Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age of criminal responsibilty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At present in England & Wales it's ten, but should it be lowered?

Comments

• Options
    Do you think it'd make any diffrerence?
  • Options
    Who the heck asked you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Who the heck asked you?

You did, you posted on a public board, were you expecting no responses? You ask a question you are bound to get a person with a different point of view.

My point is, that if people are arrested at a younger age, the potential cycle of being in and out of young offenders and prison may just start earlier and disrupt education more. Are the police likly to waste their time.
  • Options
    As Fiend has already said, if you don't want people to respond to your views then don't bother to post them here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    what does all of this argui ng mean?:confused:

Which particular point are you confused about?

I question the point of arresting trouble-makers younger, as then you just start the cycle of being in and out of prison earlier, very little changes and you add to disruption in their lives.

Maybe community orders for younger deliquents?
  • Options
    Or military schools.
  • Options
    what does all of this argui ng mean?:confused:

Why don't you learn to spell?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    As Fiend has already said, if you don't want people to respond to your views then don't bother to post them here.

I don't want HER to respond!
  • Options
    I don't want HER to respond!

You can't pick and choose who replies to your threads.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater
    Or military schools.

Military school may help the lack of dicipline, but ordinarily the child would be boarding, I don't think it's right to remove a child from it's family without a very good reason so young.
  • Options
    Why don't you learn to spell?

Why do people pick on Luke for his spelling? It pisses me off when people go blagging each other about that... I mean how many people here have perfect spelling and grammar?

Perhaps some of us have learning difficulties... dyslexia... dyspraxia, hyperlexia or something that affects the way we spell. But why must people lean towards insults and whatnot... especially ones as pointless as how to use and not use the English language.

Anyway Monocrat, you hardly display much prowess in the English language yourself... with your one sentence replies. If you want to criticise on spelling, write an essay on how it's done, not a five word answer to a comment somebody makes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Why do people pick on Luke for his spelling? It pisses me off when people go blagging each other about that... I mean how many people here have perfect spelling and grammar?

Perhaps some of us have learning difficulties... dyslexia... dyspraxia, hyperlexia or something that affects the way we spell. But why must people lean towards insults and whatnot... especially ones as pointless as how to use and not use the English language.

Anyway Monocrat, you hardly display much prowess in the English language yourself... with your one sentence replies. If you want to criticise on spelling, write an essay on how it's done, not a five word answer to a comment somebody makes.

I agree especially as it was not so much an error in spelling as hitting the space bar by mistake.
  • Options

I am trying to combat the problem, it's hard, I may have dyslexia or something like that as my brother has just been comfirmed to having it.

go get tested

Now back to the argument at hand!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Which particular point are you confused about?

I question the point of arresting trouble-makers younger, as then you just start the cycle of being in and out of prison earlier, very little changes and you add to disruption in their lives.

Maybe community orders for younger deliquents?

Discuss.

Also military schools?
  • Options
    thank you very much for that.

I think I do have a spelling problem, or a general problem with English as I have always done good in every other subject except English.

I often get fustrated because I can't spell a certain word or I can't put down on paper and sometimes on this forum what I want to say which then it comes out as gibberlish.

I am trying to combat the problem, it's hard, I may have dyslexia or something like that as my brother has just been comfirmed to having it.

once again thanks for that post means a lot.

No problem... I have dyspraxia which can cause problems with things like that and especially reading. It's hard when people bitch at you for silly things like spelling and whatnot...

if it's any consolation, dyslexics and dyspraxics tend to fall in to the slightly above average to superior range of intelligence... or something (according to my ed psych).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater
    Or military schools.

The military don't want them.

The age of criminal responsibility is too high, it should be 6 or 7.

There isn't very much that can be done about kids who become delinquents so young. Jail 'em and they learn the tricks of the trade; don't jail 'em and they just laugh at you. Making them clean public bogs with toothbrushes might be a good way of doing it, but then if you humiliate them too far they get angry and rebel even further.

Far greater minds than my own have failed to come up with a compromise. I think that, sadly, in many cases the delinquents are beyond redemtpion- we just need to make sure that their children do not become the same.

As a general rule the easiest way to curb delinquency is to be socially inclusive and socially ambitious. Ambition and a sense of belonging stop people destroying communities; no hope, no prospects, and no way of joining society at a meaningful level make people destroy things as they haven't got anything to lose.

Be buggered if I know how to do it though. Schemes like Sure Start are a start, but they only appeal to the parents who give a shit. And a lot don't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    No problem... I have dyspraxia which can cause problems with things like that and especially reading. It's hard when people bitch at you for silly things like spelling and whatnot...

if it's any consolation, dyslexics and dyspraxics tend to fall in to the slightly above average to superior range of intelligence... or something (according to my ed psych).

That's true. They have to be otherwise how would they perform at an average level?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Schemes like Sure Start are a start, but they only appeal to the parents who give a shit. And a lot don't.
    I think there is a huge problem with parents who don't give a shit. If they won't discipline their children, who will?

Yesterday I saw a parent use the f-word to one of her children. What kind of example is that setting the child?

Teacher to kid: "Don't swear"

Kid to teacher: "My mummy lets me swear at home."

How do you cope with that?

It puts the kid on a slippery slope. First its bad language, then vandalism, drug-taking and theft. If the parents let the kids get away with it, then no amount of disciplining by teachers/social workers/Policemen is going to stop them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    I think there is a huge problem with parents who don't give a shit. If they won't discipline their children, who will?

Yesterday I saw a parent use the f-word to one of her children. What kind of example is that setting the child?

Teacher to kid: "Don't swear"

Kid to teacher: "My mummy lets me swear at home."

How do you cope with that?

It puts the kid on a slippery slope. First its bad language, then vandalism, drug-taking and theft. If the parents let the kids get away with it, then no amount of disciplining by teachers/social workers/Policemen is going to stop them.

I agree, how is it, that one person in a set environment ie same school same neighbourhood, can grow up to do one thing, and another child, of similar ability, can grow up to do another. The parents are the variable factor.

I read in the telegraph some time last year how teenagers and now more conservative than their parents and while they may have done rebellious things at the age of 17/18 were forming the ideas that their parents shunned in the 60s and 70s.

Sign of social cycle?
  • Options
    How do you punish a 7 year old though? It's very difficult to pull off without making more problems.

Community punishment may work, perhaps get them to work with the litter pickers or something?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    How do you punish a 7 year old though? It's very difficult to pull off without making more problems.

Community punishment may work, perhaps get them to work with the litter pickers or something?

On the basis that the worst a 7 year old would really be doing is mindless vandalism, making them clear it up would probably be the best response.
  • Options
    give em some bleach and rubber gloves. like it.