Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

4 or 2?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you feel safer travelling in a plane with 2 engines or 4?

And give a reasonf for your answer, I have my own opinion but don't want to influence anyone

Comments

• Options
    Re: 4 or 2?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I have my own opinion but don't want to influence anyone

That's why I can't answer this quetion either.
  • Options
    I feel safe in any plane really, but since you asked the question, I think 4 because it gives me a sense that the plane is more powerful. That said, thats double the chance for an engine fire isn't it ;) (mind you, you can shut off the fuel lines and the fires go out themselves dont they)
  • Options
    I do not feel safe travelling in a plane full stop.
  • Options
    4 obviously...

it's highly unlikely that an engine will just stop working (or catch fire) they test these things to the absolute limit. that said, if one does go down i'd prefer to be in the plane that's just lost 25% of it's power than 50%.

i'm more scared of the hydraulics going, as i've already had that happen once on a flight from LA... about 45 minutes into the flight the pilot calmly announces that we've lost the main hydraulic system (the bits that move the important stuff on the plane's wings) and the emergency back up hydraulics (again, not good) and that the liquid pissing from the plane's wings was them just venting 99% of the fuel (in case of a crash we'd only burn a little bit rather than be engulfed in a massive fireball)

our plane managed to limp back to arizona with everyone on board crapping their pants.

eventually made it back after sitting 7 hours in the departure lounge, that said we were flown back first class by BA which i have to say is how i need to travel from now on, when they say first class they mean it, had my own 'attendant' in the first class lounge before the flight. :D
  • Options
    4, obviously.
  • Options
    4 engines but i dont really care, im not too worried about flying in a plane.
  • Options
    a plane with 4 engines has 4 engines for a reason...it needs 4 engines!

so it should make no difference as to whether a plane has 2 or 4 engines, as loosing any engines from a plane that needs 2, or 4 engines to fly is obvioulsy a very bad thing...

so it makes no odds to me
  • Options
    Originally posted by Theydon Bois
    a plane with 4 engines has 4 engines for a reason...it needs 4 engines!

so it should make no difference as to whether a plane has 2 or 4 engines, as loosing any engines from a plane that needs 2, or 4 engines to fly is obvioulsy a very bad thing...

so it makes no odds to me

Not so, a plane with 4 engines could happily run on just two. A plane with 2 engines could (to an extent) run on one, but obviously is reduced to gliding should 2 engines fail, whereas this wont happen with a 4 engine plan until it has lost 3 engines.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've never noticed how many engines a plane I've been on has, and I've been on many. I always feel safe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I've never noticed how many engines a plane I've been on has, and I've been on many. I always feel safe.

Same here. But 4 I guess, then you still have three engines running if one messes up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I do not feel safe travelling in a plane full stop.

I have to agree with you... for once ;)
  • Options
    Doesn't matter to me, as long as they are powerful enough to push you into your seat on takeoff and makes lots of noise:D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Zalbor

i agree :yes:

the chances are i shall get from A to B more safely than if i was travelling by car on the motorway.

in answer to the question, i dont really care.
  • Options
    really doesnt bother me, have flown in one of those lite planes before and still felt really safe - it was just noisy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    I have to agree with you... for once ;)

hehe
  • Options
    If any engine on a plane you're on fails, regardless of how many it has, you're gonna be shitting it anyway.

It'd happened to me before and I'm pretty sure I didn't find any reassurance along the lines of "Well it could be worse: I could be on a two engine plane!"
  • Options
    i dont mind. A planes a plane. Its not going to crash. But then again i do want to be a pilot so it does help having this attitude.