Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Behold! Mandy is back

Peter Mandelson back in frontline politics (again)

Has there been any other instance in history where a figure twice made to resign in disgrace has been allowed to come back for a third run? :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be fair i was watching the coverage on BBC News 24 this morning and it claims that the report of the "Cash for Passports" said that to force Mandelson to resign over that was quite harsh.

Anyway to the point, is this going to be good or bad for Europe. Again the news reports suggest that this is a god send for the euroskeptics.

Also it will be interesting to see what would happen in the by election...
  • Options
    Well at least the man is fiercely pro-European. It wouldn't surprise me any more if Britain had sent a eurosceptic to fill the post...
  • Options
    How much influence do you think he will have over there then?
  • Options
    Mmm... difficult to tell. I think Chris Pattern would have done a very good job.
  • Options
    Same old story. Not good enough for the UK parliament, but fine for EU Commissioner status.

Then people wonder why there is some skepticism in the UK with regards the EU. Appointing people like Patten, Mandy and Kinnock really send the wrong message about the UK's approach to Europe...
  • Options
    'Dumping ground' for has-beens eh? :D