Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shin splints

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What actually causes these and what do they feel like?

Recently I've been doing a lot of standing up and heavy lifting, and for the last two days the point above my feet has been pretty uncomfortable to walk on - I know they're from the shin bone rubbing against the foot, and I think it is this.

Opinions? And cures?

Comments

• Options
    I got shin splints alot when I went running and I'm not sure if you have this in the UK but I used this thing called "Icy Hot" and it helped alot. I just rubbed it on my shins and it would be really cold then it went hot. Worked really good :yes:
  • Options
    This might be of some use.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0161.htm
  • Options
    Cheers guys
  • Options
    It doesnt sound like you have Shin splints. To have them would normally mean pain rom the ankle to the knee and its possible to feel the muscle tears at the very front of your shin bone.

Normally caused by excersise after long periods of activity or crappy trainers.
  • Options
    i used to get them when I did tap, its all the strain on your shins, can be very very painful. best thing to do in all honesty is rest for at least a couple of days, because that way you're not putting extra strain on you damaged legs, its like not using your arm if you've broken it, in order to let it heal.
  • Options
    shin splints are most commonly related to running or other activities where pounding pressure is applied from the foot. it usually starts from fatigue of the muscle around the tibia and can cause pain when running or the other activities are being preformed. it can be sensitive to the touch also right around that bone. left untreated it can become more severe and move from the muscle to the bone causeing a stress fracture. the best way to treat it is anti-inflamatory meds, ice and let it rest a bit. i used to get shin splints all the time from soccer and it resulted in a stress fracture once. if by chance it is what you have (though it doesn't sound like it) you should be especially careful.