Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Two British men join al-Sadr’s army in Iraq to fight US troops

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-1211168_1,00.html

Both men were born in Iraq though they are British in nationality apparently.

They claim to have gone to Iraq to fight a foreign invader.

For as long as they don't engage British soldiers, should they be a concern to the British government at all?

If they did end up engaging British soldiers things would complicate greatly though...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    would it be friendly fire?

seriously, I don't know, probably the americans will get to them first...
  • Options
    If they are British citizens they should lose their citizenship...If the Americans catch them alive - Gitmo. If British troops catch them - try them for treason.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    If the Americans catch them alive - Gitmo.
    Why?

Who is the illegal foreign invader here?

Why should those be men sent to an illegal concentration and torture camp that is in direct contravention of every legislation and law in the world?

Why should the US think it gets to decide who is a lawful or unlawful combatant? I think that if there were such a thing as unlawful combatants, US soldiers would be the prime candidates for it.

As for them losing their citizenship or being tried for treason, as long as they don't engage British troops I don't think they've done anything illegal... :confused:
  • Options
    isnt fighting for a foriegn army illegal under uk law
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo

i think you might have to re-phrase that, otherwise being an American soldier is illegal under uk law
  • Options
    I don't think so... anyone can be a mercenary with any fighting force around, and I've heard of a few people who've joined the French Foreign Legion.

In this particular case, this is just Iraqi Resistance fighting an illegal invader and occupier.

The US can't possibly justify deporting them anywhere... then again the current government of that nation seems to have lost all regard for international law and human rights...
  • Options

I think fighting against the British army when you hold citizenship is illiegal and counts as treason... But don't hold me to it.
  • Options
    As far as I am aware, fighting against the British Army when you are British is treason.

Now if Iraq was so fucking wonderful why were they in Briatin anyway?

Try them for treason, or give them to the Yanks and put them in Camp X-Ray.
  • Options
    They're not fighting against the British Army are they?

So much as Tony Blair and many right wingers would like it, Britain is not a US state or province.
  • Options
    No Luke they haven't committed treason.

But even if they did something that was considered treason, they should be dealt with by the British justice system.

I can't believe you would advocate sending British citizens, however hineous you might think their crimes might be, to an illegal torture camp managed by a third party that has nothing to do with this country.

Speaking of Guantanamo, since many of the 650+ hostages there are Afghans whose only crime was to defend their government and country against a foreign invader, how can you justify the US kidnapping them and sending them there? Whatever they might be, they sure as hell ain't traitors!
  • Options
    luke i think aladins trying to say, that if they attack british troops they probably are commiting treason

but

WHY SEND THEM TO A US PRISON CAMP!?

treat em like crap here ;p
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    what? in the Uk? You aint serious?

why...? so we can let them out in the weekends and let them buy lotto tickets and christ knows what else.

You're so open to ideas Luke, it warms the heart to read!

:banghead:

Lets not forget that if a person is convicted of high treason they can still be hanged in this country. But I think that if these people were caught activly engaging British Armed forces or for that matter British nationals, the worst is simply treason, or murder.

If they are sensible they should contact the embassy to find out on the official legal status. But lets face it, they're helping to tear that poor country apart, where does sensible come into it?
  • Options
    Don't avoid the question Luke.

You were saying how they should be sent to Gitmo. We have asked you how could you possibly justify sending British citizens to a country thousands of miles away to be imprisoned by another nation.

Answer the question please.
  • Options
    If we capture them then they should die in an "accident".

Traitors
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    You're so open to ideas Luke, it warms the heart to read!

:banghead:

Lets not forget that if a person is convicted of high treason they can still be hanged in this country.

High Treason is when you kill the monarch isn't it?
  • Options
    but what i am trying to say is... if they are sent to the Uk... they ahve laffing, we are TOO soft. Gitmo as you call it, isn't, they don't deserve out osft touch.

I have lost faith in the Uk justice system... most Brits have too!

funny thing is.... see how they are wearing them rags over their heads.... if they survive they have a home abck in the Uk still then. arghh... I'd get the government to hunt these down.
    So you advocate illegal torture now as form of punishment?

Are you sure you're living in the right country mate? I think you'd have been happier in the company of Saddam or the Taliban. They agree with you with regard to what should be done to prisoners.

Hold on a second... isn't that why we went there and "liberated" them in the first place?
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    If you think the British justice system, with its inhuman filthy prisons, inadecuate facilities and the highest prison population in Europe is soft then you're far more deluded than I had thought possible.

You don't appear to be much better than Saddam Hussein mate.
  • Options
    Er... let me think about it.

Saddam believes in torture
    You believe in torture

Saddam did not show any regard for human rights
    You don't show any regard for human rights

Yes Luke, I have no option but to be serious about that statement.

The last vestiges of an argument (if there ever was one) in favour of waging the illegal war on Iraq have now evaporated. The place is in a worse mess than it was under Saddam, there were no WMDs, no threat to others, and now it turns out that we the "liberators" are up the same tricks Hussein was.

I'm not surprised in the least that those two people have put aside any thoughts of "treason" against their government (i.e. the clueless poodle known as Tony Blair) and done what they feel it's right: namely fight to liberate their country of birth against a foreign and illegal invader who contrary to what it claims has no regard for human rights, freedom or the well-being of the Iraqi people.

One man's traitor, another man's brave freedom fighter.
  • Options
    if they kill any other of the forces then I think they should face death, as they are going against us in away still.

why are you guys... well it seems to me that your always protecting the bad side of things.... like that rapist... you justifly it well, now this too.

Please learn to read. I justified nothing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    High Treason is when you kill the monarch isn't it?

Or attempt too yes.
  • Options
    Anyway, the British government has now warned of the fate that awaits such people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Anyway, the British government has now warned of the fate that awaits such people.

Well, no shit sherlock. Wasn't that what we already agreed?
  • Options
    I feel thats the way you say it.

Isn't that often the case?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Well, no shit sherlock. Wasn't that what we already agreed?
    I must say I'm rather unhappy at the government playing judge, jury and executioner and showing little regard for what the law might or might not say- yet again- simply to please our American masters.

I would be extemely interested to see what a barrister would make of the government attempting to charge a British citizen with treason for fighting American troops in another continent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I must say I'm rather unhappy at the government playing judge, jury and executioner and showing little regard for what the law might or might not say- yet again- simply to please our American masters.

I would be extemely interested to see what a barrister would make of the government attempting to charge a British citizen with treason for fighting American troops in another continent.

Technically they are fighting against the british government, that's treason, it's the same continent as well, so try not to get too over excited.