Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

24 hour drinking?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't wait till I get my fixed penalty book.
    Drunk in a highway? £40 please. or a night in the cells and £80.
    :)
  • Options
    I dont think fines are a good idea, you going to march them to a cash point? When their wasted?

Mace is what they need.

As for paying for the cost of the police, well its already farmed out to security companies, with the 1000's of people coming into places like Manchester the police could never cope without the security companies.
  • Options
    Fixed Penalty Notices are complete and utter bollocks, as they only ever punish the poor.

Rich drunkwards, as always, are perfectly fucking acceptable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Fixed Penalty Notices are complete and utter bollocks, as they only ever punish the poor.

Rich drunkwards, as always, are perfectly fucking acceptable.

I agree they hurt the poor more than the rich. But you'd have to be rolling in it not to notice £100 every week.

As for punishing the poor, we'd remove from the problem a sector of society, which would allow the police to deal with other problems surely?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Our licensing laws are stupid.

Why? :confused:

I can't see there being as many problems because instead of everybody coming out of the clubs or pubs at the same time, they'll be coming out at different times. So maybe there will be less fights outside the clubs.

perhaps then as there's no limit to last orders people will drink slower too? Plus more money spent on beer & more taxes in...

I'm really neither for or against it... I'd hate to work all night, in fact I'd refuse... also most place won't be able to afford it. What kind of sad prick goes out to get pissed at 7am anyway?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The licesning laws are stupid.

The trouble with binge drinking at the moment is that people have a set amount of time in which to drink- say they go out at seven, they know they have four hours. So, especially when it gets to 10.30, they start drinking faster in order to get a bit mroe in. It happens a lot.

Pubs wouldn't open 24 hours, except in major places, and even then few people would be drinking very early. Most people would still go home from the pub about 11pm, for most people it is late enough. BUt they would have the CHOICE.

this is what i do. this is why i think the 24 hour law will be good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Godders
    this is what i do. this is why i think the 24 hour law will be good.

Agreed, choice is often an important factor in human behaviour.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Why? :confused:

Because I can't always get a drink when I want one. I'm an adult, I should be allowed to buy alcohol whenever I want.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    What kind of sad prick goes out to get pissed at 7am anyway?

If I've been clubbing or partying all night, I quite like a drink at 7am.
  • Options
    Hmm I don't know what to say to that. I've never met anyone who decided drinking that early in the morning was a good idea.
  • Options
    You want to get out more then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    As for paying for the cost of the police, well its already farmed out to security companies, with the 1000's of people coming into places like Manchester the police could never cope without the security companies.

i was on the bus into town saturday night. on the way i saw 2 ambulances, 3 police vans and 2 cars (on separate occasions). this was at 10.30. :eek2:

most clubs/bars kick out at 2ish, i think theres one club with a 24hr license (sankeys) and even they dont use it, just the occasional allnighter every now and then. you can imagine how many people there are in the city centre. the police are never going to be able to manage it.

the council have been toying with going 24 hours for a while now, think they need approval from some important people(not sure). i cant really see how it can be a bad idea.

where did this british drinking culture come from anywho?
  • Options
    well it been here for ages, have you noticed in places where a law is enforced more, you get more idiots, like with underage sex and drinking, we have more binge drinking than europe, when they have the most relaxed legal attitude to drinking, and hte ylet kids have a small amount of wine with a meal or something, whilst that is illegal here, so when kids reach 15 they find it a bigger thrill when do start drinking, and dont appreciate it as wisely whilst the european kids see it less of a big deal as they been borught up on it

with places having 24 hours drinking would stop all the confrontation at 11pm and 1am that almost is the only time with violence