Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Studying Choices

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's well known that some people do well under the pressure of exams, and that other people are absolutley hopeless under exam conditions.

Shouldn't we be given the choice in our studies of whether to be assessed in an exam or through coursework?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think that individuals should be able to choose, however I do beleive that individual schools should be able to choose what modules or exams are to be taken. I think that students should have to do exams though, but maybe there should be a bit more coursework, say 40% coursework and 60% exams or something.
  • Options
    I propose something similar to the German system.

It's a tiered system, like ours, but that's where the similarities end. There are three tiers, one is high-stream academia, such as a top range grammar school in this country, one is middle of the road, majority of assesment is based on academic skills, like a standard secondary school here, the third is much more practical, like a vocational qualification here.

The most interesting thing about the system is that there is no exam to determine where you shuold be. The student chooses which school they'd rather go to. It apparently works quite well.
  • Options
    but some people cannot do exams- for the reason that they crumble under pressure or have medical reasons that inhibit them. the exam therefore does not give an accurate view of their capability in the subject.

I think the choice would be fairer as people who can thrive under exams can choose that, and people who don't could choose coursework.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    but some people cannot do exams- for the reason that they crumble under pressure or have medical reasons that inhibit them. the exam therefore does not give an accurate view of their capability in the subject.

I think the choice would be fairer as people who can thrive under exams can choose that, and people who don't could choose coursework.

That's how the german system works. To be fair I think that depending on your tier you should be facing the same challenges as everyone else. If you find exam pressure hard, you need to learn to deal with it. Some people can't do course-work, or find it hard, because of the lack of pressure.
  • Options
    ahh, you didn't say that in your overview of the german system.

that's why I think people should be given the choice. The people who fail at coursework would take exams, the people who fail exams would take coursework.

and it's not just about coping with the pressure, medical problems affect it too. Dyslexia, Nystagmus, RSI. I'm not all too clued up on Dyslexia, but Nystagmus definitely gets worse under pressure.
  • Options
    ahh, you didn't say that in your overview of the german system.

that's why I think people should be given the choice. The people who fail at coursework would take exams, the people who fail exams would take coursework.

and it's not just about coping with the pressure, medical problems affect it too. Dyslexia, Nystagmus, RSI. I'm not all too clued up on Dyslexia, but Nystagmus definitely gets worse under pressure.

Dyslexia is all about your capacity to compensate. It had next to no affect during the first few years at school. But as the level of work required, and therefore the amount of my mind concentrating on it, rose, my dyslexia got worse. Exams don't help but there are ways of dealing with it, extra time, learning style etc.

reply to your PMs roo!
  • Options
    extra time doesnt help your vision with nystagmus tho once you're already stressed out, you see less and less!
  • Options
    extra time doesnt help your vision with nystagmus tho once you're already stressed out, you see less and less!

it is possible to have infinate extra time though babes. I also pointed out that learning to deal with it is a necessary evil. People get stressed.
  • Options
    yes, but exams are there to find out if you know enough about a subject, not to stress you out. some people just cannot do exams!
  • Options
    yes, but exams are there to find out if you know enough about a subject, not to stress you out. some people just cannot do exams!

If they're only there to find out how much you know, why don't you just take the exam? Either you know it or you don't, why get stressed about it?
  • Options
    but it's more the time issue, you rush to get your knowledge out in time. whereas coursework is less pressure and less rush.
  • Options
    but it's more the time issue, you rush to get your knowledge out in time. whereas coursework is less pressure and less rush.

I was rushed terribly with my coursework. I didn't do one of them for science. Maths was horribly stressful

The time issue, as i have already said, is not really that big of a deal. KTT got 50%, it's possible to have 100% and even infinte time for an exam.
  • Options
    Then you would choose the exam option.

But to be fair, surely people should be given the assessment option of where they perform strongest?
  • Options
    well no cause people are expected to prove themselves in non-ideal conditions in life, so academic examination should give no preference to students, they should be allowed extra time if there is a proper medical reason to why they cant finish exam in given time but thats about, the only consideration given in how to assess a student, should be "whats the best and fairest way of finding out this students strengths and weaknesses" not "what does the student like"
  • Options
    yes, but I am talking about fairness in representation.

Some people can go through the school year getting As and yet when it comes to the exam, fail miserably.

Therefore, exams are not necessarily an accurate representation or judgement.
  • Options
    wel they can resit then, you shjould be prepared for fact you have exams coming up, only way of getting good at them
  • Options
    But as they've been getting As etc all throughout the year, and have done plenty of revision, it's not the fact that they haven't prepared...
  • Options
    it isnt just about knowing the stuff, its about expressing it correctly in the appropiate form, and not thinking "im going to fail" but thinking "lets do this properly" can help loads

anyway if a student been getting As all year, and they have a really off day and fail the paper, theyd surely learn their lesson of being ready for exams physically and do a resit, i did

if you want spoonfed education, go to private schools
  • Options
    Then you would choose the exam option.

But to be fair, surely people should be given the assessment option of where they perform strongest?

I wouldn't, I'm the same in exams. It's unfair to assess people in ideal conditions, and unrealistic. Lets say for arguements sake I have to be examined with exactly 33% extra time, on the 5th floor in the corner room of a building with vivaldi's four seasons playing.

What rubbish.

Everyone needs to be assessed the same way based on their subjects. If you pick an subject that is non-vocational you can expect an exam at the end. It's about practice, if you know you find it difficult, you need to do them over and over and over. Not whinge about how unfair it is.
  • Options
    Re: Studying Choices
    It's well known that some people do well under the pressure of exams, and that other people are absolutley hopeless under exam conditions.

Shouldn't we be given the choice in our studies of whether to be assessed in an exam or through coursework?

Employment causes people to have to cope with pressure - it's a fact of life.

Coursework is far too veigh to replace exams - not to mention the fact it's easy to get through coursework with the help of others. Wouldn't work.