.
  • Options
    GHD. :D

It depends on your hair, what one person may find fantastic, another may find not so fantastic.
  • Options
    Fudge hair straighteners - 200 degrees in under 2 minutes.
  • Options
    GHD's are 300 degrees aren't they?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    GHD's are 300 degrees aren't they?
    no. That would melt your hair.
    GHDs are 200 degrees.
    Theres a lot of competition now in the hair straighteners department. GHDs used to be the hottest ones, but now theres quite a few that go that hot.
  • Options
    T3 are the new ones to have. They've produced a range of heating irons. They're made from Tourmaline which puts moisture back into your hair, making it far more healither than using Ceramic irons such as GHD's which dry your hair out. They're around £115 though, so thats obviously noo good for you. I reckon your best bet is to get some GHD's or Kodo's. Some cheaper hair straighteners are great to begin with, but after while, they lose they're greatness. I've got Kodo's and they're fab.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx

Get theeself to Argos!!

i got those a year ago and they still work excellent.

why people pay over £50 for straighteners i have never understood, especially when these work just as well!
  • Options
    I've got Remington Ceramic Slimline ones, with Teflon-coated plates to stop residues from shampoo sticking.
    I've heard of glass plates now, instead of ceramic - does anyone have these?
    I don't really like Toni+Guy or Vidal Sassoon- they seem a bit gimmicky, as if you're merely paying for a name.
  • Options
    Deft GHD, especially for think hair.
  • Options
    I've found GHD's to be the best for my hair. I have really thin hair but loads and loads of it, and GHD's work well on my hair.
  • Options
    Kodo's. I got them for my birthday and they are better imo, than my mates GHD's :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bunnykins
    Has anyone tried the T3 straighteners out? They seem to get good reviews and lots of people say they are better than GHDs. My second pair of GHDs are about to blow up on me and the T3 straighteners come with a 2 year warranty which is appealing.
    Yeh, I have. A couple of people I used to work with (Hairdressers) said they don't leave the ends as smooth as GHD's, but I found them absolutely fine. The curling iron they have is billiant too, it's so easy to use! It's a curved plate that you literally just run down your hair and it creates perfect curls!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bunnykins
    Has anyone tried the T3 straighteners out? They seem to get good reviews and lots of people say they are better than GHDs. My second pair of GHDs are about to blow up on me and the T3 straighteners come with a 2 year warranty which is appealing.

can i just ask how long have you had the pair that are about to blow up?