Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Arabs to blame for all world ills?

Sudan.
Palestine.
Saudi Arabia.
Afghanisatan.
East Timor.
Iran.
Iraq.
Syria.

Discuss.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Arabs to blame for all world ills?
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Sudan.
    Palestine.
    Saudi Arabia.
    Afghanisatan.
    East Timor.
    Iran.
    Iraq.
    Syria.

Discuss.

and how many of those countries have been destroyed as a result of us Westerners. ITS OUR FAULT
  • Options
    Yes, yes they are

Sorry, I'm too silly to be posting this evening really.

Turlough: You can be a big man and blame everything on yourself if you want. But a large number of western countries, specifically the EU are trying to help in the best way they can, history has been, and gone, and it's no longer our fault. We can beat ourselves over the head with past facts and faults, or we can remember, move on, and try again.
  • Options
    On a wind up mission tonight are we Kermit? :D

Anyway, you could also say (for instance)

Americans to blame for all of world's ills?

China 1945-46

Korea 1950-53

China 1950-53

Guatemala 1954

Indonesia 1958

Cuba 1959-60

Guatemala 1960

Congo 1964

Peru 1965

Laos 1964-73

Vietnam 1961-73

Cambodia 1969-70

Guatemala 1967-69

Grenada 1983

Libya 1986

El Salvador 1980s

Nicaragua 1980s

Panama 1989

Iraq 1991-99

Sudan 1998

Afghanistan 1998

Yugoslavia 1999

Afghanistan 2001

Iraq 2003

Or even "Britain to blame for all of world's ills"?

Chiefly their role cementing the basis of the Middle East conflict (arguably the single most dangerous and controversial conflict in the world for 5 decades), or their total submission to and collaboration in recent American Imperialistic crusades?

Or "Christians to blame for all of world's ills"?

Or "Jews to blame for all of world's ills"?

It all seems rather pointless.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    But a large number of western countries, specifically the EU are trying to help in the best way they can.

is that why western banks are still trying to get money back off countries that are suffering form war, famine, etc. And with the exception of East timor, Iran and Syria, all the countries on that list have ended up worse because of western "help"
  • Options
    US supported the brutality shown to East Timor actually. We were the ones who backed the Suharto regime.

So yes, we did have a hand in the slaughter visited upon the East Timorese prior to their independence.
  • Options
    i agree with turlough.

first of all most Arab countries were British colonies and when they were given independance each country was split up in rather odd ways (use Oman and UAE as an example, there is a small stretch of land situated slap bang in between Dubai and a small mountain town called Hatta. which inevitibly has caused small conflicts. Or what about the islands off the UAE coast which is within UAE territory but also in Iranian territory, even more problems). Those are examples of things Britain did in the past which caused conflict today.

Examples of newly caused conflict, we dont need to look further than what the American Government did in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Palestine and Israel conflicts have come about mainly due to Palestinians whose famillies have settled there for hundreds of years being told that its no longer their country or land anymore...i dont think its the Israelis fault but the group of people who decided to let them settle there. i believe that they need a homeland but i dont agree with westeners taking someone else's homeland in order to give the Jews theirs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    US supported the brutality shown to East Timor actually. We were the ones who backed the Suharto regime.

So yes, we did have a hand in the slaughter visited upon the East Timorese prior to their independence.

the saying is true, you learn something new every day thanx :)
  • Options
    Good God, trust you Kermit, keep quiet in future!

Everyone on the planet are wankers, the west can't be blamed for everything, neither can anyone else.

Turlough: trying to get money of countries suffering war and famine? Did we start the wars that cause the famine? Hardly.

Aladdin: China is quite capable of fucking itself up without the west taking any responsibility. And a lot of the conflicts mentioned are also to do with the spread of communism and that pointless conflict.

We cannot, and should not, shoulder the blame for the world. They cocked up as well, at least in some small way, the west is making a real effort to apologise for it.

Take the pope for example. When he visited the head of the eastern orthodox church in constantinople, he apologised for the sacking of the city 700 years ago. It doesn't un-make what happened in some way. But it's a gesture that should not be disregarded.
  • Options

Turlough: trying to get money of countries suffering war and famine? Did we start the wars that cause the famine? Hardly.

no but is it not quite sickening when a country whose top 3 richest people have more money than some countries in Africa yet still ask for billions of them. wake up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    no but is it not quite sickening when a country whose top 3 richest people have more money than some countries in Africa yet still ask for billions of them. wake up.

Do not suggest that I am unaware of the facts because I am arguing a different perspective. You will become rapidly aware that you are wrong.

I fail to see how it is sickening, those far below the poverty line in this country still have to pay their bills, they borrow money, they must pay it back.

It is, however, disappointing; when the governments of various countries are stable, maybe we can consider cancelling their debt. But until then, it would be a pointless excercise.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I am sorry for being so dumb again but I thought East Timor is near Thailand or around there. So how is it an Arab country? Or have I got it wrong?

It's next to indonesia. I'm also unsure. It's also 95% catholic, so it couldn't even be lumped into the muslim catagory.
  • Options
    I am sorry for being so dumb again but I thought East Timor is near Thailand or around there. So how is it an Arab country? Or have I got it wrong?

no no no no...what mr. i have an opinion about everything Kermit is trying to say that us Arabs had something to do with why all the problems started in East Timor...*sigh* ...really, the Arabs are quite harmless if left to themselves
  • Options
    That was it Indonesia!

East Timor was seperated from them in 2003 wasn't they? or was
    it 2002? Is it seen as an independant country now?

it is, I remember now.
  • Options
    The Arabs certainly do seem to be involved in a lot of the wars, massacres and human rights abuses in the world today.
    ITS OUR FAULT

Jesus christ, this attitude of self-hatred is widespread amongst the Western left, its quite simply pathetic.

Its quite obviously not our fault, you idiot.

Im just going to cover the main ones, itd take too long to do the rest.
    China 1945-46

They were fighting before, the Americans were simply trying to stop communism coming to power. The fact that they failed is the real tradgedy, condemning a billion people to murder and torture under Mao and his 'Cultural Revolution' and 'Great Leap Forward' et al. Oh yes, and without America help the democratic state of Taiwan would not exist. Oh, but wait, your usually the first to rush to the defence of Stalinist regimes arent you?
    Korea 1950-53

Kim il Sung saught permission from Moscow and Stalin to invade the South, he tried, the Americans fought him (and the Maoist Chinese) off, securing South Korea for dDemocracy. Nuclear weapons should have been used, the US should have crushed both Kim il Sung and the Chinese army then and there, it would have nopt condemned millions to decades of (still going on) tyranny, and would have prevented the current tensions.
    Vietnam 1961-73

Vietnam was a necessary war. Read Michael Linds book on the subject and you'll see why. Needless to say, it could have and should have been won. Because it didnt and wasnt, Vietnam suffered years of Stalinist esque purges and invaded Laos and Cambodia numerous times. Plus they supported the Khmer Rouge which slaughtered 'affluent' peasents and intellectuals.

Most of those others were part of the wider and
    very real threat of the spread of Soviet Communism, which togeather with Maoism, has been responsible for the deaths of over 85 million people.
    Iraq 1991-99

GUlf War 1, international coalition, throwing Saddam out of Kuwait, need I say more. Incidentally, the UN mandate and guidelines prevented the Coalition forces from sopping Saddam crushing a Shia uprising in the south of the couhtry, which could have easily succeeded with US support. Saddam only invaded because he thought the US wouldnt stop him, a more forceful US foreign policy in the past would have prevented this.
    Yugoslavia 1999

Erm, genocide,? Ethnic cleansing?
    Afghanistan 2001

War on terror, I am not going to convince you that this is right so i wont bother.
    Chiefly their role cementing the basis of the Middle East conflict (arguably the single most dangerous and controversial conflict in the world for 5 decades), or their total submission to and collaboration in recent American Imperialistic crusades?

Tell me a better way to divide up the Middle East in the early 20th and Id like to hear it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    The Arabs certainly do seem to be involved in a lot of the wars, massacres and human rights abuses in the world today.

Jesus christ, this attitude of self-hatred is widespread amongst the Western left, its quite simply pathetic.

Its quite obviously not our fault, you idiot.

Im just going to cover the main ones, itd take too long to do the rest.

They were fighting before, the Americans were simply trying to stop communism coming to power. The fact that they failed is the real tradgedy, condemning a billion people to murder and torture under Mao and his 'Cultural Revolution' and 'Great Leap Forward' et al. Oh yes, and without America help the democratic state of Taiwan would not exist. Oh, but wait, your usually the first to rush to the defence of Stalinist regimes arent you?

Kim il Sung saught permission from Moscow and Stalin to invade the South, he tried, the Americans fought him (and the Maoist Chinese) off, securing South Korea for dDemocracy. Nuclear weapons should have been used, the US should have crushed both Kim il Sung and the Chinese army then and there, it would have nopt condemned millions to decades of (still going on) tyranny, and would have prevented the current tensions.

Vietnam was a necessary war. Read Michael Linds book on the subject and you'll see why. Needless to say, it could have and should have been won. Because it didnt and wasnt, Vietnam suffered years of Stalinist esque purges and invaded Laos and Cambodia numerous times. Plus they supported the Khmer Rouge which slaughtered 'affluent' peasents and intellectuals.

Most of those others were part of the wider and
    very real threat of the spread of Soviet Communism, which togeather with Maoism, has been responsible for the deaths of over 85 million people.

GUlf War 1, international coalition, throwing Saddam out of Kuwait, need I say more. Incidentally, the UN mandate and guidelines prevented the Coalition forces from sopping Saddam crushing a Shia uprising in the south of the couhtry, which could have easily succeeded with US support. Saddam only invaded because he thought the US wouldnt stop him, a more forceful US foreign policy in the past would have prevented this.

Erm, genocide,? Ethnic cleansing?

War on terror, I am not going to convince you that this is right so i wont bother.

Tell me a better way to divide up the Middle East in the early 20th and Id like to hear it.

Boosh! Checkmate. Good points well made tailed off a little toward the end, and I'm not conviced by Vietnam, but nicely done anyway, nice to see knowledge being excercise.
  • Options
    matadore, i can always remeber you being a right wing fascist anyway, your explanation of them wars is good but its funny how you phrase some things, "America were simply trying to stop communism coming to power", another way to put it is "America tried to force their capatailist ideals on another country who choose communism as a form of government", whats wrong with communism, is it illegal no, so why should some country who thinks its wrong stop another country who thinks it is ok.
  • Options
    matadore, i can always remeber you being a right wing fascist anyway, your explanation of them wars is good but its funny how you phrase some things, "America were simply trying to stop communism coming to power", another way to put it is "America tried to force their capatailist ideals on another country who choose communism as a form of government", whats wrong with communism, is it illegal no, so why should some country who thinks its wrong stop another country who thinks it is ok.

What's wrong with communism? You mean other than the millions of deaths caused by every communist regime ever to hit the planet? The oppression of any and every person from all walks of ordinary life? The inaccesability of any government process and the lack of oppurtunity to visit the 'outside' world? The risks taken simply by asking if what the government is doing is a good idea?

Other than all of that.. nothing, at least, nothing I can think of.

If you can't argue with someone without bringing in their political sympathies as a way of dismissing what they've said you need to check the sign on the way in mate. This is about debate, not slander.

Theoretically communism is great. Historically it's one of the biggest balls ups to ever hit the planet.
  • Options

If you can't argue with someone without bringing in their political sympathies as a way of dismissing what they've said you need to check the sign on the way in mate. This is about debate, not slander.

Theoretically communism is great. Historically it's one of the biggest balls ups to ever hit the planet.

fiend, its a website, not a way of life, DO NOT TAKE THIS PLACE TOO SERIOUSLY, people slag other people off here all the time. i don't take it seriously, do you??

as for the second part of that quote, just because it didn't work, doesn't mean that another country has the right to invade it and change it, capatilism has many flaws in it aswell, big gap between rich and poor that grows all the time.
  • Options
    fiend, its a website, not a way of life, DO NOT TAKE THIS PLACE TOO SERIOUSLY, people slag other people off here all the time. i don't take it seriously, do you??

as for the second part of that quote, just because it didn't work, doesn't mean that another country has the right to invade it and change it, capatilism has many flaws in it aswell, big gap between rich and poor that grows all the time.

Who's talking about rights? You asked what's wrong with communism, I answered.

Also I'm aware of what it is, and I don't take it so seriously it affects the rest of my life. But if you want to slag people off, keep it to anything goes, I'm here to have reasoned discussion when you attempt to use an insult to back up your arguement, you just look a bit stupid.
  • Options
    Who's talking about rights? You asked what's wrong with communism, I answered.

Also I'm aware of what it is, and I don't take it so seriously it affects the rest of my life. But if you want to slag people off, keep it to anything goes, I'm here to have reasoned discussion when you attempt to use an insult to back up your arguement, you just look a bit stupid.

he called me an idiot, i called him a fascist, i didn't say, "its because of your right wing ideals that you said...", read the thread again properly and you'll understand.
  • Options
    What is wrong with communism... China!

:rolleyes: with the fastest growing economy in the world.
  • Options
    capatilism has many flaws in it aswell, big gap between rich and poor that grows all the time.

Hardly worse than the deaths of millions though, is it?
    ountry who choose communism as a form of government

No, no NO!

The vast majority of all Commuinst governments HAVE NOT BEEN CHOSEN BY THE PEOPLE! They involve a coup, followed by brutality and violence to enforce their control.

Marxism, Leninism, Stalinism, Maoism, Communism - all responsible for more human suffering than all the other typres of government.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

The vast majority of all Commuinst governments HAVE NOT BEEN CHOSEN BY THE PEOPLE! They involve a coup, followed by brutality and violence to enforce their control.

Marxism, Leninism, Stalinism, Maoism, Communism - all responsible for more human suffering than all the other typres of government.

good point, its so weird how you can start of talking about arabs then finish by talking about communism.
  • Options
    with the fastest growing economy in the world.

HAHAHAHHAH , CLASSIC. So , your saying thats a good thing now?

Lets look at what you posted earlier.
    big gap between rich and poor that grows all the time.

Now , which is the most unequal economy in the world? CHINA baby!

The difference in quality of life between the 400 million peasents and the rest is unbelieverable.

And besides, China is still effectively a police state. Some fast (unsustainable) economic growth doesnt erase the deaths of millions from history.
  • Options
    time for the suitable comment of the day

end racism, kill everyone
  • Options
    What's wrong with communism? You mean other than the millions of deaths caused by every communist regime ever to hit the planet?

Communist would point out that there is yet to have been a communist state in the world.

Many claiming to be communist, but none which actually were/are.
    The inaccesability of any government process and the lack of oppurtunity to visit the 'outside' world?

Okay, I can only visit another country if my Govt lets me and I wouldn't exactly refer to our Govt processes as accessable, would you?
  • Options
    "America tried to force their capatailist ideals on another country who choose communism as a form of government"

Was it the country which chose communism, or was it a minority of the population which had it enforced upon them?

How many times have the populations of these countries voted a "communist" regime into power?

We can sit an criticise what the US/UK/"West" has done over the past few centuries, or we could look at what those nations have done to themselves. Fundamentally though is the point which has been made here in the past. Capability has played a bigger part than ideology.
  • Options
    What is wrong with communism... China!

China was never communist in the strictest sense. Marx stated that communism would emerge as a stateless state (meaning condition not country) in which all the means of production are collectively owned.

That didn't take place in China, since all the means of production used to be owned by the state.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Communist would point out that there is yet to have been a communist state in the world.

Many claiming to be communist, but none which actually were/are.

I'll think you'll find I pointed that out at the end of my post. There's no need to be as anal as I am when we agree now is there?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Okay, I can only visit another country if my Govt lets me and I wouldn't exactly refer to our Govt processes as accessable, would you?

This is another truly anal point, seeing as everyone can get a passport, so long as they havn't been banned on the basis of criminal record, and it's therefore the decision of the destination country.

I'm not sure if you mean to type inaccessable or accessable above. But we have the right to a public trial in this country, fair and anonymous voting, we are not part of a police state, and so on and so forth. Which is vastly more than people who reside in 'communist' countries can, and could have, expected