Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

False Allegations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/3575810.stm

See link for full story.

What do you think the penalty should be for making false allegations? Personally I think they should be severe not just because they waste Police time, but because they make it harder for real victims.

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by sexmuffin
    i saw that on the news the gurl should b ashamed!!

Girl
  • Options
    Originally posted by sexmuffin
    i saw that on the news the gurl should b ashamed!!

Correction
    I saw that on the news, (there's a comma here, you need to learn to use them) that girl (note spelling) should be (there are two letters in this word) ashamed. (a fullstop will do, if you want an exclaimation one mark will suffice)

But otherwise, it's a sorry state of affairs, rape is a serious allegation, she could have ruined someone's life, just being accused is a massive stigma. At least she admitted it, he may have had serious problems had it gone to court.
  • Options
    People know that it is something that you can use to get at someone, and the mud always sticks. I don't know if it happens a lot, or if the news reports every spiteful allegation, but there is a long list of it.

Look at John Leslie. Craig Charles. Neil hamilton. And they're just the celebs; there was a case of two students who'd done badly in a course saying that their professor had raped them in order to get back at him, and so on and so forth.

It's why it is so hard to make a rape allegation stick in court, because there are enough false accusations to make a jury err on the side of the defendant. Especially if a woman's sexual history is dragged up in court.