Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

dressing better

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to dress more fashionable, like in cuter more girly clothes, but I've worn jeans and T-shirts for pretty much ever. I just don't think I could pull off any other look, and then everybody I know would probably think I've gone insane or something. Any tips and stuff?

Comments

• Options
    wait......I'm I reading that right?????

you want to be more girlie? :confused:

I always imagined you beating up the trendy girls :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    wait......I'm I reading that right?????

you want to be more girlie? :confused:

I always imagined you beating up the trendy girls :lol:

well i wouldn't beat them up souly for the fact that they are trendy, but because they would appear to be somebody who would annoy me and deserves a beating :p but every once in a while i think... maybe, just maybe, i could be just a tiny bit more pretty looking. (after all, i am all boy lonely and stuff :p) jeans leather jackets and shirts with ninja turtles, minor threat or drew carey don't exatly scream, hey, i'm pretty too, take me home tonight.

even though in all actuality i've just had too many hc tonight and tomorrow when I wake I will throw on something that looks like I could sleep in and go out and have nobody think anything different of me and forget i ever even cared.
  • Options
    http://www.delias.com

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com

http://www.alloy.com

http://www.ArdenB.com

What I would suggest to you is go through some shops and see what you really like and adapt them to your wardrobe. It's important to have a style that you really like. I think it's awesome that you want to get girlie clothes :yes:

You'll be suprised by the responses you will get. Once you find a look that really works well for you, keep it. Use it from morning through evening with slight modifcations.

Have an outfit or two that you know you look good in. Make sure it both fits and flatters you- and it should be comfortable.

It's very important to have a signature style so that you will be remembered as someone who is unique. So many women will keep trying but never capture a look that falls away from the pack.

A playful style can also boost your confidence. Go ahead and start breaking some "fashion rules". Try on ornage lipsticks. Take some beauty dares. Add some color to your wardrobe. Dont be afraid to stand out, and dont be afraidf to make a mistake. Experiment until you find the look you're after. Try new colors and combine colors you already have. Play up one feature , and youll never look overdone. If you dont like what you've done, no problem, take it off and start again. Master two looks -daytime and evening, that you can do quickly.

We wear 20 percent of our wardrobe 80 percent of the time. the other 80 percent is a melange of special occassion wear, sales too good to pass up, trends gone past, wrong size, and sentimental attachment.

Any clothes you havent worn in a year, throw out or donate to the D.I.

Wear clothes that are your reflection. Adapt your own style to the times. If you have never felt comfortable with very tailored styles, then stop stockingpiling your closet with them.

-Dont buy anything unless you have something to go with it

-Make sure you can wear it all year because the seasonless fabrics are usualyl better quality.

-Shop by yourself because friends are not objective and the salesperson just wants a sale.

Stay away from last minute shopping, youll never find exactly what you want.

-Shop for a certain designer. there are designers who dedicate themselves to a certain type of woman. It will streamline your shopping to pick two or three who suit your style.

-also, Clevage is a daytime no so keep the plunging necklines for after hours.

Fashion donts:

Plastic shopping bags
    Exposed underwear
    Rubber dresses
    Lace hosery
    Lingerie inspirations
    Puffed sleeves
    Showing shape and skin at the same time
    White hosery unless your a nurse
    Micro tops
    Large handbags
    Plaid pants
    mix and match patterns

I could go on forever, so I'll make it short....

Style is that elusive "something" that makes a person stand out. dont mistake it with being "fashionable." Because style and fashion have nothing to do with eachother and fashion cannot give you style. You can run out and copy every new trends that's out there and look worse than if you ignored it all. If you take fashion too seriously, you've become a fashion victim.
  • Options
    wow, thank you very very much. i do own lots of clothes that i like and think look good on me (still not too fashionable though, just plain fitted tops from express and stuff similar to that) I guess its just wearing it instead of letting it sit there. And getting the courage to change a bit. But that was some damn good advice. Actually... you kind of made me realize, with a few alterations, my current style could even be a bit more girly, cuz it definatly is "me" and stuff. :) to you

also, i love shoes, really cute ones, and i guess if i dress better i could wear them but the problem lies with that alot of cute shoes have heals and I already feel like a self concious giant and I can never, not matter how hard i try, wear shoes with heals in public for fear of towering over everybody else. any tips on that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    And getting the courage to change a bit.

Wear something you normally wouldn't and go out someplace nice and see the reaction you get from people. It'll help encourage you when you see the reaction it has on others :yes:
  • Options
    Blnde_BombShell that was fab advice for anyone...it's made me think about my wardrobe, and I was happy with it before :D

You're a guru :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name

also, i love shoes, really cute ones, and i guess if i dress better i could wear them but the problem lies with that alot of cute shoes have heals and I already feel like a self concious giant and I can never, not matter how hard i try, wear shoes with heals in public for fear of towering over everybody else. any tips on that?

No worries hun. There are tons of stores with flats that are just as cute.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/jump.jsp?itemID=124&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=121&iSubCat=124&sort=0&viewall=All

http://www.delias.com/browseAll.do?categoryID=442

http://www.ae.com/AE_SectionShoesPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=770&Gender=Womens&CatalogFlag2=Shoes&Merchant_Id=1&CatalogFlag=FloorSet&Section_Title=StyleFlipFlops

There are alot of hot to death heels that aren't like stripper shoes. :lol::p

Embrace your tall body :yes: Models are tall :D I think it all depends on your attitude on it. I have tall girlfriends who wear heels (not all the time but they don't always stay away from them) and they look amazing because of the attitude they have about being tall. there will always be something you don't like about yourself, and sometimes the best you can do is just embrace it. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    Blnde_BombShell that was fab advice for anyone...it's made me think about my wardrobe, and I was happy with it before :D

You're a guru :)

hot damn, isn't she :D so far shes saved my nails and now my dress code ;)
  • Options
    I'm with Michelle, try going somewhere new where you may not know anyone in a new style and that will help you build up confidence. Also buying things that you can mix within your wardrobe, so you create your own style and can mix/match outfits... theres plenty of things you can wear!

Also you can prepare an outfit to go out on night with all your mates somewhere (ie. a special club or whatever) and completely blow them away with your transformation, everyone can look stunning if they put the effort in and you'll make an appearance that will make people remember you.
  • Options
    Oooh, I was already getting all excited with so much talk of fashion and getting dressed up! Then I saw these buggers...

fabbity-fab

I must have them...and the teeny problem of them not shipping overseas shall be overcome, because the sequins have hypnotised me.

Thank-ee for the link, you're a stah! :D
  • Options

I must have them...and the teeny problem of them not shipping overseas shall be overcome, because the sequins have hypnotised me.

These may be somewhat close to you (well one hell of alot closer than the states.

CECILLA HOUSE, 4 CECILIA ST & GROUND FLOOR OF 7 1/2 FOWNES ST, DUBLIN, DUBLIN 2--(00353)1 670-6202

36-38 KENSINGTON HIGH ST., LONDON, W8 4PF--(0207)761-1001

+STOCK EXCHANGE HOUSE, 157 BUCHANAN ST., GLASGOW, G1 2JX--(0141)248-9203

(I must warn you though, if you go to the store, make sure you are prepared to become addicted to everything there so be warning to you that you'll most likely spend more money than you intend to :blush:speaking from experience )
  • Options
    These may be somewhat close to you (well one hell of alot closer than the states.

CECILLA HOUSE, 4 CECILIA ST & GROUND FLOOR OF 7 1/2 FOWNES ST, DUBLIN, DUBLIN 2--(00353)1 670-6202

36-38 KENSINGTON HIGH ST., LONDON, W8 4PF--(0207)761-1001

+STOCK EXCHANGE HOUSE, 157 BUCHANAN ST., GLASGOW, G1 2JX--(0141)248-9203

(I must warn you though, if you go to the store, make sure you are prepared to become addicted to everything there so be warning to you that you'll most likely spend more money than you intend to :blush:speaking from experience )

Aw cheers chick, you're a fountain of knowledge. Me-likes :D

I have no doubt that if I set foot in one of these shops I'll be declared bankrupt shortly afterwards...but can't let that put you off eh :lol:

Thanks again!
  • Options
    If any guys want any tips, then feel free to ask or try purchasing the following:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/140005446X/104-7334119-2361553?v=glance

Excellent little book that you can read in the privicy of your own home!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Justin Sane
    If any guys want any tips, then feel free to ask or try purchasing the following:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/140005446X/104-7334119-2361553?v=glance

Excellent little book that you can read in the privicy of your own home!

LMAO.

Oh my hot little metrosexual.....what will I do with you now?? :p That's hilarious!!
  • Options
    Oh my hot little metrosexual.....what will I do with you now??
    Well I already tan and get my eye brows waxed, so theres a few things left you could possibly do, if your quick enough to take my cherry! :p
  • Options

If that proves to be a problem then try office

I remember chris bitch saying she wanted these. I know they're not the same but they're quite similar and are UK based.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carolina
    If that proves to be a problem then try office

I remember chris bitch saying she wanted these. I know they're not the same but they're quite similar and are UK based.

Ooh, they are similar aren't they!? Thanks for the link, may just have to get them :D