Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wrexham Police try desperate measures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's just been announced on the news that the police in my town, Wrexham, are going to be giving out lollies to clubbers to try and stop violence. Apparently giving out things like swizzles lollies will take their mind of violence and fighting.

Can you really see this happening? I'd be ineterested to see peoples opinions on the whole idea.

My personal opinion is that the police will end up being laughed at, and that it probably won't reduce violence.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Wrexham Police try desperate measures
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    It's just been announced on the news that the police in my town, Wrexham, are going to be giving out lollies to clubbers to try and stop violence. Apparently giving out things like swizzles lollies will take their mind of violence and fighting.

Can you really see this happening? I'd be ineterested to see peoples opinions on the whole idea.

My personal opinion is that the police will end up being laughed at, and that it probably won't reduce violence.

Actually that's the weird thing. I did the night shift on security one year at a festival (you can just imagine what that can be like) basically, we just wanted these teenagers to sod off and go to bed.,(was a family thing, just for the record), so for the first few nights we spend hours chasing them round the site until they give in.

Come the fourth night, it's raining, it's cold, all they want is to sit under the marquee by the food court and talk. Which doesn't sound too unreasonable, but all the catering types are trying to sleep nearby. So us nasty security guards break into one of the venues and start handing out coffee, tea and hot choclate for free. Within an hour, and three hours before any previous night, everything was quiet.

Deal is, these teenagers were so freaked that we were just giving things out they didn't really know how to react. They became docile little lambs, then toodled off to bed. Job done.

I can see this having a chance at working, simply because of the shock of being given something for no reason.
  • Options
    Humans are simple creatures at heart.
    How many times have you been more concerned with something you're eating than what's going on around you?

I think it might work, it'll be interesting to see the results. And if it doesn't, it's hardly an expensive experiment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    How many times have you been more concerned with something you're eating than what's going on around you?

I think it might work, it'll be interesting to see the results. And if it doesn't, it's hardly an expensive experiment.

I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention, I have a lolly. :thumb:
  • Options

Hello you. Not seen you around here for quite some time, I thought you'd left. Nice to see you returning though. :)
  • Options
    thanx, I never really left though.
    I mainly stay here in politics tho.
  • Options
    yay for a politics man

if you give them enough tea and coffee and sugar over a couple of days they will get so hyper they will tire themselves out
  • Options
    thanx, I never really left though.
    I mainly stay here in politics tho.

That probably explains it. I rarely go into polotics. Mainly cause I know sweet fuck all about it, and you have to really work to back your opinion up in this forum.
  • Options
    They've done it elsewhere, and it has worked. I can't remember why it works, but it's something similar to why they play classical music in bus stations to stop kids loitering.

I don't understand why everyone is so scared of us in here. We're all harmless really.
  • Options
    Re: Wrexham Police try desperate measures
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac

Probably won't give lollies to homosexuals, or rockers knowing what they're like around here.

Don't see how the plan will work, they'll only become evebn more of a laughing stock. Maybe they'll put sedatives in the lollypops so they can go back to their doughnuts.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They've done it elsewhere, and it has worked. I can't remember why it works, but it's something similar to why they play classical music in bus stations to stop kids loitering.

I don't understand why everyone is so scared of us in here. We're all harmless really.

We're only harmless if you have 40 independant sources for your opinon, none of them are allowed to be from opinon pages either, or we let loose our pack of wild rabid dogs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    We're only harmless if you have 40 independant sources for your opinon, none of them are allowed to be from opinon pages either, or we let loose our pack of wild rabid dogs.

Oh yeh :blush:
  • Options
    Oh yeh :blush:

;):D
  • Options

The classical music thing is being trialled outside a shop in Bristol which has a lot of kids loitering. The kids however cut the speaker cable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    The classical music thing is being trialled outside a shop in Bristol which has a lot of kids loitering. The kids however cut the speaker cable.

Classic.