Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I just have a few questions about universities and applying and what not, I don't have any elder siblings or relations that went to university so I have no one to ask. I can wait till school starts but I'm curious now.

1) When you apply to university do you do it through the schools/sixth form/college or on your own accord?

2) Can you apply to more than one university?

3) Are there any websites that anyone know's of that have questionnaires which help narrow down what kind of course one would be best suited to doing?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Questions
    Originally posted by hybrid
    I just have a few questions about universities and applying and what not, I don't have any elder siblings or relations that went to university so I have no one to ask. I can wait till school starts but I'm curious now.

1) When you apply to university do you do it through the schools/sixth form/college or on your own accord?

Usually, you apply through your school or college. My school provided the ucas application programme on the computers so we could enter our details and personal statements, and then the school delt with sending it all off
    2) Can you apply to more than one university?

You can apply to up to 6 universities, but only 4 for subjects like medicine
  • Options
    Most of this stuff can be found on the UCAS website.

The Stamford Test identifies the sorts of subjects you might be interested in - just gives you a starting point.

You can apply on your own, I think but most people apply with the full support of their school/college. You need their support for references, help with personal statements, etc., I'd suggest you talk to your UCAS advisor or head of 6th form and see what the setup is.

You can apply to up to 6 courses (only 4 of which can be medecine, if that's your area of interest) at as many universities as you like. As I said, the best place to look is the UCAS web site.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Thank you for the replies =)

In reference to being able to apply to 6 Universities is it ever possible to be rejected by all of them? Or is one of the universities obliged to take you no matter what your results are?
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    Thank you for the replies =)

In reference to being able to apply to 6 Universities is it ever possible to be rejected by all of them? Or is one of the universities obliged to take you no matter what your results are?

Yes, it's very possible to be rejected by all of them.
    Look at what grades the normal offer requires - only apply to one/two that are way out of your league. Also consider applying to one that you'd be prepared to go to if your results turned out badly.
  • Options
    You can apply to up to six unis through the UCAS scheme.
    If all six unis reject you, or you decide you want to change your mind on what course you want to do, then you go through the UCAS extra scheme (as i have done) and you get to apply to one uni at a time until you get an offer into one, if you accpet the offer back, then you cant try for a place at any other unis. If you dont accept it then you apply to somewhere else. If by the time results coem out, you still haven't been offered a place then you go through the UCAS clearing system.
    Normally your school or college will assist you through the uni application stage. Piccolo's post gives some useful links :)
  • Options
    You appl;y throughs chool or college, you apply for six universities.

All six can accept you, or all six can reject you. Or any ratio in between.

Otehrwise everyone would just apply to teh top 6 universities :lol: