Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Furious!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Ive been doing sleeper shifts a the old peoples home for the past month. I'd managed to get away with not being needed during the night every night till last night.
Annie fell over when she was in the loo. She wasnt hurt and she'd shuffled across to the other side of the room to press the buzzer. Why there isnt a buzzer in the loo as well god only knows. I heard her fall cos the staff room is next to her so i was in there with in 5 mins of her falling ( it didnt click that someone had fallen i just thought it was the night shift working banging doors again) I asked if she was ok, turned off the buzzer, put a pillow behind her back and told her to lean against the bed till I has come back with help.

When I got the night shift worker, first off she said that the buzzer haddent gone off so it couldnt have been on in the first place like she was trying to make me out to be a lier.
Then when we got back to Annie instead of being nice and calming (and also having consideration for the other residents sleeping) she was loud and rude. Saying stuff like "Where are you going?" "what are you doing on the floor?" "Get up"

Heres me trying to calm annie down and all shes doing is winding her right up agian!

Then instead of movin things out the way to help her up she got hold of annies feet and squeezed them past a dresser, bashing her right foot as she did it.
I then moved the bed myself to make room for me so I could hold her arm in the correct way to lift her up.
That was then the NS worker got the frame, grabed annies hands and kinda streached them to the top and told annie to pull her self up! I mean FFS Annie can just about walk she cant bloody pull her own weight up and plus she has almost no use of her hands anymore.
I told the NS worker that we should get the hoist and she said no. I was very surprised at this, because I am being constantly told that if the resident is particulary hevy then we should use the hoist.
Then I though, ok we'll just lift her up, as theres two of us it should be ok.
I bent down (with my knees not my back) put my arm under hers and held her hand. So her arm was in a kind of a brace and she would she steady when I lifted (the correct way to lift) and this NS worker, bent over grabed Annies upper arm and started to pull. At this point I'd had enough of it and told her that the way she way trying to dangerous to her and to annie and that I would show her how to do it in a safe way. She then began to shout me down saying that she knew how to lift and it was infact my way that was going to hurt my back ( Ive had years of training and experance for this so i know i'm right) She refused to be shown and lifted her the wrong way anyway.
As soon as annie was back on the bed she started being (kinda) nice to her. I was so angry at this point but held it in because its not acceptable to shout in front of a resident.

Then later when I was filling in an incident report she started saying that care work is not for young people and I should find it boring. I told her that ive been doing care work since I could walk (sibling career) but that didnt seem to make a difference to her. I then told her that ive been doing volenterry care work with a charity since I was 13. Yet still she said that i'm to young to be a career and I should go apply to be a nurse of something.

The manager is gonna be in at 10 so i'm gonna go back there to make a complaint about this NS worker. I mean its not on!
I know I'm going to get in trouble with this NS lady cos at the home they seem to have a unwritten rule that you dont grass people up, but frankly I dont care. I'm going to do what right. she woman needs to be re trained!

Sorry I really needed to rant and also want some advice on how to deal with it if it happens again.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    thats mental. some people should just not be allowed to work in a care home or with people who depend on them. no wonder you are furious. take it as high as you can. annie is a person ffs. not an inanimate object that cannot feel.

people like that annoy me. i share in your frustration.

edited to say: could you not have buzzed again for more help? i dont know how it works.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good on you Zella. It's reassuring to know that there are people in the caring business who do actually care. We hear too often of people man-handling people in their care. Every one has bad days I know but to take that anger/mood out on someone who can't fend for themselves is wrong.

Complain to your boss about her. If nothing gets done then I'm sure there is an independant body who you can complain to.
  • Options
    I deal with care home workers all of the time and a lot of them are really mean! I have found that it is mostly older care home workers who are right pains in the arses. They seem to care mostly about how they are perceived by the families of the people they care for rather than actually making sure the residents themselves are happy.

You're doing the right thing - 100%. Good for you. :)
  • Options
    Most people who work in care homes are horrible people, in my experience. They aren't paid enough to be nice is always the excuse I hear, but tsk.

People like that should be beaten senseless. If it was may grandma being treated like that that care worker wouldn't be walking again either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    People like that should be beaten senseless. If it was may grandma being treated like that that care worker wouldn't be walking again either.

Damn straight :yes:

And that thing about not being paid enough to be nice...that's absolute crap. I'm nice (most of the time) and what do I get paid? Jack shit that's what!

It makes me wonder what the world is coming to.
  • Options
    You're best complaining - Don't let her get away with it.

That brings back horrible memories when I use to work in a Nursing Home. I mean I absolutely loved the old people. Some that could speak to ya were soo sweet and I enjoyed being with them. But I just couldnt cope with the way the care workers treated them. When their family was there to visit them, the care workers were nice as pie then soon as they go, they were mean little shits. Always soo rough with them when moving them about... or would shout at them when it wasn't even their fault. It was just awful.

From that I didn't last long as I couldn't work with the care workers. I just brought me down. :(
  • Options
    It's the same all over the place. There was a Daily Record reporter who went undercover in the nursing home 5 mins from me and the residents were treated brutily. The residents pay a lot to stay in these care homes and look at the treatment they get!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    From that I didn't last long as I couldn't work with the care workers. I just brought me down. :(

That's really sad :( It's them that should have left, not you.
  • Options
    Good on you Zella
  • Options
    Im impressed that even when you wrote in such a vexed state, you still said 'This woman needs to be retrained' rather than 'She needs to be fired or something else', which demonstrates a high level of professional thought.

I agree with Kermit as well, despite assurances to the contrary there are many people working in care homes who dont give a shit.

Pay is an issue but for gods sake do people lose their human rights when they become infirm?:confused: disgusting
  • Options
    i didnt realise stuff like this was going on :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    i didnt realise stuff like this was going on :(

Government conspiracy :yes:
  • Options
    I even more vexed now! The stupid bitch tried slaggin me off the the head career saying that it was me doing all that stuff! I mean how childish is that. She obviously knew that I was right and that I would complain about her. I got there first tho and I'm the one getting belived.

Me and the manager went though the books together anfd this woman has actually done manual handling training recently and just taken no notice of it.

I sooooo want to be the teacher for it jsut to show her what what but then I dont know that i'll be able to keep my temper with her again.