Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Another question-Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry am posting again, jsut have more than one problem atm. Thing is over the past 2weeks or so id say, my appetite has increased rapidly, i cant stop eating, and its really bugging me im always hungry and im scared im gona start putting on weight :( Does anyone know how to stop getting cravings to eat all the time? Or what to do? Any help would be soo much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    drink instead of eat. supposedly, people mistake thirst for hunger cravings.

also, work out what you're craving for and have that, in a small amount if it's unhealthy, rather than lots of everythng!
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    drink instead of eat. supposedly, people mistake thirst for hunger cravings.

also, work out what you're craving for and have that, in a small amount if it's unhealthy, rather than lots of everythng!

Is true, they do, so drink water instead of eating snacks.

You may have also developed an addiction to an aditive. Monosodium glutamate is in a lot of take away stuff and is very addictive, sugar, salt. So watch what you're eating not just the volume.

Your metabolism may also have sped up meaning you have to eat more to keep up with it, are you doing more excercie? Anyway, just for the record, my own metabolism sometimes speeds up and slows down, and so does my intake of food. Eating loads isn't a problem, it's the balance of what you eat and what excercise you're doing.
  • Options
    are you pregnant?
    my appetite was insatiable in the early stages of pregnancy?
    The other time i get really hungry is around the time of my period.
    If you make sure each actual meal you make is a decent size and properly fills you up, like a huge bowl of cereal in the morning, proper lunch, then a proper dinner in the evening. Make sure you eat enough to fill you up, then youre less likely to snack inbetween. Youll take in less calories like that than snacking all day.
  • Options
    are you actually hungry, or just boredom eating?

if you are actually hungry a lot more than usual, it's usually your body letting you know it's under a bit more pressure than usual, and needs more fuel - like in pregnancy, if you're under a lot of stress, or if you're a bit ill.

trouble is, a lot of people mistake thirst for hunger, and also mistake wanting to eat cause they're bored with needing to eat cause they're hungry.

what you can do is split your 3 meals a day into 5 or 6 smaller ones. that way there's less time between meals, so less time to get hungry. in between, nibble on fruit or veg, or a few nuts. or have a couple of glasses of water.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    are you actually hungry, or just boredom eating?

Actually hungry. Ive tried eating little bits inbetween meals just snacks but its not good, i have to eat loads like 2packets of crisp :eek2: stuff like that :( Im also drinking lots of water aswel anyway. Hmm. Its nothing to do with the pill cos ive been on that a while now, that was my origional thought but i dont think its that. Thanks for replying everyone.
  • Options
    Drink water as people say. I always find what's great to keep hunger away is to brush your teeth. Works for me and stay away from chewing gum. Don't know if it's just me, but that always makes me hungrier (Probably spelt that wrong) than usual.

And if you really want to get your teeth into something; eat some crackers. Or even steal a slice of ham or Turkey you get from shops and nibble on it. It's what I do when I get the munchies; and don't want to over indulge :)