Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Beads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of starting to make my own jewellery to sell randomly but I want to use seed beads and crystal beads. It difficult to find any patterns for bracelets and necklaces which use these beads so if anyone knows of anywhere i can find out how to make them...it's be much appreciated. :D thank u!

Comments

• Options
    I thought that said beards for a minute, then read the thread :chin:

Just a question...if your looking to make things to sell, shouldnt you maybe pick something you know how to make? that way you cut down on wastage of ones youve had to do for practise.

And on the topic of your thread...ive no idea.
  • Options
    I can recommend a very good bead shop which does mail order on loads of books, pm me if you want the address. However, this is a bit of difficult subject... strictly, you're not allowed to sell stuff from patterns which you've found in someone elses books or printed in magazines... something to do with copyrights... It's supposed to be for making your own jewellery, or jewellery as gifts...
    I'm not sure how you'd overcome that, and I'm also not entirely sure how strict the rules are. I make jewellery stuff with beads but have always made my own ideas up based on what I've seen around in the shops and stuff, so I'm not really sure what to advise... :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    However, this is a bit of difficult subject... strictly, you're not allowed to sell stuff from patterns which you've found in someone elses books or printed in magazines... something to do with copyrights... It's supposed to be for making your own jewellery, or jewellery as gifts...

yes. very true. intellectual property, or some such thing. i don't think you're even allowed to copy other people's designs, or things in shops if you intend to sell them. it's a bit of a dodgy area.

if you're just planning to sell them to your mates, you'd get away with it, but if you're selling them to shops, or online, you could land yourself in bother.
  • Options
    oh i'm not going to be using the patterns, I just want to see how they are done.

And I do know quite a bit about beading and stuff like that, I just wanted to learn some new techniques. :)

ok well it doesn't seem like anyone knows where I can go on the net. i'll have to buy myself a book and i was trying to be all cheap!:rolleyes: :lol: thanks anyway
  • Options
    Yeah, buying a book so you can use the techniques with your own designs sounds like the best option. Like I said, I can recommend a great shop for books on beading... I have quite a few...
  • Options
    Get a lapidary machine and some accessories... If you want something completely different to what you mentioned above, of course.