Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

best kind of pain reliever...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got this rotten tooth ache that comes about every once in a while and its here again. So I was wondering what is the best kind of pain reliever for toothaches? Tylenol, IB..., Alieve etc... Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Oooo use some bonjella on your gum/tooth :)
  • Options
    try iboprofen.
  • Options
    is that like tooth ache reliever cream type stuff? I've already got about 3 different kinds of extra strength stuff of that, never works. I just need something to stop the throbbing pain.
  • Options
    Try the iboprofen then, and yes it is a gum/tooth pain relivier, it norm takes a while to take effect and you can't lick it off:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    try iboprofen.

thanks. that i shall try now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Try the iboprofen then, and yes it is a gum/tooth pain relivier, it norm takes a while to take effect and you can't lick it off:(

the whole point of bongela etc is not to lick it off. it is there to help you. it is not going to help if you eat it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    the whole point of bongela etc is not to lick it off. it is there to help you. it is not going to help if you eat it. :rolleyes:

I do know that but some people don't
  • Options
    I think anbesol or clove oil is better than bonjela, although bonjela does taste nice.
    I dont know about the painkillers youve suggested as theyre all american brands. Ibuprofen tablets are pretty good for toothache, but it depends what youre used to. If you dont take many painkillers usually then even paracetamol should work, but if you pop pills at the first sign of any ache or pain, then you might need something a bit stronger - maybe something with codeine in it.
  • Options
    bonjela is great for teething, but crap for toothache, cause all it does is numb your gums.

i don't know if you can get this in the US, but over here there's something called orajel, which is just a local anaesthetic, but it makes your whole head go numb. doesn't last long, but lasts plenty long enough to make you happy before your painkillers kick in.

as far as painkillers go, i've tried paracetamol (which i think is the same as tylenol), ibuprofen and some dental pain tablets which were paracetamol and codeine. they all seemed to work equally well. but the ones with codeine in made me a bit spaced out. depends if you're into that :p

talk to a pharmacist and they can usually sort you out.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    People in my family use something called "arnica" (I think it's a powder) for toothaches and it seems to help a lot.
  • Options
    arnica is a homeopathic remedy for making things like cuts and bruises heal faster. i havent heard of it being used for toothache before.
  • Options
    Re: best kind of pain reliever...
    Originally posted by my_name
    I was wondering what is the best kind of pain reliever for toothaches?
    Erm, visiting the dentist to get it sorted out? :D I suppose it's a problem that can't easily be sorted out though.
  • Options
    Ibruprofen is your best option, its an anti-inflamatory so its much more suited to this type of pain.
  • Options
    Re: Re: best kind of pain reliever...
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Erm, visiting the dentist to get it sorted out? :D I suppose it's a problem that can't easily be sorted out though.

oh gee, i never thought of that :p nah but i wrote it saturday and the dentists aren't open weekends. but thanks all, the ibstuff did work the best :)