Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Folders, password

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok.. I use Windoze Me and want to add a password to all my folders as my bro has access.. how do I do this?

Comments

• Options
    dunno if that's possible.
    I think you'll have to create accounts for everyone using the computer (or one for you and one for all the others together).
  • Options
    We both got seperate accounts, mine and my bro but if you go to

C drive > windows > profiles > there is both users there, we can get into each others folders.
  • Options
    I think if you right-click on the folder you want your brother not to access and choose properties and then sharing, you could set it to not share with other users.

[EDIT] you'll have to be logged on as admin to do that though.
    and maybe check out Control Panel -> User Accounts for more settings[/EDIT]
  • Options
    Nada.. doesn't work:(
  • Options
    Sorry to Hi-jack your thread Hellfire, but i have a question regarding something you mentioned and have been meaning to ask for ages.

I am running Xp home on my machine, and have 2 account sset up, one for me and one for my younger brother, everything i do on my side of the comp, like install stuff gets onto his side, but if he installs stuff it doesnt do the same to my side, i also noticed that when i deleted desktop icons off his side they were taken off mine ?? Is this normal? Lastly I noticed that i can access everything on my brothers account when im logged in but he cant access mine.. surely this isnt right ??
  • Options
    Nada.. doesn't work

even in the control panel?
    there should be something saying like Users or Uer Accounts where you should be able to set up the accounts properly :confused:
    I am running Xp home on my machine, and have 2 account sset up, one for me and one for my younger brother, everything i do on my side of the comp, like install stuff gets onto his side, but if he installs stuff it doesnt do the same to my side, i also noticed that when i deleted desktop icons off his side they were taken off mine ?? Is this normal? Lastly I noticed that i can access everything on my brothers account when im logged in but he cant access mine.. surely this isnt right ??

I think you and your brother are sharing certain parts of the computer thus when on side deletes something, it's gone on the other side too. as well it could be because one of you is the administrator.
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX

I think you and your brother are sharing certain parts of the computer thus when on side deletes it it's gone on the other side too. as well it could be because one of you is the administrator.

yeh im set to Administrator, and his account is set to limited, however i thought this would still have given him overall privacy and not allowed me to still gain access to his documents ??
  • Options
    no, that'S what the admin is for. so that someone at least can change things back if someone screwed up ;-)
    you'd have to create your own limited account there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX
    no, that'S what the admin is for. so that someone at least can change things back if someone screwed up ;-)
    you'd have to create your own limited account there.

Ahh, well arent i a dumbass !

Thank you FLX
  • Options
    no problem ;)
    hope it works though. I've just done this once in my life on windows 2000 and it could all be wrong with WinME & XP
  • Options
    Me does not have user level account passwords, you'd have to use 2000 or XP.

With the other problem, deleting icons and such, you need to make sure you are putting the icons into your own desktop and not the "all users" desktop. However if you do that you will be working with different copies of the same file.
  • Options
    Fuck... anything I could do to make it secure? I really need to keep these files seperate.. the only thing is if i stick the pics/writings into a word document and password that:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Fuck... anything I could do to make it secure? I really need to keep these files seperate.. the only thing is if i stick the pics/writings into a word document and password that:(

download winRAR and create an archive file and store everything in there, use 0 compression but password it. Click on the archive file when you want something, enter the password, then just double click and browse for whatever file you want :) :thumb: seems to work for me.
  • Options
    that's a good idea! :thumb:
  • Options
    Go download PGP, an encryption proggy. If you download version 6 you can use encrypted containers (like an encrypted hard drive) and when ever you want to put file in their you have to enter a password. You can also encrypt single files and folders.

http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/win32/ (6.0.2)