Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

divorce and age..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's someone at my workplace who is getting divorced at 21!!

To me that is FAR too young for such a thing! Is there any 'reasonable' age to get divorced??

Comments

• Options
    Depends though, if the marridge isn't working then no.. not to young to get a divorce, whats the point staying together if the person don't want to be together,
  • Options
    I don't think you can judge. It depends onthe circumstances.

My friend wants to get a divorce and she's 22.

It's sad when people rush into marriage. But there is no point in staying married just for the sake of it, creating misery.
  • Options
    Depends how much they have worked at making it work I suppose.

But then if one of them has done something unforgivable, like say bugger a goat then I can see why they would want to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty

It's sad when people rush into marriage. But there is no point in staying married just for the sake of it, creating misery.

:yes: excatly... why not, she made a mistake and now she's sorting it out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    like say bugger a goat then I can see why they would want to.

lol that made me giggle :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty

Perhaps.

I dunno, I just don't approve of people marrying at young ages!

Largely because I think it's too much responsibility at a young age.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Perhaps.

I dunno, I just don't approve of people marrying at young ages!

Largely because I think it's too much responsibility at a young age.

I do agree with you there but they relised the mistake and want to sort it out :)
  • Options
    Yes, but people got married much younger 20 or 30 years ago and the divorce rate with those couples is much lower.
  • Options
    And why is it a responsibility, I'm married and I'm not in any way responsible.
  • Options
    But then if one of them has done something unforgivable, like say bugger a goat then I can see why they would want to.

:lol: mmm, goats!!!
  • Options
    They are attractive in their own special way, its the curve of the back and that wanting look in their eyes.
  • Options
    And why is it a responsibility, I'm married and I'm not in any way responsible.

thats true:p
  • Options
    I think it's all a lot to do with the relative ease of getting married and (to some extent) divorced now, compared to ten, twenty years ago and more. It's less of a risk because you know you can get out of it and be largely unscathed.

Anyway my brother got married when he was 19 and was divorced by 22. Basically they were too young and had expected a life of marital bliss without doing any of the essential things beforehand like getting a steady job, knowing each other more than 10 months, having a house/flat etc :rolleyes: Glad to say he's got his head screwed on now, you can only learn from it eh.
  • Options
    Re: divorce and age..

They obviously aint happy so thats why they are getting divorced.
    Good on em, pointless staying together if they dont love each other cos what would that acheive ?
    If they have tried to rebuild the marriage but its not working then why not get divorced ?

I married too young, I was 18 and he was the first serious boyfriend i had. We rushed in, got married and it ended in divorce.
    Im now remarried and hopefully we will be together forever.......awwwwww :lol:
  • Options
    Yes, but people got married much younger 20 or 30 years ago and the divorce rate with those couples is much lower.

marriage is very different now. at least for some people.

most of the girls i know my age have at least one engagement behind them. thank god none of them actually did any marrying. it's not that marrying young means a couple won't stick it, cause they might, but increasingly people are getting married cause they see it as a huge, free party. sad but true.

it's this whole disposable culture thing.

there are still the traditionalists, who marry for life, and then there are the ones who marry for love (to an ill-advised person), and get hurt. but a lot of young people don't see marriage as a forever thing any more. they see it more like a long term relationship. fun while it lasts, but they can always get divorced.

and i agree with the rushing in bit too. if it's forever, waiting a few years won't make a difference. people change an awful lot at that stage in their lives. i'm a totally different person now than i was even at 21. and different again from when i was 18. it's all very well if you can change together, but a lot of people can't.
  • Options
    About the original post. I don't think there is such a thing as an age that it's too young to get divorced. It just sounds like they got married too young. :(
    If it's a marriage that's gone that sour, then it's best to get out and get divorced.