Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ok...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First post in here like ever and i'm gonna try and cram a lot of writing into a couple of basic points because this forum scares me.

Firstly, I want to start wearing more decent clothes. Most of the stuff i buy is either jokey stuff like t shirts with witty things on them or cheap jeans etc. How do i figure out what sort of style of clothes to go with? i've never really been in any kind of fashion - never was a "mosher" or "townie" etc. I look at clothes and i have to tell other people to tell me what to get as i have no opinion on them.

Also, i have a few spots on my face i want to get rid of before college. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get rid of them but can't find anything decent. Any ideas?

Oh, and my hair. I have very thick hair, so all i can do with it really is gel it or have a shower first thing in the morning because when it clumps together you're not gonna comb it down any time soon.

Cheers you lot.

Comments

• Options
    get your girlfirend/close female friend to take you shopping + find out what suits you,what you like,what look you wanna go for. try topman,all the guys that shop in there r HOT! even if you just go in + look at what the other men r wearing,it'll be usefull!

try OXY or something for your skin,but not clearasil cos i find that doesn't really work all too well (apart from the blackhead clearing stuff,its great). or you'no,if you care about the enviroment + such,try body shop,they're stuffs great too.quite gentle tho,oxy gets results,fast.

for your hair,why dont you just get a decent hair cut in a hairdressers,instead of a barber?they'll be able to thin your hair so its a lot easier to work with.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *chris'_bitch*
    if you care about the enviroment + such,try body shop,they're stuffs great too.

if you care about animals, don't buy from the body shop.

if you only have a few spots, drinking lots of water and washing your face carefully goes a long way. if they're a bit nastier, you can see the doctor for industrial strength stuff, or chat up the pharmacist to see what they can offer.

as for clothes, it sounds like your style is just growing up. you don't have to hurl yourself headlong into the latest trend. start out simple.

loose, but well-cut jeans, a plain short sleeved shirt and a subtle pair of skate shoes looks great, and you won't look too twatty to ride your bike. cause you know if you get your hair all tony and guy'd you'll be laughed all the way out of halfords.

once you're comfy with that, add details. look at other guys in the street and see how they put things together, and see what kind of styles you like. a bit at a time, you know. worst thing you can do is one day dress head to toe in a totally different style to your old one. you'll feel uncomfortable, and people will laugh.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think that's very wise advice Kaffrin, I agree. :yes:
  • Options
    they bite their little heids off, then poo them out.
  • Options
    they buy products from companies known to test on animals.

that's why it says 'against animal testing' and not 'not tested on animals'.
  • Options
    yeah, and that.
  • Options
    Like Kaff said, the more gradual the better. Changing your style drastically from head to toe over night is only gonna make you look and feel pretty stupid. Have a look around at what you think people look good in, and how they've added or customised certain things to suit them - it may give you an idea of how to wear stuff. I'd again agree with kaff about just buying a decent pair of loose, bootcut faded jeans, a nice t-shirt, and some good trainers. That kinda thing will look basic, but good. You don't exactly wanna turn into a trendy-retro dude over night or anything. Most importantly though, buy something you're comfortable in. If you look and feel awkward in what you're wearing, people will notice.

As for the spots, drinking water and daily cleansing will always help. Aside from that and stuff like 'Clearasil', Teatree oil is very good for spots, it's a natural anti-septic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bacon
    have u got any sources for that wild accusation?

http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/94/8/body_shop.html

http://www.ivu.org/faq/products.html

http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/companies/bs_ref.html

http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=322
    During 1989, The Body Shop switched from "not tested on animals" to "against animal testing" labeling after a lawsuit by the German government.

http://www.ebra.org/bulletin/oct03_96.html
    The Body Shop, an early player in the “cruelty free” product business, until recently used ingredients tested on animals as long as the tests were done more than five years earlier.
    A rolling 5-year rule means that you don't use ingredients tested in the last five years. But it also means that, in theory, you could commission some animal testing now and, in five years time, it would be 'cruelty-free'.

i can go on....
  • Options
    Some good advice here.... i myself wanted to change the type of clothes i worn.... just go round the shops and look at what others are wearing and it will come to you.
    I used to go for the whole plain jeans and plain t shirt..... very dull but gradually i've gained a look which i think suits me.... oh and i can dress smartly but casually and not feel embarassed.

Whatever you think looks nice.... try it wont hurt... and dont dismiss a shop from the clothes shown in the display.... even in the shops you least expect there may be clothes you would suit.
  • Options
    Re: Ok...
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Oh, and my hair.
    do you still have a gelled-down fringe? :(
  • Options
    a blob of toothpaste overnight kills spots. seriously.
  • Options
    Doe anyone remember the "magic cream" your mum put on you when you scraped your knee as a kid? Its called Sudocrem, its available at any pharmisist or your local branch of wilkinsons styleshop and as stupid as it sounds it works wonders for spots. I used to get horrific spots and this stuff has really helped. Just whack it right on there...cover yourself in the stuff, use it every night for like a fortnight and i bet you see a good improvement.

As for your "style", just take a look around dude.....see something that tweaks your interest? Go with it! Simple as pie.

Peace
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    they bite their little heids off, then poo them out.

LMAO. :heart:
  • Options
    Right, Doof. First thing, get rid of the ned hair, k? :(

Aye, just go get a pair of nice, fitted (But not early 80's Metallica-tight) pair of faded jeans. Then go into places like USC, River Island and Topman and just have a look at t-shirts. You'll find something that tickles your pickle.
  • Options
    Don't go with the plain short sleeved shirt idea. The only people your age I've seen wearing them are neds trying to get dressed up to go under 18's clubs.

Hardly anyone wears shirts for kicking about during the day anyway - it looks stupid.

Go for a pair of faded, light blue (not the regular denim colour) jeans. Not a baggy pair. Or a pair of dark blue (almsot black looking from a distance, but not like those horrible black Levis' from years ago) with faded bits on.

Go for a pair of white trainers. Black/navy/dark grey skate shoes look stupid. Brilliant white Rebok classics etc. look stupid. Steer clear of sports' trainers. Try places like Schuch and Office for a decent pair.

Urban Outfitters and smaller chain stores like Cecil Gee have a great range of fashionable, yet affordable, tshirts - alot of them keeping with the witty/funny slogans style you're used to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Go for a pair of white trainers.

:eek2:

white trainers come in two styles:

ladies and prison.
  • Options
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    Doe anyone remember the "magic cream" your mum put on you when you scraped your knee as a kid? Its called Sudocrem,
    My mum never told me it was magic cream. She told me it was sudocrem.
  • Options
    Cheers you lot, although the one thing i'd have to change drastically overnight would be my hair... can't exactly slowly do something with my hair :p

I can't think of anything to do with it except spike it up, but its probably too thick for that.
  • Options
    We get guys of about 16 coming into where I work (River Island) all the time - kinda the first time they've really taken an interest in fashion etc. Talk to the staff, they can usually show you posters or magazines with their stuff in them and can complete an outfit for you pretty swift. Make sure you point out that you want a lot of stuff that you can mix and match because if you end up with a certain "look", you'll be stuck wearing the same thing over and over again.

My recommendation?

Go to RI/Next/Burtons and buy one pair of normal jeans in a dark wash, and one pair of ripped or scuffed jeans in a light wash. Buy 2-3 t-shirts with designs on the front from the same place (ask the staff to recommend - they know what sells). Also consider getting a casual jacket which goes well with these outfits (again, ask the staff). While in these stores, take a good look at accessories such as belts.

Then, go to primark/h&m and buy plain t-shirts in whatever colours you like for £2-3 each. No point in paying lots for them. Also look round for accessories which are very similar to those you saw in the more expensive shops - you can usually pick them up for about 1/3 of the price (and they go out of fashion quick so you don't wanna pay a lot).

Finally, pick a pair of brownish smart trainers - they're smart enough to wear to a club on a smart evening and look trendier than white sneakers.

Once you've got that lot, you've got the basics of a good, high fashion wardrobe which won't go out of date too soon.

Hint: ask random strangers whether they think an outfit suits you - they're more likely to be prepared to offend you by telling you you look like a...