Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cost of living...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, don't.

If you are short of cash and the company helps itself early, you will get fined by the bank for being overdrawn and/or having a direct debit bounce.

It is worth the extra £2/month in order to control when payments leave the account- companies on DD are bugegrs for helping themselves to money three of four days early if it is a bank holiday.

I think it depends on how you work out your finances & if you get paid monthy ect. We have lots of direct debits & it works for us as we forget!
    Just depends i think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Eco Kermit :D

I seem to manage that on my own :( sometimes including wine/beer.

Actually, I shall revise that up to about £70. Depends how flush we are feeling.

Quite often shopping for two isn't much more than shopping for one, especially for packaged goods. It doesn't matter how many people it's for, you can only buy, say, 6 eggs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I think it depends on how you work out your finances & if you get paid monthy ect. We have lots of direct debits & it works for us as we forget!
    Just depends i think.

We get paid monthly and once or twice we've been stung because they've taken money out early, like on a Friday when the DD is due on a Bank Holiday MOnday.

One OD fine and the £2/month is gobbled up and some.
  • Options
    We get paid monthly and once or twice we've been stung because they've taken money out early, like on a Friday when the DD is due on a Bank Holiday MOnday.

One OD fine and the £2/month is gobbled up and some.

We are always in the red anyway so doesnt make that much difference. Plus our DD are mid month so makes no difference if they take early.

Like i said it depends on the person/cirumstances.
  • Options
    I have, and so has my mum. It's not "bad budgeting", it's companies who take money out before they are due to take it out. It's happened to me a couple of times now where energy companies have helped themselves to money a day or two early, and it's thrown my budgeting out.

It helps to budget more accurately, but I much prefer just payuing the bill every three months at the Post Office.
  • Options
    It's not "bad budgeting"

Wouldn't dream of saying it was.:nervous: :p
  • Options
    Some of you might possibly be interested in this .

And this .
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We only spend about £20-30 a week on us 3. We do get some value stuff as we can't afford much & tbh we like it.

That's good going. I don't think we have had many weeks spending just 20 pounds for the two of us :o
  • Options
    Ok, here is my monthly budget...

Rent (+ water rates as my landlord is a nice man :) ) = £180 a month for a titchy room in a student house.

Electricity... umm, we pay it quarterly between 4 of us, and it's about £120, so that's about £10 a month each...

Gas... think it's about the same as electricity.... £10 a month..

Broadband and phone line rental = £35 a month

Phone calls + VAT... would probably be less than a fiver a month if it was just me using it, but unfortunately I have very chatty housemates! (and I pay the bill! They pay me back when it suits them :rolleyes: )

TV licence = £9.99 a month on DD at the moment, but this figure changes occasionally.. as Kermit says, it's £116 for the whole year.

Food = It's about £20 to £30, but this includes toiletries and cleaning stuff too (basically all the stuff I buy in the supermarket). Is it just me or does everyone else always run out of loads of different things (e.g. shampoo etc) at the same time?! :confused:

Mobile Phone bill = Around £20 a month.... I get lots of free texts and minutes for £20 and very rarely go over.

Council Tax is the lowest rate, £50 a month where I live. I'm not paying it at the moment, but will have to soon since I'm not officially a student anymore :(

Umm... think that's about it, apart from things I can't calculate such as occasional travel costs, presents, random drinks from machines, the odd magazine etc...
  • Options
    *bump* sorry to be a pain but i would like some more examples from people..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Some of you might possibly be interested in this .

And this .
    and this
    and possibly one of the most useful sites you will find

hth. :)
  • Options
    I'd give you my example but I have 5 kids, so I think that would skew it a bit.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options

you got 5sprogs.. wow.. i never knew that.. must be so much work for you.. (can i borrow one of you babys I've wanted a ickle kid atm and tweety won't give me hers)
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    tweety won't give me hers)

:p
  • Options
    :p

:( Evil
  • Options
    can i borrow one of you babys I've wanted a ickle kid atm and tweety won't give me hers)
    :eek2: That is a really really really strange thing to say :eek2:
  • Options
    aww.. why is it strange for a teenage boy to like kids, I use to baby sit the kids across the road, I get on really well with em :)
  • Options
    its not strange to like children. Its a good, fine and healthy attitude.
    Asking to borrow someones baby and saying Tweety wont give you her baby is a really strange thing to say, even in jest. Its kind of freaky.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    its not strange to like children. Its a good, fine and healthy attitude.
    Asking to borrow someones baby and saying Tweety wont give you her baby is a really strange thing to say, even in jest. Its kind of freaky.

lol... i was joking.. :p
  • Options
    thats why I said `even in jest`.
  • Options
    sorry.. missed that.. heh:(
  • Options
    I'm glad it isn't just me that's disturbed, RB.

There are some things you ask and say, and some things that you just don't. NOt, like, ever :no:
  • Options
    I'm glad it isn't just me that's disturbed, RB.

There are some things you ask and say, and some things that you just don't. NOt, like, ever :no:
    its kind of an unspoken rule isnt it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    its kind of an unspoken rule isnt it.

:yes:

Stopping and thinking about what one is about to say is normally a good way of not breaking social conventions as obvious as that. Many teenagers, alas, don't though.

Oh well, we've all done it :blush:
  • Options
    you got 5sprogs.. wow.. i never knew that.. must be so much work for you.. can i borrow one

Yeah, you can borrow the 13 year old, his name's Matt. :lol:
  • Options
    :yes:

Stopping and thinking about what one is about to say is normally a good way of not breaking social conventions as obvious as that. Many teenagers, alas, don't though.

Oh well, we've all done it :blush:

I guess it's a part of growing up... testing the waters... working out what is and isn't appropriate to say... guess we've all done it at some point, I know I have :blush: :yes:
  • Options
    hello?....graeme stop turning threads into a bloody chat room will you! :impissed:

more examples would be really welcome people, thank you.
  • Options
    I already gave a very good example :):p