Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diet plan,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Help please,

Over the last few weeks I've become worried with some weight I put on, I also want to tone up but I don't know where to start, I was wondering if you had any information on how to do this? help to arange a diet plan for me, tips of the best ones to do and this is a biggy, Help with my will power, it's basicly shit as i love my food:)

now if you are going to flame me on this, please kindly refrain yourself, this is a sensative subject for me,

many thanks for the help,

Comments

• Options
    Try to buy low-fat alternatives for everything you buy. Lighter milk, cheese, etc.
    Snack on vegetables along the day. To make it easier cut up some cucumber and carrot sticks which you can take from.
    For dinner have half of your plate contain of salad or steamed vegetables, a quarter of meat, poultry or fish, and the last quarter of potatoes, rice or pasta.

Do eat sweets once in a while, as it's better than craving and suddenly going crazy and having the worlds largest chocolate feast.

And of course, eat less than you burn off. Which means, go out for walks or something.
  • Options
    Thank you jacq, the only problem is I think my mum might be a little relucant to start buying me my own food, and I don't earn yet, I'm sure I'll sort it, Thanks for the advice,
  • Options
    Just ask her if it's possible to exchange the dairies you usually buy with the low fat alternatives. Unless it's more expensive then I can't see why she wouldn't.
    If she has a favourite cheese, or can only drink coffee with a certain kind of milk then it's understandable, but I mean she can't prefer all of the dairies.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll speak with her:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Thank you jacq, the only problem is I think my mum might be a little relucant to start buying me my own food, ,
    eat less of the full fat stuff that she does buy then.
  • Options
    First, change your milk to Skimmed - I lost half a stone purely by doing so!
    Then, instead of using sugar, buy Splenda Sweeteners...

Also, eat as much fruit and veg as possible, and as LITTLE bread, potato, rice, pasta as possible - carbs put weight on.

Stick to low fat meals, and if you get uber desperate for something sweet, Marks n Spencers do a lovely low fat chocolate muffin desert in their 'count on us' range. Marks is awesome for low fat salad dressings too...

I've been 'dieting' since I was 12, and the only 'diet' I like was weightwatchers... but, try what I've suggested! It worked for me!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    carbs put weight on.

Too much food puts weight on. Carbohydrates are not inherently evil.
  • Options
    True - Carbohydrates are not inherently evil, but, they don't help people to lose weight!

Cutting out carbs or cutting down on carbs is a well known weightloss technique.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Eat everything you can get your hands on...... - well it works for me anyway :yeees:

That will not help someone who wants to lose weight.
  • Options
    Rachie.. thanks... if it was that easy i would do it...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Now this is the big thing, would anyone help me form like a plan of what to eat for the week, i'd rather do that than to take it day by day, I'd feel safer:)
  • Options
    in - jest - comment :rolleyes:

Go to your room, your not getting any supper for a week now for ya cheek.. :p

If anyone is feeling charitable and has a stone or two they wanna get rid of i`ll be more then willing to take it for free or in exchange for money/sexual favours (if female)

I`m in need of it, my metabolism is too damn good to make me put any weight on but i suppose everyone thinks thats great. There is definitely more help out there for people wanting to shift the pounds opposed to wanting to put weight on i reckon.

Hellfire if you got the money and time to spare you could join a gym. You`d have experts there who could advise you and your notice the difference physically if you keep going a few times a week.
  • Options
    Atm I cannot go to the gym (my back) and I could never afford it:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Now this is the big thing, would anyone help me form like a plan of what to eat for the week, i'd rather do that than to take it day by day, I'd feel safer:)

Sometimes it's better to do it a day at a time. Then if you slip up, you don't think, 'bollocks I've fucked up my whole week' and you can just start over the next day.

This may not seem like a good example, but when my dad quit smoking, that's what he did. He took it a day at a time, and if he slipped up one day, it didn't matter, because it was just one day in the big scheme of things. He just thought 'I'm not gonna have a cigarette today' and it worked, and he hasn't had one since before we were born.
  • Options
    Thanks but it doesn't feel that big, and if I do it day by day i'll think "oh it's ok to slip up today" and just quit, thats what happened before
  • Options
    So, you want to tone up but can't excercise, and you want to eat healthier foods but your mum won't buy them.

What exactly do you want us to do? How about stop fucking eating as much?
  • Options
    You need to set yourself a calorie limit, For girls I think 1200 is about right, but since you're a guy you'll need extra!

girls is supposed to be no less that 1500 a day (unless you're really small and really inactive). Guys shouldn't be less than 1800 a day.

if you eat too little, your body will go into starvation mode, and cling on to every last calorie.

eat regularly, eat healthy, fresh food, and drink loads of water. it's better to have 5 little meals than 3 big ones.

exercise doesn't have to be strenous, or at the gym. go for a 20 minute walk every day, and you will notice a difference. walk to the shops, walk to a mate's house, whatever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    So, you want to tone up but can't excercise, and you want to eat healthier foods but your mum won't buy them.

What exactly do you want us to do? How about stop fucking eating as much?
    hear hear.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    girls is supposed to be no less that 1500 a day (unless you're really small and really inactive). Guys shouldn't be less than 1800 a day.

Thats to maintain a weight though isnt it, not to lose it.
    I wouldnt lose any weight on 1500 a day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Thats to maintain a weight though isnt it, not to lose it.
    I wouldnt lose any weight on 1500 a day.

no, maintaining a weight is 2000 for your average female, and 2500 for your average male.

we need a lot more calories than we think we do. the trick is to get them from healthy foods.

like a banana has something like 120 calories, which is the same as 3 chocolate biscuits, but the banana has no saturated fats, and is loaded with nutrients.

it's all about eating well, and eating the right things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    hear hear.

Hear Hear?? What are we..? At a Boardmeeting? :eek2:

Always have plenty of fruit and nuts in ya. Replace your regular drinks with water. If you're going to have snacks try to take them during the day rather than night time.

Stay away from crisps and biscuits as they always weigh ya down. I always fing if you're going to have a treat, have a bit of chocolate or a lolly pop.

Ooo and most importantly always make sure you have a breakfast every morning. Preferably bran flakes or something like that as you need fibre in ya to... how'd ya put it... ahhh hell, to make sure you poo at least once a day as thats always a sign your eating right. :D

To tone yourself up. Only way to do that is to actually exercise.

Easiest, quickest way to give ya a good looking bod. Is sit-ups. I mean, ya see guys with 6 packs and ya think he would be fit. When really that's the easiest thing to get. So long as you do 20 sit-ups a day properly with your arms crossed on ur chest... control your diet and your abs will show through in no time :)
  • Options
    Good advice in the last post.

Bran Flakes are a great thing to integrate into your diet, as yes they contain dietary fibre and do bulk out your poop :lol: They're also just a much better breakfast option than these sugary cereals. If you have toast make sure it's wholemeal or brown bread...if you're a white bread fan then there's that Hovis (or something) Best of Both. I usually have fruit and yogurt for breakfast, or Bran Flakes. Of course, from time to time you have to allow yourself that chocolate croissant :D

The advice given about low fat dairy is advice you'd be very wise to follow. I don't drink skimmed milk however, because I think it's vile and doesn't taste like milk, so what's the point. It's the green top for me all the way...all the taste of full fat and far fewer cals. Of course it's great for calcium too. Butter is a downfall of many people, if you don't already then exchange your butter for a low fat spread, doesn't taste as good but it's fine and you have to make sacrifices. Yogurts are great and you can get low-fat ones which taste lovely and are good for snacks and desserts. It's also a good idea to get the probiotics as they aid digestion (they work, it's not just spin!!)

As for eating three meals versus eating more regularly in smaller portions, personally I like my three largish meals a day. I just space them out well, eat a balanced meal and always make sure I get my 5 fruit and veg at least. For snacks I eat raisins, sunflower seeds, any fruit I can get my hands on, cereal bars (Go Ahead Sultana and Apple - I think - is heavenly) and yogurts. At least once a week I have a normal size bar of choccie...more recently it's been organic, dark...which is said to have benefits...but as long as you limit the amount and frequency, chocolate and sweets don't do you any harm. I also loooove Squares crisps and won't be without them at least once a week.

It really is all about balance and getting the right nutrients and types of food into your body, as kaffrin wisely said.

As many have said before me, water is imperative. I'd say drink 8-10 average size glasses throughout your day, starting early because if you guzzle them all at 8pm you'll wet the bed :lol: When you first up your water intake, be prepared for toilet trips all the time...it's your body getting used to the fact that you're replenishing it's water supply...when it has realised that it's not in drought mode anymore and will be getting water regularly, it released the water it's retained. Best way to get rid of water retention, see an instant change in your figure (only slight, but still) and get the motivation to lose weight...is to drink water.

Take baby steps at first. Eat well, get any kind of exercise you can, take your vitamins and get lots of sleep. Weight loss and/or a hot bod shouldn't be your main goal..it should be a healthier, happier you...and with the fab advice you've been given, you've got no excuse!! :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Try the obvious, by eating less fatty foods, like fried eggs, or chocolate, crisps etc. Snacking is where alot of people fall down, well, I certainly find that anyway. Replace your usual snacks with fruit or raw vegetables, like Jacq suggested - cut up some carrots or cucumber. Try replacing white bread and rice with brown, or wholemeal - much healthier. Also, avoid eating late at night as your body can't work it off. Apparently you're not supposed to eat after 8pm or something for that reason...

You're not going to lose weight just by eating healthily though, you're going to need to exercise too. Go for a walk down the road, or a jog if you're feeling more eneretic. Perhaps a bike-ride with some friends on a nice day, and try a few sit-ups etc. Nothing too strenuous to begin with.

Oh yeh, and water makes all the difference. Put some tap water in a bottle/jug with a slice of lemon and keep it in the fridge, that way whenever you're thirsty just o and pou yourself a lass of cold water: Refreshing and healthy :thumb:

Note to self: If only I could take my own advice
  • Options
    please look at the date of these threads. This one is from 2004.
  • Options
    Closing this one now :)
This discussion has been closed.