Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

When You First Started Working Out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What changes did you notice?

I've been going to the gym for maybe 6 to 7 weeks now and noticing small changes, when I first started the skiingmachine 10 minutes and I'd be bored to death and tired, now I can do 60 minutes and still have loads of energy left.

My biceps look pretty much the same I think until I flex them then they are definetly bigger and harder then before.

My chest is also getting bigger and waist slowly smaller.

I can also run faster then before and also without getting out of breath as quickly as before.

I'm going to the gym almost every day .. quite weird how it can quickly becoe a regular part of daily life!!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hope you're not lifting weights every day? People often underestimate the importance of recovery time. You shouldn't do serious lifting on consecutive days really, otherwise instead of building the muscle you're actually breaking it down and not giving it a chance to recover.

What sort of things are you foing, free weights, resistance?

When I first started going about a year ago, I use to use a 15kg barbell for bicep curls, I use a 35kg bar now. I bench about 45kg compared to struggling with 20 at first. Ot'll take time to see big results, but keep chipping away at it.Also you didn't mention your triceps, I presume you work them too, and if not you need to. Aesthetically it's actually triceps which can make you look much bigger than having big biceps, it's having good triceps that will fill your shirt sleeves. If you're going loads I suggest Gainomax recovery drinks or something to help your muscles recover after working out.
  • Options
    Iv been going for about a month now. and i go 3 maybe 4 times a week. My fitness has improved due to rowing machine and treadmill. My biceps have got huge. MY male tits arnt so flabby. But my belly looks fatter because my abs got bigger but im not eating less.

I also have a v neck.lol.

But iv gone up in weight on most resistive machines maybe 2 bars. So im getting stronger and my muscular endurance is improving.
  • Options
    I'm mainly doing machines right now, I have dumb bells at home.

I'm not pushing myself at the moment cos I've got the flu or cold or something.

Right now my goal is to get my body used to working out on a regular basis, improve stamina, etc

Know what you mean about the triceps, went to this new nightclub last week and the bouncer's arms are all massive with tiny waists, quite strange looking in a way cos of the extremes they've taken it to.
  • Options
    I find the change seem to come in stages, and your in the first stage now, be warned at first you make much quicker gains than you doi later.
    Im sure that if your going 3-4 times a week your doing different body parts each time right, thats a must.

Godders I doubt your biceps are huge, also be ware of having big arms but not so big shoulders, your will look stupid, Shoulders are the hardest to exersise takes me most time.

I started off curling about 25 kg now Im on 40 free and 55 on the machine, I started benching 40kg now Im on 70 or just about 80,

Museman, youve been going a while you should be stronger have you been skipping workouts, or dont you push your self enough, maybe your a smaller guy.

Remember all sets you do apart from warm up should be done to failure, you realy need to push that to get gains, I have a little rule that I hardly stick to its
    "when you start to think that you cant do another repitition do another 3", cheet repls if necessary, Id noprmally manage another 2.

You all know if you had some huge Sergeant Major type standing over you shoultuing orders/encouragment each time you went to the gym youd do that extra 3 reps, and gain much quicker.
  • Options
    With me it never has effect for long as I am forced to take a break every so often because of problems in my knee.
    Though it was evident that how I after a session at the gym, was much better equipped in gym class the day after. When everyone else was craving for a break, I could go on.
  • Options
    I've been working out for years now, but what I've recently discovered is that I was hardly ever pushing myself to failure. So, it's taken me a while to get to that point where I do lift enough to actually work the muscles.

when you start to think that you cant do another repitition do another 3", cheet repls if necessary, Id noprmally manage another 2.

I wouldn't really recommend cheating on reps. You really need to have good form on all reps, and if you cheat, you normally tense up, lose form and run the risk of injuring yourself. You should normally push to failure within 8 - 12 reps, and when you can do 12 comfortably, raise the weight by 5lbs (2.3kg).
  • Options
    Actually theres a lot of disagreement with regards best training princibles with Mr universe's and Olympic weightlifting champions disagreeing and having their own and different workouts.
    The whole point of cheat reps is that you do your first in the proper form then you when you tire and cant do any more you do a few cheet reps this gives and extra workout to the muscels, and will also work out other ways. ie if your doing curls and do a couple of cheet reps your working out your shoulder a bit, I think the injury risks are minimal.

It would appear that each person would need to find their best way Im all for cheet reps, they seem to work for me.
  • Options
    Ic an't cheat rep. I read that basically you end up straining the muscle too much, and can run the risk of tearing it and being put out of action for ages. I think getting to failure within 8 -12 reps is fairly decent guidance for the majority of normal guys. I've read what the Mr Universe/Mr Olympia do for trainign, and it ain't normal... :/
  • Options
    When I first started-or when I go after a break, I am so unfit and the time kills me-then later I can do much more on the machines.

I never noticed but my gym pal mark told me my biceps are getting more defined-maybe as thats not what I care about so much (me its the belly!) so I don't notice-whereas mark is all about the biceps!

Another thing I noticed-is er well I'm less shy in the changing rooms! When I first went I was hiding! Now I just get in, get changed and don't care!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    Museman, youve been going a while you should be stronger have you been skipping workouts, or dont you push your self enough, maybe your a smaller guy.

Hmm, there's a lot of variables involved in that! I would say being able to use more than twice as much weight is pretty significant, and ask your average man on the street to curl a 35kg barbell (without cheating and moving his back) and they won't be able to do it. I see a lot of people in gyms sacrificing form just to be able to lift more weight and kid themselves they're stronger than they are. When I curl 35kg, my back is dead straight, but you see people throwing their backs around to assist with moving the weight. Form is the most important thing. Also obviously you are lifting a lot of weight, but again, ask most people to bench 45kg and they can't do it, and like I say I only did 20 or so when I started going. Maybe the fact you lift so much clouds your judgement a bit I guess. Also depends if you're looking for mass gain or if you're doing low weight/high rep stuff instead like some of the bodypump classes etc that they have.

I'm 6'1 and about 11.5 stone btw.
  • Options
    When I curl 40 my back is dead straight for the first 5 then I move a little, 35 is not that bad as Im only on 40,
    Your bench presses should be a little more I think,
  • Options
    When I started up again I used to do about 110lbs everyday on the bench press and peck mate. About the first 2 weeks I felt my chest and arms were more firmer, it wasn't, they just felt like it.

Then afterwards a Isotonic drink and a low fat chocie bar was good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Museman
    Hmm, there's a lot of variables involved in that! I would say being able to use more than twice as much weight is pretty significant, and ask your average man on the street to curl a 35kg barbell (without cheating and moving his back) and they won't be able to do it. I see a lot of people in gyms sacrificing form just to be able to lift more weight and kid themselves they're stronger than they are. When I curl 35kg, my back is dead straight, but you see people throwing their backs around to assist with moving the weight. Form is the most important thing. Also obviously you are lifting a lot of weight, but again, ask most people to bench 45kg and they can't do it, and like I say I only did 20 or so when I started going. Maybe the fact you lift so much clouds your judgement a bit I guess. Also depends if you're looking for mass gain or if you're doing low weight/high rep stuff instead like some of the bodypump classes etc that they have.

I'm 6'1 and about 11.5 stone btw.

Museman or anyone maybe you could give me some advice.
    I've had loads of stints at the gym and have been going regulary twice a week (swimming once) and I have dumbells at home.
    I want to beef up my arms but only seem to suceed in making them a bit more toned.
    I either use the bicep curl machine or use free weights, also use a machine for triceps or use free weights (behind the head method). I'm only using 10KG and say 6x 10/12 reps.
    If I use any more I can't do that many reps, is it better to really
    push yourself to the heavy weights and do less reps?
    My forearms are naturally quite thin but I've brought this powerball gyroscope thing.
    Do you have to drink energy drinks/supplements to build muscle?
    I've lost a few pounds and don't really want to put a load of
    weight back on.
    I'm 5,11 12st 1lbs.
  • Options
    Fuck me, some of the advice I've just read above is complete and utter shit.

Sorry guys, don't mean to offend anyone but lets be honest, it's crap.

Firstly, don't bother training to failure. If you are still a beginner especially. Training to failure has some good science behind it but isn't essential and is controversial, as with most training methods!

If you insist on training to failure, please make sure you understand DO NOT do it every set you train!!!

Secondly, cheat reps aren't really worth it are they, if you aren't training with proper form, you are asking for injury.

Can I also say that training isn't the only thing to be consious of, it's DIET. If you are not eating properly and enough food you will NOT grow decent sized muscles simple as that.

OK I don't want to ramble so onto my next point.

If you want big arms, you have to have big everything, unless you want to look like a dick.

I'm making these figures up, but for example, if you wanted to add an inch to your biceps, you couldn't just add 2lbs of muscle to your arms, you'd need to add about 12 lbs all over your body, get me?

Best type of exercises for putting on size to arms, shoulders etc are the compound movements (if you're using free weights) - i.e. bent over barbell rows, military press, chins, dips.

You should also work legs a LOT - they are the best anabolic exercise you can do, i.e. squats and deadlifts.

You should eat a lot of protein and complex carbs, I supplement with Instant Whey Protein when I can't get food in me.
  • Options
    What have you been studing "weighlifting for the old and infirm"

There is disagreement on cheat reps but I use them, there is not so much disagreement on failure, I said apart from warmup set, do repertitions to failure everything Iv looked at says repertitions to failure, I think this is general,
  • Options
    But it it's not "needed" to build heavy mass.

Everyone reacts to different things, failure alone wont help anything.
  • Options
    I had to run for the train last week from the place where I park, usually I'd be out of breath and getting stitches, this time I was fine and made my train!!!

Going to the gym is paying off!!!

I've also noticed I can run a lot faster too!!