Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

blackheads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of them without those hideously expensive,non-working strip things?

Comments

• Options
    There's a page on TheSite somewhere. I think. Might go something along the lines of steaming your face then squeezing them out.
  • Options
    The only real effective way is to steam your face then squeeze them out.
  • Options
    Wasn't that just said dumb arse, tuh!

There is also a little spoon like instrument you can purchase in boots, not sure what its called Im afraid but told by a friend it is really effective in getting rid of them.
    Just go in and ask.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Latino diva

There is also a little spoon like instrument you can purchase in boots, not sure what its called Im afraid but told by a friend it is really effective in getting rid of them.
    Just go in and ask.
    nice !!!!
    the spoon like thing is a metal spot squeezer - theyre crap. just a metal thing with a hole in it which does the job your fingernails could do for free.
    exfoiliating, face masks, or occasionally having a good squeezing session are the only tips ive got for you.
  • Options
    I always think that squeezing is a horrible idea. After you get the blackhead out then you are left with a large wide open pore. It can become infected much easier. Often times you are left with a red spot around where it was because of broken capiluaries. I've found that daily, or every other day use of this and this work extreme wonders. They get rid of blackheads and keep your skin clear.
  • Options
    yeah but squeezing is so therapeutic.
  • Options
    Lol rainbow brite I used to be addicted to it as a younger teen! Now I try not to but when they get a bot much theres nowt as satisfying-but I do find those nose strips by various manufacturers almost as satifying-but only if they pull out lots of er gunk!
  • Options
    Oh yeah thats right never repeatr anything anyone else ever says thats not how education works is it
    cock.
    anyways yeah id go with squeezing sessions
    .matt
  • Options
    I use to get black heads on me nose which I tried everything to get rid of them.. bloody spending money on different facial scrubs and strips. Did nowt for me.

Then my sister advsied me to go for a facial were they exfoliate you face with some crap they use (Soz, ain't familiar with all the fancy lotions and scrubs) then they got me to set up as they use this machine to blow steam in my face for 10-20mins. Laid me back and the girl started squeezing and 'OMG' did it hurt. Wee girl was lethal. She was even at a few of me spots on my chin that I tend to get. Was a good thing it was sunny and had me sun glasses with me coz when I left my nose was red as anything then a had red patches round my face were she was bloody squeezing them.

Advantages: she did get rid of most of me black heads -
    Disadvantage: my face broke out in even more spots coz she picked the very few I had in the first place.
  • Options
  • Options
    I use witch hazel gel, and that gets rid of them fine :thumb:
  • Options
    cheers guys :)
    i do generally tend to squeeze them out,but they do leave big open pores like my_name said + they 'fill up' again after a few days anyways. apart from that,it always leaves my nose flaking :confused: i'll try getting a facial when i get money tho :yes:
  • Options
    Personally I mix equal amounts of baking powder and water together, rub it onto the affected area (usually my nose) for about 2 minutes (which loosens the blackheads) - then rinse clear with warm water and cleanse, tone, whatever as usual :) It works for me so maybe it's worth a try...especially since it's likely you'll already having baking powder knocking about at home.

Otherwise you'd be best advised to get an astringent containing witch hazel, or something I've heard is good is the Clean&Clear cleanser which targets blackheads. I can't remember its exact name but "blackhead" is in there somewhere ;) Can't be hard to track down.

Obvious things would also be wearing make up as seldom as possible, always removing it at night if you do wear it, drinking lots of water and not squeezing! It's tempting (and pretty bloody satisfying) but it more often than not just causes other blemishes and break-outs as well as sometimes being painful and causing scarring.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by *TiNK*

fantastic stuff :thumb:
  • Options

Can you feel it, baby?

The anal seepage out of your mouth, of course, not the love :heart:

Now I hate to be nit-picky, but someone who doesn't know that latino and diva are two different genders isn't in a position to call anyone else a dumb arse with any great authority. Unless, of course, you are one of those hermaphrodites I keep reading about in the paper. In which case I wholeheartedly apologise.

Now stop trying to be hard and insult people who are infinitely more intelligent and good-looking, and toddle off and do your homework. Education makes people intelligent, and it looks like you need all the help you can get.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*

what d'ya do with it though? d'ya jus slap it on + leave it there?:confused:
  • Options
    Witch hazel is really good as a couple of people have said above, and espically the little witch sticks yuo can get, that you put directly on the affected area, and it really works well on the odd spots that u get.

For black heads i like to steam my face so your pores are open and squueze them out and then if you put the witch hazel, (the liquidy one on the bottle version) on afterwards it stops the area getting all infected and inflamed.

Thankfully i dont have to many problems with my skin anymore so these work a treat for me.
  • Options
    I have a few blackheads on my nose which have been quite large and I had to squeze them coz they were annoying me but I usually steam my face.