Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

car emissions and petrol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3554516.stm

what do you think

personally i think that people who use veichles with larger engines should pay stupid amounts extra on their road tax

increasing petrol duty is just regressive as it punishes poorer people whilst richer people will be able to continue to afford it

and tractors etc should be exempt as not to punish farmers etc who need large powered veichles

Comments

• Options
    I don't mind but I would be more impressed if I could see where the money was going. I would be more impressed if the government stuck to it's election promises on the environment.
  • Options
    i dont mind people using cars, it just makes people more considerate on what sort of car they buy
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    I just think those mental huge cars are completely unnecessary.

Can you give me an example of the engine size you mean?
  • Options
    There is very little justification for owning a Chelsea Tractor (a.k.a. 4 x 4). Some 90% of them never leave the road and are just used for the short trip the Sloanes make from Chelsea Harbour to the Conran Shop.

These are extremely inefficient, gas-guzzling, unfriendly monsters with ludicrously big engines (4 to 6 litres usually), and about the most dangerous vehicle for pedestrians in case of collision.

I don't know if the solution would be higher duty on petrol, a special tax on certain type of vehicles, or something else. But those who insist on driving those stupid pointless inefficient machines for pleasure trips round clogged cities should be made to pay for it- in a big way.
  • Options
    perhaps a ban on such vehicles, or the need for a special licence to drive them in a city would work.
  • Options
  • Options
    In regards to original post, all car tax, petrol tax, road tax and any tax to do with motoring should be scrapped and roads should be privatised.

When people have to pay a company a toll to use thier roads people will bepaying by the mile. This will cut all the unequity of road and petrol tax and make people economise thier journeys as paying by the mile will be expensive.

Only then will we have decent quality roads that are looked after properly and only then will this cut congestion and the number of people using the roads.

Besides, who wants thier tax money paying for some other sucker's road?
  • Options
    I think this idea could also help discourage people from using these large cars (i may think they are twats for having pointless SUVs but i wouldnt be a fascist and go as far as saying they should be banned or taxed to fuckery) If companies running toll roads classified cars to different prices they charge, ie to the damage they cause the road, space they take up etc then this could further discourage thier use. Taxing is not a quick or easy solution, just a good way of pissing off larger amounts of people.
  • Options
    i say just increase road tax on those cars loads, then regular people who dont feel the need to drive a 5L car wont be penalised whilst those who do are

its the only way of cutting car emissions i sa
  • Options
    But those people who arn't using the 5L cars arn't paying enough per mile either, hence busy and conjested roads. I mean, you dont see a whole load of SUVs blocking the roads up do you? No, it is normal and small cars.
  • Options
    I'm all for bumping up petrol prices. We're killing the planet all too fast.
  • Options
    4 X 4s arent just dangerous for pedestrians, but for the car user too.

for example, at 40mph, if they are following behind a car that suddenly brakes, and they swerve to avoid the car, quite a few 4x4s would roll...
  • Options
    This is a tough one. Personally I would like to see the Road Tax scrapped and petrol taxes increased so that the users of large engined cars are mande to pay for the amount of damage caused to the environment.

That said, I live in a rural community and have little choice but to use my car, so I would actually be paying more for the priviledge.

Whatever though, I still think that serious steps should be taken with regards engine size, pollution etc, even if it is unpopular. Sadly though there are very few votes to be won but many which could be lost so don't expect any Govt to act yet...
  • Options
    Everyone misses the point- it isn't to "protect the environment", it's to maximise revenue.

If the government gave a flying fuck about the environment then the people of Llanelli wouldn't have had their cars confiscated for using vegetable oil in their petrol tank.

All things like this do is make the poor poorer and give the rich more room on the roads. The poor get twatted, eitehr in car prices or extortionate bus fares (example, £3 return to go four miles from Dalston to Carlisle in Cumbria), and the rich just sail on by. The people in rural communities get twatted as there isn't even a bus (however grotesquely overpriced) to use instead.

As with everything the Scottish cunts destroying this country come up with, it kicks the poor into the gutter and helps the rich shit on everyone else that little bit more.
  • Options
    thats why id like like to see extortionate road tax rates on less efficient cars

removing most fuel duty on bio fuel and not increasing petrol

only the people who want to own giant engine carswil get punished, and id say industry who uses them for a purpose ie tractors shuld b exmpt

also id like to see a fuel duty on aviation fuel, its stupid how there isnt any!
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    In regards to original post, all car tax, petrol tax, road tax and any tax to do with motoring should be scrapped and roads should be privatised.

When people have to pay a company a toll to use thier roads people will bepaying by the mile. This will cut all the unequity of road and petrol tax and make people economise thier journeys as paying by the mile will be expensive.

Only then will we have decent quality roads that are looked after properly and only then will this cut congestion and the number of people using the roads.

Besides, who wants thier tax money paying for some other sucker's road?

Worked really well with the railways didn't it? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    And they worked when nationalised? Hah.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Everyone misses the point- it isn't to "protect the environment", it's to maximise revenue.

If the government gave a flying fuck about the environment then the people of Llanelli wouldn't have had their cars confiscated for using vegetable oil in their petrol tank.

I agree. The Environmental Audit Committee revealed the following yesterday:
    The report shows that the Government is unlikely to reach its own target for cutting carbon dioxide by 20 per cent (based on 1990 levels) by 2010. Carbon dioxide emissions have risen slightly since Labour came to power in 1997

Hmm. I'm all for paying for the environment, but the problem is the money isn't being used for what they claim it it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    And they worked when nationalised? Hah.

Better than they do now, yes.