Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bb Isp?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been surfing around and want to know what broadband ISP would suit my needs. I want:

1. An unmetered flat rate fee
2. Reliable connection at least 256/512k
3. A decent download limit
5. Good customer service

Was gonna go with Tiscali but it seem like they couldn't orginise a piss up in a brewery. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Well bt are kinda shit-ish but for £25 a week u get unlimited down rate till jan, then it's 15gig after that, u get a free voyager 105 modem and a 576kb line,

coustomer service can be poor but.. not bad for the cost.
  • Options
    Is it a stable connection? Like will I be able to connect when ever I want with out probs?
  • Options
    Blueyonder broadband.

No download limit, very stable connection, £25 or £27.99 a month for 712kb connection.

Its a big name and imo reliable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Blueyonder broadband.

No download limit, very stable connection, £25 or £27.99 a month for 712kb connection.

Its a big name and imo reliable.

sounds good, my bb is reliable. disconected me all of twise..
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'd go for Demon. 512k with no download limit, I've never had a connection bother and the technical support and customer service is top class. £24.99 p/m,
  • Options
    Bulldog ADSL do a primetime thing where it's 512 kb/s during the day and double that after 6pm great for downaloding overnight
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Bulldog ADSL do a primetime thing where it's 512 kb/s during the day and double that after 6pm great for downaloding overnight

I've heard that bulldog are the best, they won the industry award for best consumer broadband ISP I beleive :chin:
  • Options
    bulldog are good,

we have plus nets - that good too :D

cant see why anyone would wanna use freeserve or BT, simply cause if you actually need help, the smaller companies are cheaper to call, put you on hold less, and actually know what theyre talking about, and you get more services for less money
  • Options
    Ok cheers, will look into Demon.. I think either Demon or BT will be ok. :).
  • Options
    www.adslguide.org.uk will help you get a proper view :p

I currently use pipex 1mbit adsl service at £34 a month but they have a standard 512 service (both uncapped) at £23.44 which i have also used, I've never had a problem with pipex and have managed an 8 week constant connection without a disconnect using my router

but check adslguide and compare and read some reviews, afaik nildram and pipex are one of the best isp's for dsl in the uk

p.s, bto blows :-)
  • Options
    Ok, after what n00g said I think Pipex or Demon, I'll have a chat to my 'ol man and see what he says as it's not just for me. Thing is he like to go with these well known ISPs, where as I'm not to fussed as long as they give a good service.

BTW: What does uncapped mean?
  • Options
    uncapped means esentially "unlimited downloads"

most of the cheaper bto products, the 19.99 one for example has a 1 or 2 gig cap, meaning you can only download 1 or 2 gigs every month (the equivalent of a few movies) make sure you read the small print of the service you're applying to to make sure you're getting an uncapped service, capped 512 is about £20, uncapped 512 is about £24, depends if you think the extra £4 is worth paying to ensure that you wont get disconnected for several weeks if you have a night of heavy downloading.

saying that you seem to be on thesite boards alot so i would imagine you'd use a gig or two in just normal surfing :p
  • Options
    :p

Would gaming take up a lot of bandwidth?
  • Options
    go for madasafish.
    www.madasafish.com
  • Options
    By definition, BT are crap. Terrible service and bandwidth caps.

For the best cheap broadband, you want Blueyonder with cable, assuming you can get cable.

For (alot) more money theres always sat internet, but thats pricey and often capped.

With ADSL theres Freeola, which is very good, V21 which is also very good but doesn't have all the 'nifty' extras and no-one can dismiss Madasafish purely for their name and logo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by drgoo
    and no-one can dismiss Madasafish purely for their name and logo.
    the only isp i have ever used in five or six years. trouble free.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    :p

Would gaming take up a lot of bandwidth?

I assume you mean , "could i get away with using a capped service if i only did some gaming"

It all depends what game you're playing, but an hour of gaming is likely to use up between 5 to 10 meg, based on a halflife game using 2->3k/s in both directions,

you do the math :-)
  • Options
    Telewest Blueyonder for me, and it's very very good.

£16.99 for 256K.
  • Options
    I can't get cable round here. I think I'll go for Demon or Pipex now. Was gonna go with Tiscali but I heard from a few people that their service is wank, probaly worse than BT.
  • Options
    why anyone would get an isp which imposes a cap (i.e 1gb a month) i dont know...