Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cord thingies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ya know the cord that is connected to the screan bit of the computer and it goes and hooks up into the other bit, and it has like little needle looking things in the rectangular thingy that connects it... anyways, if you know what i'm talking about, what happens if one of the needle thingies break off? cuz one of mine did and about the same time stuff started going wrong with my computer, like when i go to open up folders they don't even open and stuff. and also how can you get a new one, cuz its all connected to the screan thingy so do i just have to buy a new one of those or what? its only like 6 months old and stuff the computer is.

Comments

• Options
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you mean that one of the 'pins' in the monitor 'plug' has snapped off.

If this is the case, does this lead plug into the back of the monitor or is it fitted into the back?

If it plugs in, you can just buy a new cable from dabs or aria, but if it's fitted, you're looking at either a repair centre to change the cable, or a new monitor (which is usually cheaper!).

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    yes, that is exatly what i'm talking about :thumb: its fitted into the moniter i know that. do you think that the problem i'm having (that being like folders not opening and i havn't even bothered to see what else is wrong) could be caused by that? and i'm hoping that the warrenty will cover that damage. and thanks :)
  • Options
    Broken pins should only screw up the monitor. I had one once where a pin broke and the picture just turned purple!

Sounds like your pc is pretty screwed up as well. Perhaps a virus or some corruption on the hard drive. What version of Windows (assuming its Windows) are you running?
  • Options
    Have you been moving your computer recently, and unplugging the monitor. Sounds like you may have been a bit clumsy plugging it in, and if it's accidental damage, then you wouldn't be able to claim under warranty. :( Doesn't mean you couldn't try to claim though. :)
    When I've bent pins before, it's usually been my clumsyness. But I've been lucky enough to be able to straighten them out again. When a pin's bent, it drives the screen crazy, flickering and weird colours. But it's never affected the actual computer. Unless there's some sort of short that's causing problems with the video card, and therefore glitching the system. Anyway, it's too hard to tell without looking at the computer, and trying another monitor on it.

If the whole cable isn't removable (ie can be unplugged at both the computer and monitor end), a repair shop should be able to put on a new connector for you.