Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How Do You Miss a Period?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I've been on Microgynon 30 for the past 3 months, but am going on holiday and am due on half way through.. how do I take my pill to make sure I don't have a period?

Do I not have a 7 day gap - taking 2 packets one after the other?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    Re: How Do You Miss a Period?
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Do I not have a 7 day gap - taking 2 packets one after the other?

exactly. start your second pack the day after you finish the first one :)
  • Options
    You only have a period if you stop taking the pills at the end of the pack. Just open pack two the day after the end of pack one, and keep going like that.

If you don't like having periods it is usually safe to run three packs together like this at a time. Apparently its good to only have four periods a year instead of 12.
  • Options
    Dont have your 7day break, just go straight onto the next pack :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Apparently its good to only have four periods a year instead of 12.

If you take agonising cramps well, then yes :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    If you take agonising cramps well, then yes :p

Quite a few friends run packs together, and they don't get cramps worse than on a normal period. The period isn't "stored up" inside you, so you don't bleed more. Or you shouldn't.

Horses for courses though.
  • Options
    Kermit, if a woman constantly messes around with her natural timing - like taking 3 packs in a row, the higher the chances of becoming infertile.
    I don't know what makes you think that having 4 periods a year is healthy! Women always have and always will have a MONTHLY menstral cycle - and that's how it's meant to stay. We're not meant to mess around with nature. But we do - which is why women become infertile when they take advantage of the Pill.

I will only run 2 packets when it's absolutely necessary. Hopefully, I'll only ever do this once.

Ilora x
  • Options
    actually it's not necessary to have periods. most periods on the pill aren't proper "periods", they're just bleeds.

the Man who invented the pill thought we women would go mad without a regular bleed, so invented them like they are.
  • Options
    Kermit, if a woman constantly messes around with her natural timing - like taking 3 packs in a row, the higher the chances of becoming infertile.
    I don't know what makes you think that having 4 periods a year is healthy! Women always have and always will have a MONTHLY menstral cycle - and that's how it's meant to stay. We're not meant to mess around with nature. But we do - which is why women become infertile when they take advantage of the Pill.

Yes, yes, of course.

It's "natural" to have one every month. And it'll kill you if you don't.

There must be a lot of infertile female GPs then...
  • Options
    Yes, yes, of course.

It's "natural" to have one every month. And it'll kill you if you don't.

There must be a lot of infertile female GPs then...
    Not now there isn't, but in 10 years there will be an infertility 'epidemic' because so many girls/women aren't using the pill for it's main purpose. :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Not now there isn't, but in 10 years there will be an infertility 'epidemic' because so many girls/women aren't using the pill for it's main purpose. :rolleyes:

Yes.

So say the Government who foot the bill for contraceptive pills.

Some doctors say its fine, some think it's not. The main argument is still one of "nature", and that's rubbish, really.
  • Options
    how long has the pill been around for? surely there are women around now who haven't had fertility problems after ten years on it.

other forms of contraception stop periods, it can't be that harmful!

remember the period on a pill isn't a "natural" period anyway, so according to what you're saying, even people who use the pill as it is supposed to be used are risking infertility.
  • Options
    Indeed.

A lot of the scaremongering is coming from the far-right Christian groups too, who are opposed to the contraceptive pill for religious reasons.

I know GWST has been advised that it is perfectly safe to run several packs together, and many female GPs do so too.
  • Options
    it is safe to run two packs together. I used to find that if I did too many packs together, I would get breakthrough bleeding mid-cycle though. I was also told it is uneccesary to have periods when on the pill, but I used to still have the gaps because then it meant I didnt have to go to the doctor to get my repeat prescription as often, and it would mean I could avoid the aforementioned breakthrough spotting.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    You really do talk utter crap.
    I'm sorry, did I ask for your opinion? No. So, shut up.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dangerous!? How the bloody hell is that dangerous!?
  • Options
    I often run my packs through, I have done for years. its a bummer when u forget to take one though as you spot!
  • Options
    I don't run packs together & only did once which didnt work. I have been on it for nearly 10 years & the first month i stopped taking it i fell pregnant so it doenst mess with peoples fertility, at least it didnt mine.
  • Options
  • Options
    Women always have and always will have a MONTHLY menstral cycle

That's not all together true, even up to the 19th Centuary infact women didn't necessarily bleed every month and sometimes indeed they would bleed only 4 times a year, but this is attributed to diet and other factors, the point is that why should bleeding ever month be deemed as naturally, i'm sure given the chance many women would choose to skip and the passing blood and gunk every month.

If it made you infertile though then why would GP's allow you to take mutiple packets, and thousands of people throughout the world do this everymonth.
    I was always led to believe that the pill protected your fertility by keeping yor bits inside healthy.
  • Options
    Chill out guys, there's no need to fly off the handle about this.

Taking pill packets back to back is fine, however, doctors would not advise that you do it regularly, and SOME women do find that their PMT symptoms are worse when their period returns. That doesn't mean it can't be done safely, but I would suggest discussing it with your GP before going ahead.
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I used to find that if I did too many packs together, I would get breakthrough bleeding mid-cycle though.

:yes:

my doctor told me bodies are better than we think at keeping themselves in good nick, and if they need to bleed, they will.

and the pill stops periods. the bleeding you have on your break is nothing more than a withdrawal bleed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :yes:

my doctor told me bodies are better than we think at keeping themselves in good nick, and if they need to bleed, they will.

and the pill stops periods. the bleeding you have on your break is nothing more than a withdrawal bleed.

that's the word I couldn't think of! "withdrawal". ta Kaff
  • Options
    Weren't people going to bring out a pill that would only let you have a couple of periods a year? And then it was stopped because of health concerns? I have a vague recollection of something like that - is it related to the health concerns people have said on this thread or was it something else?
  • Options
    Quite a few friends run packs together, and they don't get cramps worse than on a normal period. The period isn't "stored up" inside you, so you don't bleed more. Or you shouldn't.

Horses for courses though.

Well it effects me and other people i know if they run packs together.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Hence the 'horses for courses' comment I imagine :)

Scuze me, but i dont know what that means :(
  • Options
  • Options
    *gone*