Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not wanting to get up out of bed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lately as in the majority of last week & now continued onto this week i've been firstly waking up @ around 1pm which is a normal time for me.

But, instead of me getting out of bed after waking up I just go back to sleep even though i'm not particularly tired.

Then i'll sleep for maybe 1 1/2 ~ 2hours then i'll wake up again. But, then i'll do the same as above maybe 1-2 more times.

It's really wearied as I don't particular want to do it. It's like I wake up & go 'Fuck not another bloody day' hence I go back to sleep. It's like I need a pep pill to get me up & out of bed.

.:Crispy:.

Comments

• Options
    ah i went thru an 8 month stage of that not too long ago. sucks bad and after a while it just gets worse and worse every day. do you have reasons for getting up? more than just like friends and stuff but like work or other obligations? (kind of personal sorry) but have you ever had any history of depression? It could possibly be a sign of that, or that acting up. I don't really have alot of advice, but for me, I just simply had to force myself to get up. Its so hard but just think, if I dont get up today then tomorrow it will be even harder to do and ect. Maybe try and find something to do in the morning (or midday) so then you have to.
  • Options
    You need to get your arse out of bed as soon as you wake up. Your body's biological clock is waking you up naturally at this time because this is the pattern it's used to and it has had sufficient sleep. The first few minutes after you wake up, you still feel a bit sleepy, which is why it's easy to fall into the trap of rolling over and going back to sleep...don't do it! If you do then your body feels like it's almost hibernating and needs all this sleep.

I highly doubt it's anything more than needing to break this cycle. Get in tune to, and respect, your body's natural wishes and you'll be fine. However, if you're worried your doctor will of course dispense advice...although I reckon it'll be similar to mine. If you do do what I've said and still find that you're feeling extraordinarily sleepy, then it could be a symptom of something.

It's nothing unusual to sleep a lot, I reckon most people would if they could :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    ah i went thru an 8 month stage of that not too long ago. sucks bad and after a while it just gets worse and worse every day. do you have reasons for getting up? more than just like friends and stuff but like work or other obligations? (kind of personal sorry) but have you ever had any history of depression? It could possibly be a sign of that, or that acting up. I don't really have alot of advice, but for me, I just simply had to force myself to get up. Its so hard but just think, if I dont get up today then tomorrow it will be even harder to do and ect. Maybe try and find something to do in the morning (or midday) so then you have to.

After thinking about this, if it is indeed that you're mildly depressed then the best way to remedy it before it gets more pronounced is to indeed get up of a morning. Studies have shown that the light in the morning is more likely to lift a depressive state, and of course it's psychological...if you get up late and feel as if you've wasted/missed part of the day, you're gonna feel bummed.

Just another random thought :)
  • Options
    Yeah I think we can train our bodies to carry on sleeping when they don't need anymore sleep and the more you do that the more it needs and the cycle continues, but you can do the reverse too. You need to start by having a reason to get up - even if it's just meeting someone or goin swimming - make an appointment and stick to it - then you're up and your day has started. Kick the lethargy while you can!
    :)
  • Options
    Get the hell out of bed before 1pm. You need a sleep routine whereby you train your body to only need a certain amount of sleep.

The problem is probably complete and utter boredom. You obviously haven't anything to occupy your day and hence you stay in bed.

Get some hobbies, get outside and do something! I doubt you're depressed, you're just lazy!
  • Options
    Do you have reasons for getting up? more than just like friends and stuff but like work or other obligations?

I don't work & my friends all work so can't meet up with them. The only reason I had to get up was to go out on a driving lesson but now i've passed my test the lessons have naturally ended.
    (kind of personal sorry) but have you ever had any history of depression?

Nope no depression, although I can see how it could be brought on with my life for the past 2 years. But i'm very strong minded so things like depression or feeling suicidal I would never reach as I wouldn't let myself get to this level. I'd more likely to become insane & need to be put in a straight jacket & left in a padded room;)
    Originally posted by spanner
    Yeah I think we can train our bodies to carry on sleeping when they don't need anymore sleep and the more you do that the more it needs and the cycle continues, but you can do the reverse too.

Yeh recently I've been doing too much sleeping but then I also do the flip side where I won't sleep for say 3 odd days. Pretty buggered up really:D
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    The problem is probably complete and utter boredom. You obviously haven't anything to occupy your day and hence you stay in bed.

Get some hobbies, get outside and do something! I doubt you're depressed, you're just lazy!

I don't stay in bed all day I do get up but then i've got nothing to do so i'll end up staying awake for a couple of days until my body says it's ready for some sleep now.

I know i'm not depressed but i'm not lazy either as many people have made the observation that i'm a 'lazy git' but all this does it just puts me down & therefore digs me deeper into my hole.

It's all very well saying get outside but having a fear of the outside doesn't help me. My main hobby would be cars & driving but this costs money & due to my lack of a job & using a phone or even talking to someone enquiring about a potential job totally scares the shit out of me. It proves very hard.

I'd love to work full-time 6days a week but if nobody is willing to give me a chance by me using the method which I find I can do with ease(via e-mail) then it's a no win situation:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    I'd love to work full-time 6days a week but if nobody is willing to give me a chance by me using the method which I find I can do with ease(via e-mail) then it's a no win situation:(

That's the thing. Employers don't need to fit around [/i]your[/i] preferences, you're the one seeking employment (and ultimately a wage packet) from them. Basically you're gonna have to conquer this fear. I'm not discrediting it, I know people are scared of using the telephone...and I think a lot of people are a little nervous about it, especially when it's something like calling up about jobs etc.

When I feel unsure and start to think "oh maybe I won't bother" I think about what it is that I want to say to the person, and the information that I need to get across. List the main things you have to say in bullet point form, and use this as a guide whilst on the phone. Or even script what you're going to say...whilst you can't really do this with an entire convo, as they might not say what you'd anticipated...you can plan your opening words. It'll only ever get easier with practise. I know this sounds glib and patronising, but what's the worst that can happen? They can say "no", they could slam the phone down (although I doubt it). Nothing bad will happen :)