Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The MOBO awards and homophobia

For the second year running the black music awards ceremony, the MOBO, has attracted condemnation for the nomination of homophobic artists.

Full story here...

... and a letter from OutRage! explaining its reasons for protesting.

Apparently some people have accused OutRage! of 'racism' because "they're attacking 'black music'" and this is what black people like to hear... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if the 2 artists concerned this year have apologised for past lyrics and the singles that are nominated have no homophobic content, are there still grounds to demand the show does not go ahead?

Well one of them has apologized… I’m not sure about the other. And to be frank there should be absolutely zero tolerance to any lyrics that advocate beating homosexual people to death…
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Free speech?

Again people will 'label' black culture (as if there is any one homogenous black culture) as bad for being homophobic!

Sorry but most parts of the world are! People in the Islamic world for example have negative attitudes towards gays.
  • Options
    What does that mean?

Black societies are more homophobic than Western ones (and don't flame it's true to an extent).

Take Nigeria. It's a very religious country and the Muslims and Christians in that nation would oppose homosexuality based on respective passages from the Bible and Koran.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    What does that mean?

Black societies are more homophobic than Western ones (and don't flame it's true to an extent).

Take Nigeria. It's a very religious country and the Muslims and Christians in that nation would oppose homosexuality based on respective passages from the Bible and Koran.

We are not in Nigeria, being prejudice toward a person for reasons of colour, sex, marital status or sexuality, along with many other reasons, is, whether you like it or not, illegal in this country.
  • Options
    That wasn't my point. Black African societies ARE more homophobic on average than European ones.

When did I advocate 'being prejudiced to people' in this thread?

And is it illegal? Committing 'hate crimes' against people is illegal, yes. Simply thinking 'prejudiced' thoughts isn't.
  • Options
    Thinking is not a crime. Advocating and inciting murder is.

In any case I don't think this incident is much representative of black attitudes at large. There are nearly 100 nominees in the awards. Only two of them have produced homophobic tracks in the past- or as far as OutRage is concerned. That is not a lot by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    That wasn't my point. Black African societies ARE more homophobic on average than European ones.

When did I advocate 'being prejudiced to people' in this thread?

And is it illegal? Committing 'hate crimes' against people is illegal, yes. Simply thinking 'prejudiced' thoughts isn't.

Acting in a prejudice way is. Companies can be taken to court for not employing a person because of any of the things I've listed.

You personally didn't advocate being prejudice, but how is Nigeria relevant to the discussion? The black community in question is either British or American, and therefore have to abide by the rules of the country.
  • Options
    If whites were advocating similar actions against blacks as these musicians are against gays there would be massive opposition – and rightly so. Society generally views homophobia as being unacceptable; it’s therefore wrong for the MOBO’s to be celebrating hatred. There is of course the free speech issue and I don’t think these lyrics should be banned as sick as they may be. On the other hand, these lyrics definitely should not be promoted as the Mobo’s seem to be doing.

Saying all this I don’t really see the need for a black music awards ceremony given that virtually all popular music is of black origin.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    If whites were advocating similar actions against blacks as these musicians are against gays there would be massive opposition – and rightly so. Society generally views homophobia as being unacceptable; it’s therefore wrong for the MOBO’s to be celebrating hatred. There is of course the free speech issue and I don’t think these lyrics should be banned as sick as they may be. On the other hand, these lyrics definitely should not be promoted as the Mobo’s seem to be doing.

Saying all this I don’t really see the need for a black music awards ceremony given that virtually all popular music is of black origin.

The response from the MOBOs is that the artist in question hasn't performed a homophobic track for years. Should that matter?

They're incorperating asian music now, and it hasn't always been the case for mobo type music to be in the mainstream.
  • Options

Not really true. Certainly they played a substantial part.
  • Options
    Once a queer-basher, always a queer-basher.

The BBC should be ashamed of themselves, as should the MOBO organisers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Once a queer-basher, always a queer-basher.

The BBC should be ashamed of themselves, as should the MOBO organisers.

That, I think, is not really fair. People can and do change their opinions of things. Especially as they grow older.

Perhaps the BBC should know better, but the MOBOs should just be about the music.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    the MOBOs should just be about the music.

Yet you feel sporting events such as the Olympics are an appropriate outlet to make political protest against Israel…

If for instance the American Country Music Awards rewarded an artist with racist or homophobic lyrics would you still have the same attitude in that it ‘should be just about the music’?
  • Options
    Yet you feel sporting events such as the Olympics are an appropriate outlet to make political protest against Israel…

If for instance the American Country Music Awards rewarded an artist with racist or homophobic lyrics would you still have the same attitude in that it ‘should be just about the music’?

You're right, somehow they don't seem the same, but you're right. Sorry.

Do you agree that an artist has the right to change his opinions without being punished for it for the rest of his career though?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    You're right, somehow they don't seem the same, but you're right. Sorry.

Do you agree that an artist has the right to change his opinions without being punished for it for the rest of his career though?

Lol, thanks! :)

Yes, I do think all people can change their opinions. For instance somebody could be brought up not knowing anybody who is gay and is surrounded by homophobic attitudes and pretty much has bigotry drummed into them growing up. Well unsurprisingly they’d probably be homophobic. But then, as time goes on…they get to know people and become more open-minded and tolerant. If that’s the case, I definitely agree they should not be punished for the rest of their career.

In this case though, isn’t the artists sincerity of his ‘apology’ somewhat questionable?

Cheers...have a good weekend!
  • Options
    Lol, thanks! :)

Yes, I do think all people can change their opinions. For instance somebody could be brought up not knowing anybody who is gay and is surrounded by homophobic attitudes and pretty much has bigotry drummed into them growing up. Well unsurprisingly they’d probably be homophobic. But then, as time goes on…they get to know people and become more open-minded and tolerant. If that’s the case, I definitely agree they should not be punished for the rest of their career.

In this case though, isn’t the artists sincerity of his ‘apology’ somewhat questionable?

Cheers...have a good weekend!

I think that sincerity is entirely subjective. He could mean it entirely, and the reason a person is not so sure is simply because of the way he talks, the only fair way to decide is to see if he keeps to it.