Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

files on one pc..i want to.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
put them onto another. Basically.

My cousins pc with lots of cool shit and my laptop that doesnt.

There must be a simple way of doing this and what would you need? its just data transferring.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    USB drive?
    Burn it onto a CD rom?
    Or connect using a Serial lead and run the XP wizard?
  • Options
    I have a dvd writer etc etc.

but my cousin doesnt, so it would have to be with a cable or whatnot.
  • Options
    does it have to be a serial connector on both sides?

confused.
  • Options
    I assume both computers have USB ports, and both computers have network cards/connections?
    Most new computers in the past couple of years now have a built in 10/100 network card. In which case you can connect both computers together with a network crossover cable (note that it's important to make sure it's a crossover cable). Then connect both together, and run the network wizards to allow both computers to share files. Do a Google search on setting up networks.

You could do this with the serial ports, using a null modem serial lead that connects both computers through the serial ports. However, even on its fastest settings, it's a very slow way of transferring files. Good for small files, like small Word or Excel documents, the odd photo, or wiring both machines together for game playing, but not much good for anything else.

You can connect both computers directly through the USB ports, but again you need a special cable (can't remember exactly what it's called), to allow you to do it without damaging the computers. It's a quick way to transfer files. Just run the networking wizards once connected.

Does your cousin fancy a CD or DVD re-writer? CD-RW drives can be bought for less than twenty quid now. Buy one and fit it. A DVD-RW can be bought for under fifty quid - worth contemplating.

Other options include wireless networking, bluetooth, IR ports, etc. But aren't as cheap or easy as the above methods.