Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Confidentiality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to make an appointment with my doctor about something personal and private. How do you make an appointment? I know it sounds stupid, but what do you say? I can't say "Hi, I'd like make an appointment with Dr. ____ because I've been _______" because my mums friends with the receptionists and the woman in the dispensary and generally spends all her time there and I need this to be something she never finds out about. Also getting prescriptions, how can I keep this confidential, so she can't pick mine up, because she always just picks up my brothers and stuff. Is it going to be too difficult to go without her finding out? I can't risk someone saying "Oh you're daughter was in the other day" I know this sounds really petty and stupid but I don't know how to approach it. Could I register with another surgery privately and still be the family one? How do these things work? Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Don't tell the receptionist what the matter is, just ask to make an appointment with a doctor. The doctor cannot breach patrient confidentiality, and medical administrators cannot breach the confidentiality of medical records.

Tell them that you want to collect the prescription, or just do it as you leave after your doctor's appointment.

You cannot be registered with two general practitioners.

If the problem is sexual you could visit the local Family Planning Clinic, however.
  • Options
    if they ask say u have a bit of an itchy scalp or sore throat or even back ache. I doubt she would ask you though. You can then save the real reaon for the Dr.
    Or if you dont like lying say you have thrush, thats something personal etc and just as soon as u get ur prescription fetch it yourself.
  • Options
    No, Kermit its the self-harming stuff, i've decided to grow the fuck up and sort myself out. I just wasn't sure, coz I'm not 18 whether they would tell my parents. If they do it'll take me back to square one. S'long as they'll keep it confedential then I'm gonna get my friend for moral support and go. And hope to hell she doesn't see the prescription , coz it'll be a repeat one, thats what i'm worried about.:) thanks
  • Options
    As long as you are old enough to understand properly, they are not allowed to tell your parents. So in theory, they couldn't say anything, even if you were only 5.

The receptionist shouldn't even really ask you why you want the appointment. If they do, then just say you'd rather discuss it with the doctor.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    As long as you are old enough to understand properly, they are not allowed to tell your parents. So in theory, they couldn't say anything, even if you were only 5.

The receptionist shouldn't even really ask you why you want the appointment. If they do, then just say you'd rather discuss it with the doctor.

Ok thats made me a little less scared. I might tell my mum I need to go coz I've been getting really bad period pains, and book the appointment as that and "other stuff" then bring it up then. I'm still scared though:banghead:
  • Options
    Yeah, do that. I doubt you'll be asked, seriously. Make it clear to the doctor that you don't want your parents to find out but my GP told me once that even if Mum asked why she'd seen me leaving the surgery on whichever day, he couldn't tell her whether I'd been there or not, so don't worry.

And by the way, it's a big scary step to talk to someone about it, so well done for making the decision.
  • Options
    Yeh I'm terrified. But I can't see this turning out well unless I go. It's got to the stage where my friends have helped all they can, as have my teachers, and now I just need to help myself.
  • Options
    Your doctor will be fine about it hon, or at least he or she should be. IF they aren;'t find a new doctor, or go to a drop-in clinic in town.

I presume you are in a rural practise, just ask the doctor if you could have the slip now for later. You don;'t have to get the presciption from the practise dispensary, you can go to any pharmacist and get it.
  • Options
    Your doctor will be fine about it hon, or at least he or she should be. IF they aren;'t find a new doctor, or go to a drop-in clinic in town.

I presume you are in a rural practise, just ask the doctor if you could have the slip now for later. You don;'t have to get the presciption from the practise dispensary, you can go to any pharmacist and get it.

Yeh it's exactly that. No drop-in clinic and rural practice. I'll do that with the prescription though. And tell them if they're gonna post it, put it in a damned envelope (they just send the pieces of paper with your name, address, and medication straight to your house :|)
  • Options
    Ask for the prescription slip from your doctor, he'll print it out for you.

There'd be a drop-in clinic in the nearest big town.
  • Options

There'd be a drop-in clinic in the nearest big town.
    my nearest must be cambridge, might have to go there. god im such a wimp.
  • Options
    You dont have to say anything to her you just phone up and say you want an appointment with your doctor. Its nothing to do with anyone else.