Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

patent laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hmm dont you think copyright and patent laws are extending too far into modern life like since when are 'ideas' or genes something that can be monopolisied

Comments

• Options
    Re: patent laws
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    hmm dont you think copyright and patent laws are extending too far into modern life like since when are 'ideas' or genes something that can be monopolisied

I agree to an extent, but it's important to scientists that no-one else pinches their idea, which has happened loads in the past. They put so much of their life into a genetic cose, it's apparently like losing a child if someone else lays claim to it.
  • Options
    theres no recent specific stories i can name, but to my knowledge some biofirms have patents to specific genes

and currently there are a wad of companies trying to patent the end results of their programming, ie the scrollbar etc completly stifling all creativity thank god the law hasnt been passed that makes these patents legally binding

i think patents should only apply to real physical inventions
  • Options
    theres no recent specific stories i can name, but to my knowledge some biofirms have patents to specific genes

and currently there are a wad of companies trying to patent the end results of their programming, ie the scrollbar etc completly stifling all creativity thank god the law hasnt been passed that makes these patents legally binding

i think patents should only apply to real physical inventions

Perhaps a new system for being officially the person to come up with idea x?
  • Options
    but how specific can an idea patent cover?

if its too broad it stifles all chance of competition and if it too narrow, people will rip them off

surely the job of the person whose idea it is, is to make sure he makes use of it well and let free market economics take hold
  • Options
    but how specific can an idea patent cover?

if its too broad it stifles all chance of competition and if it too narrow, people will rip them off

surely the job of the person whose idea it is, is to make sure he makes use of it well and let free market economics take hold

patents just say "I made this!" you can use them, but may have to pay a small fee for doing so.
  • Options
    I wish I was the guy who invented the idea of HTML back in the 80's.
    I bet he's kicking himself for not patenting it.
  • Options
    if he patented it though, noone wuld be arsed to pay him though, simply so someone would invent another language, and make it to be highly similar but not quite html

its like saying "im going to patent the english language" - you cant do that!

its all fucking greed these days
  • Options
    if he patented it though, noone wuld be arsed to pay him though, simply so someone would invent another language, and make it to be highly similar but not quite html

its like saying "im going to patent the english language" - you cant do that!

its all fucking greed these days

People spend their lives researching something, working on say a programming language like HTML, they deserve to be able to live off it. It's not, as you say, "all fucking greed", some of these guys have realy earned it.
  • Options
    well yeh make a good program that uses it and sell it then, or sell the idea to a company or something

most of the time it is done out of greed though

especially the gene research
  • Options
    well yeh make a good program that uses it and sell it then, or sell the idea to a company or something

What says these guys will get what it's worth?

For example. Dyson, he could have sold the idea of a cyclone vac, and what he'd ahve got a few grand if that? 10 at the most? He's a millionaire now, and he earned it, and good luck to him.

Patenting gene's is a bit silly yeah, but it's not like we have to pay to have them is it?

It's generic drugs that are really the problem.
  • Options
    why are generic drugs a problem?

and the man who made dyson, yeh he's patented parts that do things, theyre still physical objects he has created himself, and he also started making them himself too, on a good design too
  • Options
    why are generic drugs a problem?

and the man who made dyson, yeh he's patented parts that do things, theyre still physical objects he has created himself, and he also started making them himself too, on a good design too

Why is the work on Dyson any less valid than the years of research put in by genetic scientists?

Generic drugs are a problem because people who own the patents make third world countries pay a shit load. Or force them into buying the brand name version. Drug companies also patent treatments that have been used for thousands of years by native tribes in africa.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Why is the work on Dyson any less valid than the years of research put in by genetic scientists?

Generic drugs are a problem because people who own the patents make third world countries pay a shit load. Or force them into buying the brand name version. Drug companies also patent treatments that have been used for thousands of years by native tribes in africa.

well generic drugs aint a problem, its patented drugs that are a problem then, also why no new form of antibiotics have been discovered in past 50 years

but why should any group of people own a gene, if thats actually possible since they didnt create them, they were created by evolution, its like patenting gravity, comeplty stupid
  • Options
    well generic drugs aint a problem, its patented drugs that are a problem then, also why no new form of antibiotics have been discovered in past 50 years

but why should any group of people own a gene, if thats actually possible since they didnt create them, they were created by evolution, its like patenting gravity, comeplty stupid

When you've done scientific research you may not feel the same way. Patenting puts your name on it, and like patenting gravity or not, these people have work really hard. As I say before unless you get your name on something first in the scientific world, some complete bastard will come along and take it from you.
  • Options
    Re: patent laws

Is intellectual property in itself a good thing though?
  • Options
    no it isnt!

and fiend, well theres a difference between giving recognition to the person who discovered or invented it, ie naming it after them or something, but to give someone the sole rights to something so noone can use it without their consent, thats just stupid and monopolistic

like real physical inventions, they can be patented which i dont mind as someone has used knowledge to build a device that does something, but to do the same to 'intellectual property' is just unethical in my opinion

you shouldnt be able to legally patent an idea, possibly if you build some sort of device with that idea, you can patent that so noone rips off your design, but not the actual idea of it
  • Options
    and fiend, well theres a difference between giving recognition to the person who discovered or invented it, ie naming it after them or something, but to give someone the sole rights to something so noone can use it without their consent, thats just stupid and monopolistic

That's the point, there are plenty of times that recognition has been given to a person who is undeserving or 'late' simply because some other poor sod can't get his papers published.
  • Options
    well solve that problem directly by helping them get them published
  • Options
    well solve that problem directly by helping them get them published

Well that seems like the easy answer but scientists, and in many cases rightly so, are notoriously secretive and distrusting.
  • Options
    but you dont fuck around with principle laws to help them as, patent laws on ideas and discoveries(note the wording! not inventions) are just wrong, and lots of places do work on things at the same time, so if someone doesnt get recognition cause they too slow, sorry mate, thats life!
  • Options
    but you dont fuck around with principle laws to help them as, patent laws on ideas are just wrong, and lots of places do work on things at the same time, like 2 different groups on other side sof the world, discovered this subatomic particle, so its named after both as they both gave same answers with different methods. so it now the J/Psi Particle

they should be better at publishing their work, and approach somewhere for help if needbe

Where to approach though? If you approach a larger organisation they may just pinch it from you.

Just to make myself clear, I don't as such think that patenting certain genetic codes is necessarily a good idea. I can see the need for a proper equivalent of copyright though.
  • Options
    You edited... how annoying.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Where to approach though? If you approach a larger organisation they may just pinch it from you.

Just to make myself clear, I don't as such think that patenting certain genetic codes is necessarily a good idea. I can see the need for a proper equivalent of copyright though.

sorry to eidt i just trying to phrase myself correctly

yeh on genetics, i think no patents should apply

software patents shouldnt exist as they hold up progress

invention patents, which is why they were invented, should exist

scientific discoveries, should get patents, any technology made from it can, but not the idea itself, the discoveries should get recognition the traditional way of naming it after discoverer
  • Options
    sorry to eidt i just trying to phrase myself correctly

yeh on genetics, i think no patents should apply

software patents shouldnt exist as they hold up progress

invention patents, which is why they were invented, should exist

scientific discoveries, should get patents, any technology made from it can, but not the idea itself, the discoveries should get recognition the traditional way of naming it after discoverer

Just out of interest, do you know of any sources where genetic patents have caused issue?
  • Options
    well it isnt the lack of argument thats the problem, thought id use a source here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/article/0,2763,397385,00.html

my objection to it is, that well, GM plants etc were 'created' so to speak so can be patented
    but you shouldnt be able patent genes or a gene sequence, as the source shows the financial reasons are stupid as the cost of working out a gene sequence are nothing compared to actually developing a working drug or treatment, so in my opinion drugs can be patented, but as the law stands a government canoverride it, and allow a generic one to be produced if it in good cause
  • Options
    well it isnt the lack of argument thats the problem, thought id use a source here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/article/0,2763,397385,00.html

my objection to it is, that well, GM plants etc were 'created' so to speak so can be patented
    but you shouldnt be able patent genes or a gene sequence, as the source shows the financial reasons are stupid as the cost of working out a gene sequence are nothing compared to actually developing a working drug or treatment, so in my opinion drugs can be patented, but as the law stands a government canoverride it, and allow a generic one to be produced if it in good cause

After reading the source, i agree.
  • Options
    My dad has come home at 6 in the morning, and spent weekends at the firm he then worked for, when developing something that was later patented.
    Of what use would it be, if he didn't get anything for it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    My dad has come home at 6 in the morning, and spent weekends at the firm he then worked for, when developing something that was later patented.
    Of what use would it be, if he didn't get anything for it?

Assuming that he was working on a physical product, then there wouldn't be much use. I suppose he gets paid as well?