Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

thinktank proposes new income tax and inheritance tax system

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3588612.stm

i cant find the other article to go with this, but theyre thinking of raising the threshold of the upper rate of tax to £100k from £34k and then making that rate 50% so anyone under 100k does better and anyone over 100k pays more

they also want to introduce 3 bands of inheritance tax, and keeping the threshold at £263k but starting at 22% progressive going up to 50% by £808k

what do you reckon?

personally i think the inheritance tax threshhold should be raised loads, as it was introduced to kill the upper classes of this country, not the average family

the income tax proposals sound alrite i think-ish

Comments

• Options
    so no-ones cares bout taxation then....
  • Options
    Inheritance tax should be scrapped altogether. Inheritance tax is wrong because anything you inherit has almost always had tax paid on it. Whether that’s VAT for goods inherited or stamp duty if it’s a house inherited.

Anyway inheritance tax won’t be scrapped, still even if it’s kept the thresholds should be as you say raised a lot as house prices have gone up so much.

Anyway the rich get out of paying inheritance tax if they plan in advance. I read for instance that Princess Margaret used expensive accountants so that her family avoided paying it. There’s all sorts of loopholes that expensive accountants can exploit so inheritance tax rarely hits the rich that hard.
  • Options
    its the most meritocratic of all taxes though

and it was put in to destroy the upper class of country which has all but done, but should be kept, but at a high threshold

and its not as if it really screws anyone over, leaving them really broke is it....

also encourages people to plan their death better!
  • Options
    You discuss these things so easily and cold bloodily…
    As if it is not about robbing live people but just a some kind of arithmetical exercise.
    As if it is not a discussion board for bright young Englishmen but a council of mafia planning how to make its racket more profitable.
    What democracy turns people into… *sigh…*
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Inherritance tax makes my skin crawl. You work hard all your life paying tax for this and that, then you leave some money to help your kids, or you leave them the family house or estate and they want to get their fingers into that too?
    Outrageous!

I agree.

A friend of mine's grandmother started giving her grandkids outragous amounts of money to birthdays (Who gets the equivalent of £2500 for a usual 15th birthday?) some years ago. Turns out that her health was getting weaker, and she wanted her kids and grandkids to enjoy what she had, rather than getting it taxed, once she died.
  • Options
    My grandfather did the same for us to avoid inheritance tax. He bought each of his grandchildren £2000 bonds. So instead of just just having 2 grand, we were earning from that 2 grand, about £500 a year from it in fact.
  • Options
    Inheritance tax is the equivalent of robbing a grave.

Someone saves up all their lives in order to give their children and their grandchildren a better start in life, and suddenly the government wades in and thinks it is entitled to 40% of it. It si disgraceful.

The rationale behind inheritance tax was to prevent the very very rich, the plutocrats, from hoarding money; the tax was designed to redistribute the money back into the economy, to keep the economy alive. If money gets concentrated in too few hands an economy will collapse.

It is disgraceful that now a three-bed semi in parts of the South East will trigger inheritance tax. These are people who ahve worked all their lives, and now the children won't even get the family home. My parents' three-bed semi in Bradford was 2/3 of the way to triggering inheritance tax, but when they bought it it was worth £16,500. Where's the justice in that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Inheritance tax is the equivalent of robbing a grave.

Someone saves up all their lives in order to give their children and their grandchildren a better start in life, and suddenly the government wades in and thinks it is entitled to 40% of it. It si disgraceful.

The rationale behind inheritance tax was to prevent the very very rich, the plutocrats, from hoarding money; the tax was designed to redistribute the money back into the economy, to keep the economy alive. If money gets concentrated in too few hands an economy will collapse.

It is disgraceful that now a three-bed semi in parts of the South East will trigger inheritance tax. These are people who ahve worked all their lives, and now the children won't even get the family home. My parents' three-bed semi in Bradford was 2/3 of the way to triggering inheritance tax, but when they bought it it was worth £16,500. Where's the justice in that?

i agree kerm, but thats why the threshhold should be raised to a million or something, stops rich people hoarding money :p
  • Options
    So, we're all agreed then. No inheritance tax.

What about the upper rate though, the other aspect of the suggestion.

I have a personal interest because I fit into that bracket. In my area that sort of salary won't go far towards buying a house and yet I am considered to be a "high earner".

Salaries have moved on a long way since that limit was originally set and I do think that it's time that it was reviewd, certainly I believe that the people suffering from it are those who earn a "Middle range" income.

I would also advocate changing the lower rates too...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    So, we're all agreed then. No inheritance tax./B]

not quite, keep it for the extremely rich......... (its original purpose)
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo

So they're better with their finance than the regular person. Shall they be punished for that?
  • Options

But, the ‘extremely rich’ can avoid it anyway. They can afford an army of accountants to exploit just about every loophole there is to avoid taxes. Offshore trust funds, secret anonymous offshore bank accounts, etc.

And if the ‘extremely rich’ have became rich fairly and legally I don’t see the need to punish them for it. Why punish somebody like say Richard Branson? He employs thousands of people in the UK, he will no doubt pay a lot in taxes in this country and he is helping the British economy…
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    So they're better with their finance than the regular person. Shall they be punished for that?

No, but if they are going to own half of Wales they should have to pay for it.

Inheritance tax was brought in to make the plutocrats stop hoarding money, that is what it's purpose should revert to.

There should be more tax brackets than upper and lower in income tax, the lowest rate should drop to 10% and then it should gradually increase in line with salary. If you are near the income tax boundary sometimes there is no incentive to work that extra shift or three, because you will lose most of that extyra earnings in tax.

It won't happen though- Blair, like all Labour Prime Ministers, just loves taxing people until the pips squeak.
  • Options
    though personally he lesser of 2 evils, lets jsut hope they lsoe their stupid majority so proper parliament cant take control, and lets hope david blunkett loses his by-election ;)
  • Options
    lets hope david blunkett loses his by-election ;)

I hope he gets HIV.
  • Options
    There should be more tax brackets than upper and lower in income tax, the lowest rate should drop to 10% and then it should gradually increase in line with salary.

The 10% rate band already exists dude, after you have had your personal allowance (£4745) the next £2020 is taxed at 10%:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    The 10% rate band already exists dude, after you have had your personal allowance (£4745) the next £2020 is taxed at 10%:p

Oh yes, of course. I forgot.

Well it should be extended then:p
  • Options
    Oh yes, of course. I forgot.

Well it should be extended then:p

Damn good plan I say!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    Damn good plan I say!

Indeed :razz:

Taxation is the only thing that leave me confused. Which is bad, but bollocks to that.
  • Options
    I've just been told, that (because Labour want to raise their 'share') if my father dies after he retires (before is financially ok, because of the job insurance and benefits) I will be left with a £125000, yes, look at all those zeros, One Hundred and Twenty Five Thousand pound tax bill, 50% of the taxable £250000 of the worth of our house. Because of inheritance tax and because of how much our house is worth due to market rises, before I'm 30 I am liable to be landed with a quarter million pound tax bill.

Vote out Labour, GET THEM OUT NOW!
  • Options
    And that is why inheritance tax is so unfair.

T'missus' family have built their own home, in dribs and drabs, over the last 20 years. They built it up from a muddy field on a fell in the northern Lakes, but because of the market now her family will not be able to keep it. It will have to be sold to pay the tax bill.

Things won't change because New Labour need to tax the poor to pay for the rich. I hope every single New Labour MP or party official gets HIV and dies an excruciatingly painful death. I have the champagne on ice for Blair's death already.
  • Options
    I have to say i definatly agree with the higher taxes for the rich. Inheritence tax hm I am not sure about....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I have to say i definatly agree with the higher taxes for the rich.

In theory yes.

Being more pragmatic, one has to be careful about uber-high levels of taxation on the highest incomes. Tax them too highly and they just move their money offshore- it was no coincidence that when Lawson lowered the highest band of tax to 40% the revenue from the top 1% of earners went up by something in the region of £40million.
  • Options
    In theory yes.

Being more pragmatic, one has to be careful about uber-high levels of taxation on the highest incomes. Tax them too highly and they just move their money offshore- it was no coincidence that when Lawson lowered the highest band of tax to 40% the revenue from the top 1% of earners went up by something in the region of £40million.

Surely there is something that can be done about that though? I can only think of extremes at the moment though...removal of citizenship for example? I'll come back when I've had a sane idea... It does make me sick though these uber rich dodging taxes.
  • Options
    It does make me sick though these uber rich dodging taxes.

They don't dodge tax, they just aren't going to be twatted just because they earn money.

In the late 1970s the highest rate of tax was running at 70%. Why should anyone have to give up nearly three-quarters of what they earn to pay for dole scroungers?
  • Options
    If the very rich paid only 10% in tax, you could bet your bottom dollar they would still employ an army of accountants and lawyers to exploit loopholes, go offshore and get away with paying as little as possible- while the rest of us pay our taxes religiously.

It is an undisputed fact in the immense majority of cases that the richer the person, the more greedy and selfish they become.

Take one look at the Rupert Murdoch empire. That man must have cheated the different countries where he has businesses of hundreds of millions of Pounds (at least) in taxes by his endless offshore schemes. He's probably deprived this very country of a high 8-figure sum in taxes over the years- money that could have been used to finance some of the new hospitals and to recruit some of the new doctors and nurses The S*n always moans about the lack of.
  • Options
    They don't dodge tax, they just aren't going to be twatted just because they earn money.

In the late 1970s the highest rate of tax was running at 70%. Why should anyone have to give up nearly three-quarters of what they earn to pay for dole scroungers?

You know it would not just dole money though, it would be used for public services and the like.
  • Options
    I think anyone who can afford to avoid paying tax will do so. It's regrettable, but I don't condemn them for it- I'd so the same, to tell the truth.

Tax is a necessary evil, but tax is theft.
  • Options
    I hate the sentiment in here of how it is a crime to have money.
    For all you know those people could be paying their taxes, just as everyone else does, and pay extreme amounts to charity (which a lot do).

Yes there is a problem with people placing money/firms/themselves overseas, but it's a sign that taxation is not ideal and doesn't pay off for the high end of the earners, so why should they bother?
  • Options
    You know it would not just dole money though, it would be used for public services and the like.

In the 1970s it was used by the Labour administration to give huge pay rises to their greedy Union militant comrades.

Nothing very much ever changes- it isn't used to improve things.

It isn't just dole money, but having been on the dole for three months now, I am even more firmly of the belief that anyone who can afford to run Sky TV off it is on the fiddle.