Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

F.A.O Vet types or anyone who knows about animals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right this is a plea for help before i have to go to the vet tomorrow(friday) with my cat.

He's really not been himself in the last few weeks, like crying, more like a howl, and been running to hide in coners. He is eating, but he keeps hiding away and looks really drawn and tired.
He was resued by us when he was 2/3 now he's 12ish we think. and we were moving house but its not the 1st time we've moved with him. its really strange and im fightend something bad will happen.

Ive already had to take my ducks to a farm because i cant take them were im moving to... i dont wanna loose my other and only pet:(

Please help?

Thanx... love sarah xxx

Comments

• Options
    He is getting on in age and he might just be reacting to the change in circumstances (old cats, like old people, don't like change!).

How's his mobility?
  • Options
    He's able to get up/down stairs walk and slighty run. He cant jump walls anymore tho.
  • Options
    Originally posted by _Hermione_
    He's able to get up/down stairs walk and slighty run. He cant jump walls anymore tho.

That sounds like old age. However, maybe if it's only recently then he's ill or something?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    That sounds like old age

Well sorry to correct you there but her cat is only 12. My mum's cat is 17 and he can jump, run and all that shit. he also eats like a horse. The only sign of old age is he pisses. A LOT
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Well sorry to correct you there but her cat is only 12. My mum's cat is 17 and he can jump, run and all that shit. he also eats like a horse. The only sign of old age is he pisses. A LOT

No I meant, loss of energy and that lot is what happens when cats get older, init. My cat is (I'd guess) 10 or so and she doesn't sprint around like a psychopath anymore.

I dunno anyway, I've just the one cat
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    No I meant, loss of energy and that lot is what happens when cats get older, init. My cat is (I'd guess) 10 or so and she doesn't sprint around like a psychopath anymore.

I dunno anyway, I've just the one cat

Lol sorry, I just read my last post over and it sounded cheeky. Yeah I know what you mean though (maybe my cat's on something :chin:)
  • Options
    each cats diffrent i know... but the crying... he just will follow me around crying or he'll just go sit some place and howl... its really scary as in it un-nervs me!!
    suppose i'll have to see what the vet says fri night...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    mist says -

Whilst your cat is not ancient he is getting on in age, and it's not unusual in my experience to see them start doing slightly odd things.

Moving house is stressful for cats too, so you will need to provide your cat with more attention than normal. :D
  • Options
    while 12 isnt the oldest recorded age for a cat, its still very old.
    17 is positively ancient.
    He might be really stressed out and frightened by the move.
    youre doing the right thing by taking him to the vet, the older animals get, the less happy they are about change, and cats dont like it at the best of times.
  • Options
    Originally posted by _Hermione_
    each cats diffrent i know... but the crying... he just will follow me around crying or he'll just go sit some place and howl... its really scary as in it un-nervs me!!
    suppose i'll have to see what the vet says fri night...

Any idea whether he is in much pain at all? when you pick him up does he cry? Does he stop crying when you are comforting her? Is he losing much fur? possibly ripping out his own fur