Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

obesity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
there one on this already, but from watching tv on itv, i think they giving out the wrong message

they fail to mention that this is emrgency treatment like giving the whole family a hardcore exercise routine and changing their diets comepltly

surely though its all about the entire lifestyle of today, people want everything instantly, and something for nothing etc etc

i dont know what im going on about no it jsut a stupid rant, but they make the problems causing it seem simple

Comments

• Options
    Aye... saw a program and it showed how much processed meat this family eat... I mean sweet moses! Why can't the parents at least try and make an effort to feed them healthy food?
  • Options
    supermarkets processed food is dirt cheap and most people shop there

however if you compared fresh ingredients like fruit and veg, from markets it so much cheaper than supermarkets, everyone just been brainwashedinto thinking theyre cheap

organic food from small shops is also super cheap compared to supermarkets
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Aye... saw a program and it showed how much processed meat this family eat... I mean sweet moses! Why can't the parents at least try and make an effort to feed them healthy food?

Was that "You Are What You Eat" with that nazi Dr Gillian McKeith? They had all this processed value luncheon meat, turkey roll etc that I wouldn't see fit to give my dog!

The emergency treatment shouldn't be necessary...a little goes a long way and balance is the key are two cliches I can spout off the top of my head which apply to this.

This thread is pretty similar to the way the conversation turned on the "Fat Kids" thread...where there was a lot of debate(ish) about fatty, processed foods being cheaper and less hassle. I've tried to rubbish this before in conversation with family and especially work colleagues, and get scolded for hating fat people and being unsypmathetic to people with kids etc who don't have the time (and the energy!) to prepare fresh meals. I appreciate it's a hectic life, and most people can't be arsed chopping veg, making sauces etc...but I think it's important to see the time spent doing this as an investment in your body and your health. I really don't agree with the fact that frozen and packaged foods are cheaper though...fruit and vegetables are unbelievably cheap, where I live anyway, and I think both our local supermarket and the local fruit and veg shop (which I try to always go to, supporting the small businesses :p ) are really reasonably priced.

The problem is, a lot of people genuinely prefer "unhealthy" food...even when I've cooked for friends and fam, and they haven't had to lift a finger, they've said "I'd have preferred a nice greasy fry-up". They're aware of the benefits of healthy eating and don't care, so I just leave them alone. No point in preaching at people who aren't interested. I also think the fact that I'm a vegetarian makes me eat more healthily (although I do know veggies who have atrocious diets too).

I'm not worried by the slightly overweight people, it's most of the population afterall and I don't think there's owt wrong with it...but you see some hugely fat people around and I do wonder if they're unhappy, or if they're not bothered.

Anyway, someone will probably come along soon and rubbish this all, just my opinion :)