Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oops....*BANG*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
....because I could not think of a good title.

Basically, my brother left me a copy of I, Robot on DVD (complete with guy standing up halfway through). It crashed my computer the first time, but the second time it ran OK.

Then my dad took it and tried to play it on the DVD player. He got halfway through, and the DVD player started smoking, so he unplugged it and took it outside.

Is it because it's a pirate DVD that the DVD player blew up, or is it because it was a shit £50 DVD player? I want the DVD back, but my dad won't plug it back in because a) he thinks the house will burn down and b) the DVD will screw up the PC as well.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm. Difficult to tell really. It shouldn't smoke, but I doubt that it was the disc at fault.

You should be able to remove the disc without plugging the drive back in. It wall have a small (tiny) hole somewhere under the drive slot. Insert an unfolded paperclip and the drive bay should unlock allowing you to pull it open and remove the disc.

Then, if the disc is undamaged, you can safely assume it wasn't the cause.