Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Quiting

I'm on my second day with out ciggys and its doing my head in. I've got a nicotine inhaler thing but it tastes like minging fish. Still using it tho. I'm getting head aches and moodswings. Just wondering how long it'll be still I stop feeling so agitated. Tar.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you just need to stick through it, best thing really, youre gona get withdrawal symtoms so just think you can do without them

okay im a non smoker so it dont help, just get on with life otherwise
  • Options
    Most smokers I've know, who are trying to quit, find that once they get past the second week that it gets a bit easier. But a lot have failed quitting at about the 10- 14 day point. So it seems there's a two week barrier. Maybe it takes that long for the nicotine to work its way out of your system, and for you to learn not to reach for the ciggies at the usual times/opportunities?
  • Options
    awe! i feel your pain... try chewing on gum when you need to have something in your mouth..

when i tried to quit i would puke every time i ate and i got terrible headaches and moodswings too...

i quit quitting after two weeks haha... but yeah i do think it's okay after 3 weeks or so it gets easier...
  • Options
    Speaking as another who has quit quitting, my advice probably isn't the most valid :p I stopped for 3 months last year though, and I lapsed after that, so by no means is it a "two weeks abstinence and you're free" kind of thing. Of course, it's widely said that the first 3-4 weeks are the worst, and that's pretty obvious, but I imagine it's probably more of a case of months spent quitting before you're actually a non-smoker. Also, my mum who quit smoking over ten years ago says that she still feels like a ciggie sometimes, so it's definitely a case of mind over matter.

I do think you can help yourself though, with the patches and/or the gum. When I stopped I used the patches at first, but they gave me headaches (although that could have just been a withdrawl symptom!) so I just chewed the nicotine gum as well as always having regular chewing gum to hand. It's really important to keep hydrated, always have a bottle of water around if you can, get yourself some snack foods (healthier the better) for the fidgeting hands/empty gob syndrome. You'll be helping yourself by avoiding places like pubs and clubs as much as poss in the first couple of weeks, as well as other places where you get larger amounts of smokers (such as the "social smokers"). Not to say you can never go for a few pints or a mad night out again, but you'll be doing yourself a favour if you can find other things to keep you occupied.

That's the key, I reckon, to keep occupied...but make sure you're around understanding people. I was like a bear with a sore head, especially for the first days and weeks...you may find it helps to scream or pound something. Invest in a punch bag with your saved pennies? :lol: Oh yeah, that reminds me of another great incentive...if there's something you've wanted to buy, something you wanted to treat yourself or your fella to, then focus on that. As you know smoking is a very expensive habit, and the money you save soon adds up.

Basically for all this rambling, the things you need are will-power and focus. If you really want to do it, you can...after all you survived without a tab before you ever took it up, didn't you? It's just a case of breaking the habit. I wish you luck...if only I could take my own (rambling) advice :p
  • Options
    actually i read an article that said that after you've been smoking for 6 monthes ( i don't really remember why either.. something to do with chemicals and your brain...) or longer.. you will always need nicotine.. no matter what... so you can quit for 10 years and you'll still need it..
  • Options
    Someone I know kept an online journal whilst quitting smoking as a sort of distraction, I suppose. Worked for her.
  • Options
    Hiya,

I have sucessfully quit smoking and it'll be a a year in October, When i get ill i cant smoke, it hurts and tastes fowl (it might be the same for you) well i waited till i got ill again with a sore thoate or cold then i just carried on from there... it hurt to smoke and i realised that i was wasting precious fags as i couldnt taste it properly so i just stopped smoking them, i have had a few since i quit and when i got major depresed i started for 2 weeks but couldnt get myself into the habit again - which is a good ting.

so maybe just carry on till you get ill then try what i did, im not saying you have to but it is an idea that might work.
    oh and also if your thinking i made it sound easy it was for me i guess but i was smoking for a good 6 years, so its not like i wasnt addicted....

good luck thou x
  • Options
    Yay, good luck! Hope you can keep it up! :D
  • Options
    Well i quit after having 20-30 a day for years. I used nicorette lozenges as i knew being able to put something in my mouth when the craving got bad would help & they did tons.
    I have now been an ex smoker for 2 1/2 years & its on of the best things i did.
  • Options
    Well I have something to put in my mouth when i need a ciggy, I have a nifty lil nicotine inhaler. It tastes foul and makes the back of my throut go numb but it stops the cravings.
    I think Ive dont really well the last couple of days with out ciggys I even had my car crashed into and didnt go buy some. I feel proud:D

Still reaaaaaaally want one tho. I know I cant start smoking again my bf would get really mad at me. (He's the reason i'm quitting) I was smoking for 6 years and god I miss it. I liked smoking.:( I know its bad for me and I really should give it up but I know I'm gonna miss it.
  • Options
    Well you are doing well , especially seeing as it doenst sound like you really wanna give up.
  • Options
    Well done, girl - keep at it. It's hard, but soooooooooo worth it!
    This article might help you, too.
    :)
  • Options
    Is it normal to feel depressed when giving up?
  • Options
    yeh more withdrawal symtoms, how can such a legal drug be so bad

perhaps you should smoke other fings, your bf might like that :naughty:
  • Options
    What like sparking up his penis? He might like it.....I'll give it a go and see what he does.
  • Options
    So what other withdrawal symtoms should I expect?
  • Options
    nicotine = odd drug

basically feeling quite crap mentally id reckon

and then theres not the addiction as such, but the things like being used to sparking up when at pub or sumit

and you gota get used to saying 'no thanks' to fag offers
  • Options
    I just went two weeks without smoking, to see if i could, and i got depressed, but thats nothing strange. :(
  • Options
    I know how it is. I've been forced to quit twice, but I've just started up again. Keep on goin on.

The moodswings and crazings are probably the most annoying part of quitting cigarettes, so try and find things or people or places you can be around that will deter your withdrawl symptoms.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    I failed:(
  • Options
    You should go down to Border's and buy yourself a copy of the Allen Carr self-help book.

The tyrouble is that reaching for a ciggie becomes an insinctive reaction- cup of tea and a fag, a fag after a meal, and fag in the pub with friends...
  • Options
    Why don't you see if your GPs surgery has a smoking cessation clinic? You'll get all the patches etc on the NHS which is far cheaper than buying them over the counter (2 weeks supply for £6.40) and you have to attend the clinic which helps a lot of people because they're more scared of admitting they've failed to a health professional so they stick at it.

Just another idea if you're actually wanting to stop.