Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Young people are unable to be independent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Then there'd be no worry about paying your your kids' education, because it'd be sorted (providing that they can afford to live properly on the loan).

My parents didn't worry about it - they told me I'd have to pay any fees myself because even though the govt. told them to pay at least 50% of the fees each time, in reality they couldn't afford that at all. I think my mum bought me a top up voucher for my phone the whole time I was at uni (which was 18 months).

I live with my parents. But I pay them board money. I don't do my own washing but I do just about everything else for myself including ironing and cooking most of the time. I'm quite independent. I have credit and store cards that I pay and I don't rely on them to pay for anything for me. In actual fact they borrow money off me more than I do from them!

The one thing that worries me though is moving out. Unless I meet a man with no debt and a large wage then I'm unlikely to go anywhere as all of my wages are now accounted for now I've bought a car. I suppose it is difficult these days for young people to move out and start their own families etc. That is the one level of independence I'm unlikely to have for a while!
  • Options
    At my school in Yr 13 you are given a lecture a week on current issues. One was (and I applaud my school for this) a talk on financial management.

We were told that we are the generation that will inherrit nothing, our parents all retired young and spent their savings, and our children won't be able to move out until they've spent all of what we may have amassed.

This headline comes, sadly, as no surprise to me.
  • Options
    the amount you pay back student loan wise per month isnt that bad

and yes its going to be hard to do, but many people are still managing to do what we need to do
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    the amount you pay back student loan wise per month isnt that bad

No, but that's not the point.

Students before 1998 didn't have to pay anything.

SWtill, this is what happens when you vote for New Labour. Students who voted New labour deserve everything they get; it's just annoying we have to suffer the corrupt megalomaniacs as well.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I think the biggest concern is the ratio of old people to tax payers, in ten years time there is going to be just too many of them to support. But we cant just let them starve, well we could.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I think the biggest concern is the ratio of old people to tax payers, in ten years time there is going to be just too many of them to support. But we cant just let them starve, well we could.

That's certainly a large problem, that will get steadily larger.

Now that the population are living longer, either they will have to work longer, or live on less.

What frustrates me is the way fees/loans/top-up is calculated. It's all based on parental income and totally regardless of how much the Student has saved up. Top-up for example, the amount you pay is based on what your parents earn, not on how much you yourself are project to earn upon graduation, especially considering that top-up fees are supposed to be held until graduation.
  • Options
    I don't think loans themselves are unreasonable, but they should be enough to live on by themselves. I shouldn't have had to run up over £3000 of debt on credit cards and overdrafts just in order to live (and we haven't lived well, it's been value chopped tomatoes and a "bender" for me has been five pints of the ale).

I disagree with tuition fees, however, I've had to pay the full amount because dad has worked his arse off to supplement his basic wage of £21,900pa. If the overtime had dried up we'd have been screwed.
  • Options
    My tutor at school told us that they were better off when she went to uni after her mum quit her job because of the way the fees worked out. Now that's bloody silly.