Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age of consent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just reading that legal age for a male and female to engage in sex in some countries like Mexico, Chilie & Spain are as young as 12 up to 14!!

How is a 12 year-old old enough to have sex? How do they go about making these laws? Wh ywould anyone want to have sex with a 12 year old?

Comments

• Options
    perhaps kids in those places are just brought up differently?
    it seems young to me as well but whoever runs that country probably knows what theyre doing so just let them get on with it i guess. its just a pity that this can be exploited by sickos wanting a thrill
  • Options
    To be fair a twelve year old girl (or boy) may be sexually/physiologically developed enough or even have the understanding to consent. Personally I think 16 which is the age in the UK is fine.
  • Options
    Well some places like Pakistan and India, i swear the girls there can marry at 16, because of the fact that the parents want them to marry at such a young age, i know its not that different to over here and other places but i think 16 is a very young age to marry...

Or am i worng :confused:
    any know?
  • Options
    Just because the age of consent is 12 doesn't necessary mean that all the 12 year olds are having sex the minute they turn 12.

I'm almost 3 years on from the uk age of consent but that doesn't mean I had sex when I hit 16. Which I didn't.

<br><marquee align="center" loop="infinte"><font color="666666">.:</font><font color="ff6600">Crispy</font><font color="666666">:.</font></marquee><br></font>
  • Options
    :yes: In india etc they can/do get married at 16, well they could last time i checked.

I think its stupid 12, its a ridiculos age! 14, is bad also, but i know a few 14year olds who have had sex, so im not sure.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    :yes: In india etc they can/do get married at 16, well they could last time i checked.

Can get married here at 16 matey.
  • Options
    ...with parents consent.

Teo 16 year olds getting married, hmmm, that will last.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    ...with parents consent.

In England. No consent required for Scotland.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    In England. No consent required for Scotland.

Hence why people run away to Gretna Green to get married.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Just because the age of consent is 12 doesn't necessary mean that all the 12 year olds are having sex the minute they turn 12.

I'm almost 3 years on from the uk age of consent but that doesn't mean I had sex when I hit 16. Which I didn't.

The point is that at 12 your are still a child and not ready for a sexual relationship. I don't know any 12 year olds that are mature enough for sex.
  • Options
    This reminds me of another thread about ages of consent. Doesnt some country in europe have the age of consent set at 12 or 13 or something yet has the lowest teen pregnancy percentage in the world? Im not sure on the exact facts but it just shows that no matter what the age of consent is, the kids in these countries are doing it right at least.....and like Crispy said, just because the age is set so low doesnt mean they all are, in fact id be suprised if many at all were.

Peace
  • Options
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    This reminds me of another thread about ages of consent.

This One?
  • Options
    The age of consent in the Netherlands is 13 or 14, as far as I am aware. The average age of virginity lost is about 19, which is about 2-3 years later than in the UK, with its later age of consent.

All high ages of consent do is glamourise the act, and make it look more adult than it is.

On a random tangent, what makes me laugh is that one can shag a girl when one is 16, but can't watch someone else do her until you're 18. Que?
  • Options
    if the consent age is low surely it just removes the taboo. i don't know anyone over here who has become pregnant under 25. the birth rate over here is so low at the moment anyway. so many women are opting out of having families to be carrer women.

personaly, i think where the age is lower the teenage preg. rate is loads lower. i think people are seriously thinking about wheather or not they feel ready or not, rather than just jumping into bed at the first chance? but i may be wrong...
  • Options
    Oh, and it might be legal to shag some kid over in another countries but you can still be prosecuted when you come back to your own country.